Creative Super X-Fi headphone holography
Jan 4, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #214 of 1,002
Just looked it up. Still no install button in Germany.
9B695189-2A2F-4C63-9B49-78ADF89620E3.png

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #216 of 1,002
Is there a problem with the Apple iPhone release plans? There used to be mention of the iPhone app but this has been removed. Not a peep about iPhones in a long time. You would think this would be a priority.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #218 of 1,002
I want to use this with my Noble Ciem's. Anyone know if that's possible?
A friend of mine who is a recording engineer always used to say that all DSP could do to a signal was f it up. Have things really advanced past that being the case?

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #219 of 1,002
I want to use this with my Noble Ciem's. Anyone know if that's possible?
A friend of mine who is a recording engineer always used to say that all DSP could do to a signal was f it up. Have things really advanced past that being the case?

I respect your friend. I know where your friend is coming from. There's a lot of truth in what your friend is saying.

Your friend is wrong.

As a recording engineer, he should know better than anyone, that there is a world of difference between good DSP and poor DSP, that there is a world of difference between good DSP applied poorly and applied well, that there is a world of difference between the good DSP of yesterday and the good DSP of today.

As a recording engineer, he should know the--massive--amounts of DSP that is applied to a signal during the tracking, mixing, and mastering process of producing music. If he means that all DSP can do is mess things up in the re-production process, he definitely has a point.

But, he is still wrong.

This is where he is right: DSP in the hands of a skilled engineer can make magic and spin a gold record. DSP in the hands of an untrained consumer can also make magic and turn that gold into garbage. There are so many, many, many ways for a consumer to mess up a well mixed track with consumer grade DSP. He is totally right about this, if you don't know what you're doing, the more you EQ, normalize, apply "surround sound," the more you are undoing all his hard work. If you don't know what you're doing, you don't even now how bad you've wrecked it. You think this phasey, boomy, compressed mess sounds good--until you go back to the original track. You realize how much better it sounds and that you should've just left it alone. It is--really--hard to get DSP right. That much is true.

Here's the thing, if you're still reading this rant.

Good DSP applied well can also make good magic on the end user reproduction side. And yes, good DSP has advanced so much in the last, say ten, years. The most recent part of that advance is that engineers are trying to take the controls out of the hands of these consumers. So instead of trying to adjust faders with cryptic parameters ("early reflection," "saturation," what the heck is a "Q"?, etc.) you take a picture of your ear and head, you (hopefully) enter in your headphone model, and voila, all the complicated work has already been done for you by someone like your friend.

I've mucked around with audio engineering and as an end-user I run a massive amount of DSP (EQ, multiple convolutions, upmixing, resampling to DSD). I honestly don't know if X-fi is there yet, but it is on the right track. I do apologize for this screed--especially when I haven't even heard X-fi yet! But, what your friend said, well, "them's fighting' words."

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #220 of 1,002
Great reply. I think what you say is very true. Whether SXFi have got it right remains to be seen. BTW, I lost touch with my friend ten years ago so you are right that what he said then may not apply now. Have a great day and enjoy your music!.

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #222 of 1,002
Is the Creative XFi Air headphone of any importance to me at all?

Yes, I have many Macs and IOS devices. However, I also have the SuperXFI amp and the complimentary Aurvana SE headphones, although I still need to find access to an Android phone to do the one time facial mapping thingy. Now here's my question: assuming I get to do that mapping one of these days, and am able to use the amp as desired with my Macs and ios devices, is there any reason why i might still need the XFI Air (headphone) variant at all?

I'd rather not buy the XFI Air headphone contraption, if I do not have to, to be honest, but I would like to know what other's think about this situation.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #223 of 1,002
The Super XFi team made it possible (thank you so much) and added me in their preview program. So now I was able to download the app also in Germany and do the individualization.

The result is stunning.

... although I still need to find access to an Android phone to do the one time facial mapping thingy.

It makes such a big difference to get the mapping and the correct headphones.
I have to be honest I bought a Samsung A7 to do this :wink:
From the current very short list from Super XFi I only own the HD 800. But this is like a charm. I have a great out of my head localization. Stronger than the Audeze Mobius.

I really hope they add some of my favorite headphones like the:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro
Fostex TH-X00
Sennheiser HD-25
Hifiman HE-500
mitchell & johnson MJ2

... Now here's my question: assuming I get to do that mapping one of these days, and am able to use the amp as desired with my Macs and ios devices, is there any reason why i might still need the XFI Air (headphone) variant at all?
I'd rather not buy the XFI Air headphone contraption, if I do not have to, to be honest, but I would like to know what other's think about this situation.

If you have done the individualization and you have got the right headphones from the list, it should work via the camera adapter with no problem. Will test during the weekend and let you know.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #224 of 1,002

Yes, I have many Macs and IOS devices. However, I also have the SuperXFI amp and the complimentary Aurvana SE headphones, although I still need to find access to an Android phone to do the one time facial mapping thingy. Now here's my question: assuming I get to do that mapping one of these days, and am able to use the amp as desired with my Macs and ios devices, is there any reason why i might still need the XFI Air (headphone) variant at all?

i have found that the SXFI amp drains the battery on the iphone really fast and you cant charge while its connected. so im getting the air because the amp will be using the heaphone battery.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #225 of 1,002
The Super XFi team made it possible (thank you so much) and added me in their preview program. So now I was able to download the app also in Germany and do the individualization.

The result is stunning.

It makes such a big difference to get the mapping and the correct headphones.
I have to be honest I bought a Samsung A7 to do this :wink:
From the current very short list from Super XFi I only own the HD 800. But this is like a charm. I have a great out of my head localization. Stronger than the Audeze Mobius.

I really hope they add some of my favorite headphones like the:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro
Fostex TH-X00
Sennheiser HD-25
Hifiman HE-500
mitchell & johnson MJ2

If you have done the individualization and you have got the right headphones from the list, it should work via the camera adapter with no problem. Will test during the weekend and let you know.

Why can't they add me to their preview list.... I am from Israel. they just keep saying I didn't buy it from them and yada bhada .... no reason . they can just add me if they can't add my country and if I did got it as a present from someone ? I hate them ,crap service, need to beg them to use the hardware you actually paid for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back