Creative Super X-Fi headphone holography
Dec 26, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #181 of 1,002
may be you need to borrow an android phone to personalise your super xfi. Install the super xfi app to take a few photos of your head.

since you have both Audeze Mobius and super xfi, it will be good if you can compare the 2 and give a review here.

i have tried the mobius. bought it as a gift for xmas. the mobius sound is still in-your-head stereo like atmos with the difference being the sound moves with your head. this is useful in gaming but a total negative in music or video. but realistically who moves their head that much where it would be needed? i dont game so i dont really know but to me it is gimmicky. as for the sound its fine. but its closed back which i do not prefer. it obviously does not even come close to high end audezes but for a mid-range headset it is good. SXFI is a completely different out-of-your-head effect so to me mobius and SXFI are entirely different categories and are not really comparable.

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #182 of 1,002
Enjoying these so far. My initial impression is that the SXFi + the AurvanaSE combo is much better tonally balanced for my ears than, say, the Mobius. I confirmed this with a measurement or two. Now, this seems to be a function of the Aurvana more than the SXFi. The SXFi adds a bit more bass (expected from the added reverb), and adds in an HRTF-y feature or two. Localization is angularly pretty good. Still not getting a super-pronounced out-of-your-head sensation, but it definitely removes the 'laser-beam into the brain' feeling. At some point I'll grab a headphone that isn't the AurvanaSE and see how the resulting curve looks; I'm interested to know if the SXFi aims to give the same response across measured headphones, or if it adds in a feature or two but maintains the overall FR response of the cans.

Am liking these with most material so far, music and movie, but that's probably mainly due to the headphones not slapping me in the face from 1-4kHz. Anyone know any good demos with deliberately surroundy material?

take a listen to this and tell me if it does not sound like the sound is coming out of your screen.

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #183 of 1,002
take a listen to this and tell me if it does not sound like the sound is coming out of your screen.

Again the sensation, turning the SXFi processing off-to-on, is of moving from between the ears to between the eyes. It's not out-out there but it's not bad for something that needs 3 pictures and a 3" aluminum stick. If one's goal is to stop a direct shot of Adele to the hypothalamus, the SXFi will do the trick. Am testing them out now on some 2L tracks (their hi-res test bench has surround examples as well); definitely a positive, immersive experience, but accurate?

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #184 of 1,002
Again the sensation, turning the SXFi processing off-to-on, is of moving from between the ears to between the eyes. It's not out-out there but it's not bad for something that needs 3 pictures and a 3" aluminum stick. If one's goal is to stop a direct shot of Adele to the hypothalamus, the SXFi will do the trick. Am testing them out now on some 2L tracks (their hi-res test bench has surround examples as well); definitely a positive, immersive experience, but accurate?

thats so strange. for me the sound is coming 1-2" in front of me. dont know what else to suggest if you have done the head mapping and headphone profiling. if you are using IEMs the effect is not as great. hope you get there!

p.s. id also suggest trying open-backs as closed backs dampens the effect about 20%.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #185 of 1,002

I also have both SXFI and Mobius. Mobius is more detailed, while SXFI is more out-of-the-head experience and delivers a more realistic room sound. Then comes the challenge: some audio source cannot be translated accurately on SXFI, whereas Mobius works better for all sources. Additionally, Mobius can be tweaked to increase the room effect but I prefer to keep it close. My view is that Mobius is able to map the multi-channel directions more accurately, but if you prefer a out-of-head experience, then Mobius lacks that perspective. I prefer Mobius for its multi-channel accuracy and musical details.

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #189 of 1,002
I also have both SXFI and Mobius. Mobius is more detailed, while SXFI is more out-of-the-head experience and delivers a more realistic room sound. Then comes the challenge: some audio source cannot be translated accurately on SXFI, whereas Mobius works better for all sources. Additionally, Mobius can be tweaked to increase the room effect but I prefer to keep it close. My view is that Mobius is able to map the multi-channel directions more accurately, but if you prefer a out-of-head experience, then Mobius lacks that perspective. I prefer Mobius for its multi-channel accuracy and musical details.

Mobius has too much that can 'go wrong' that does for me, and not enough tools available to fix the wrongs. If/when they add in a few more features (EQ, virtual speaker placement) I will revisit them, but the SXFi gets enough right that maybe I'll just sell the Mobius and get on with life.

thats so strange. for me the sound is coming 1-2" in front of me. dont know what else to suggest if you have done the head mapping and headphone profiling. if you are using IEMs the effect is not as great. hope you get there!

p.s. id also suggest trying open-backs as closed backs dampens the effect about 20%.

There's DSP stuff I can try to make things more realistic, but the hope was for something with minimal baggage. Initial impressions are making me hopeful that I can live with them as-is, even if their musical sphere is somewhat smaller than I'd like. I imagine there will be some hot-hot firmware action going on soon as well that might add some extra possibilities.

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #190 of 1,002
so when you listen to the SXFI + Mobius, and turn the SXFI on and off, you prefer the SXFI off?

I did not test SXFI + Mobius. To elaborate on my experience (I wrote a review article on Mobius), the SXFI is more impressive the moment I tried it. It is more "wow", it sounded different because of the out-of-head holographic magic. Mobius, when I started playing the music, sounded ok, until I started to move my head and realise what they did there - stationary sound localisation. SXFI is great for movies and laid-back music listening. Mobius works better for critical multi-channel listeners who want to uncover where each instrument comes from which of the 7.1 speakers. It's fun and interactive.

Both are keepers, if you ask me. It's not which one is better. Both offers different experience.

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #191 of 1,002
Mobius has too much that can 'go wrong' that does for me, and not enough tools available to fix the wrongs. If/when they add in a few more features (EQ, virtual speaker placement) I will revisit them, but the SXFi gets enough right that maybe I'll just sell the Mobius and get on with life.

I won't dispute that since your listening preference is different. I'm quite happy to know that SXFI gets it right for a lot of people. I'm proud of what Creative Labs has done for the audio community. Cheers!

Dec 27, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #192 of 1,002
may be you need to borrow an android phone to personalise your super xfi. Install the super xfi app to take a few photos of your head.

since you have both Audeze Mobius and super xfi, it will be good if you can compare the 2 and give a review here.

Unfortunately the Super XFi app isn’t available in Germany at the moment. So I have to wait for this.

Dec 27, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #193 of 1,002
Did an FR comparison between SXFi on/off with a couple of cans you can select in the app. See here. Looks like there is a response that both cans are moving toward in varying amounts. In other news, ITD is about 208µs using my customized profile. That's a bit lower than the typical dummy head 30deg value; would be interesting to see how this varies by person.

Dec 27, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #194 of 1,002
Does anyone have a link to a photo of the Aurvana SE headphones which comes complimentary with early purchases of this unit? Not that I think it is anything special (given that it is a freebie), but I just want to see how it looks like. I just purchased one of these amps, just to compare its performance with the Mobius, and the Sennheiser GSX 1000 for watching movies on my MBP laptop.

thanks

Dec 28, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #195 of 1,002
Does anyone have a link to a photo of the Aurvana SE headphones which comes complimentary with early purchases of this unit? Not that I think it is anything special (given that it is a freebie), but I just want to see how it looks like. I just purchased one of these amps, just to compare its performance with the Mobius, and the Sennheiser GSX 1000 for watching movies on my MBP laptop.

thanks

It basicly the CAL!

https://sxfi.com/pages/aurvana-se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back