Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Sep 2, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #871 of 3,608
No major problems here !

One thing I've noticed thought with win10, the little app/notification silder that comes up in the left top of the desktop doesn't correspond to the control panel or windows sound panel ! The volume can be zero but this slider can show 20 out of 100, if I slide it down to 0 & then lift the volume up it works but then if you use the knob or the X7 panel it remains the same on the slider ? It worked in win8.1 perfectly. I noticed this before the new win10 drivers came out & it seems to be still there. As much as its not a major problem, I do use this slider as it shows be what level the volume is without opening any apps.

I'm due to wipe my C drive & place win10 fresh so I'll see if that fixes it should no one else have the issue.

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #872 of 3,608
the "problem" with the T6120a2 or the X7 in general is that it doesn't offer enough voltage swing for the HD 800. It's less a signature problem because that's a matter of taste.
The Valhalla 2 with stock (I replaced the 6N6P with 1980s) is neutral as well but drives the HD 800 noticably better. 

So it's not ideal but it's still good for games and movies or let's say the HD 800 doesn't become a K701 due to the X7. It's still superior, just not getting driven good enough.

A simple VALI + X7 would do the HD 800 very good but Creative dropped digital/LO headphone mode after the X-Fi series so the X7 is still the best option out there. One simple firmware away from being a great flexible device. Kinda sad....

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #873 of 3,608
@all: That's reassuring. 
smile.gif

Quote:
No major problems here !

One thing I've noticed thought with win10, the little app/notification silder that comes up in the left top of the desktop doesn't correspond to the control panel or windows sound panel ! The volume can be zero but this slider can show 20 out of 100, if I slide it down to 0 & then lift the volume up it works but then if you use the knob or the X7 panel it remains the same on the slider ? It worked in win8.1 perfectly. I noticed this before the new win10 drivers came out & it seems to be still there. As much as its not a major problem, I do use this slider as it shows be what level the volume is without opening any apps.

I'm due to wipe my C drive & place win10 fresh so I'll see if that fixes it should no one else have the issue.

Would be nice if you could report if you could fix the problem.

Did the guys without problems use Windows 10? I'm using Windows 10 ...

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #874 of 3,608
Would be nice if you could report if you could fix the problem.

Did the guys without problems use Windows 10? I'm using Windows 10 ...

Have you see this/experienced it ?
I'll know if its a fault of the "upgrade" once I've formatted the drive, the creative rep that stated the drivers release did say if any problems post here but I will send a ticket if it replicates the same issue.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #877 of 3,608
Transisting from windows 7 to windows 10 was one of the smoothest upgrade so far for me since windows 3.11 days. Performance wise, it's been great and no conflict of X7 drivers too. Only had issues with my Jriver WDM which was a small thing.

Been using my x7 and emu speaker combo for past 3-4 months and it's been great. The speakers put out good bass down to 40-50Hz better than I expected. A good setup for anyone to start off with for gaming, audio and movies. Like others have mentioned it has a dry & analytical sound especially with the direct mode, similar experience with headphone and speaker out.

No regrets so far with my purchase. Thanks to the great write up for introducing this product to my life :)

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #878 of 3,608
So I'm running OS X and downloaded Audio Hijack which let's me output different apps to different audio sources, and now can play a movie via SPDIF out in my living room via VLC and have music playing in the bedroom or an apple tv running. Definitely what I needed or my GF would have murdered me. 

The biggest issue with the X7 is the wretched software. Controlling the sources, adjusting the volume, EQ'ing is a pain in the butt because unless you're at your computer you are adjusting controls via the bluetooth app which takes 30 seconds to load, and another 10 seconds or more for each menu you hit to load. If this thing had some kind of IR remote or something else to control at the very least, volume, then I'd be more on board with this device as a great home solution. As it stands, I think this is really a $400 desktop solution. Part of it is probably my fault for overestimating the capabilities of this thing for my own needs, but again, I just didn't think the software would make the experience so poor.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #879 of 3,608
I totally would trade this thing for a Violectric V100. X7 is a great unit for anyone just using it for gaming (still having rando issues with the windows 10 software, maybe i'll roll back) but I kinda want a standard desktop amp/dac solution and use my onboard SBX optical out to a dac/amp. Might put this up for sale or a potential trade + cash for a v100/200.

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #880 of 3,608
  EQ'ing is a pain in the butt because unless you're at your computer you are adjusting controls via the bluetooth app which takes 30 seconds to load, and another 10 seconds or more for each menu you hit to load. 

Loads within 5 seconds for me on Android and each menu is maybe a half second delay

Set up some profiles for your different EQ settings

That said - an IR remote would greatly improve useability

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #881 of 3,608

Loads within 5 seconds for me on Android and each menu is maybe a half second delay

Set up some profiles for your different EQ settings

That said - an IR remote would greatly improve useability

Perhaps it's just the iPhone app, but it runs like garbage on my 6+. 
triportsad.gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #882 of 3,608

Perhaps it's just the iPhone app, but it runs like garbage on my 6+. 
triportsad.gif

agreed app is terrible on the iPhone, i can bluetooth music from my phone from a decent distance but to use the app i have to be within 1.5m otherwise it doesn't detect the x7 despite music playing.

not a game breaker but the app gets nearly no use i just deal with what ever setting i have.

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #883 of 3,608
Hello,
        I purchased an X7 2 days ago and I have some doubts about its capabilities and how to configure the direct mode:
                 1st) If I open the properties of the speakers in the windows mixer, in the advanced options tab under default format I can only see 16bits 44.1kHz and 16bits 48kHz. options. Is this normal?? The other 24bit capable cards that I own, show in this dialog the 24 bits options (192kHz.).
                 2nd) To play music I use foobar2000 and normally, to send a bitperfect 24bits stream to the DAC I select the ASIO or WASAPI outputs. With this X7 if I select its ASIO drivers I'm always getting an error message. If I select WASAPI with a resolution other than 16 bits, and the frequency is different than 44.1kHz i'm also getting an error message. So, at this moment, my only possibility to play a HighRes (24 bits) music file is selecting the standard output through the windows mixer which I suppose is downgrading the quality to CD level (44.1 kHz/16bits). How can I configure the software to really listen the high quality (24bits 192kHz.) stream in direct mode?

Thank you.
Albert.

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #884 of 3,608
Just received the X7 from Creative. This one appears to be working just fine. Thanks guys.

BTW guys, I can't stress this enough, I seriously recommend you do not use Direct Mode. Direct Mode is thinner in sound. Software mode is fuller and better to my ears.

I'd probably only use Direct Mode for headphones that sound too boomy, flabby or congested.

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #885 of 3,608
  Hello,
        I purchased an X7 2 days ago and I have some doubts about its capabilities and how to configure the direct mode:
                 1st) If I open the properties of the speakers in the windows mixer, in the advanced options tab under default format I can only see 16bits 44.1kHz and 16bits 48kHz. options. Is this normal?? The other 24bit capable cards that I own, show in this dialog the 24 bits options (192kHz.).
                 2nd) To play music I use foobar2000 and normally, to send a bitperfect 24bits stream to the DAC I select the ASIO or WASAPI outputs. With this X7 if I select its ASIO drivers I'm always getting an error message. If I select WASAPI with a resolution other than 16 bits, and the frequency is different than 44.1kHz i'm also getting an error message. So, at this moment, my only possibility to play a HighRes (24 bits) music file is selecting the standard output through the windows mixer which I suppose is downgrading the quality to CD level (44.1 kHz/16bits). How can I configure the software to really listen the high quality (24bits 192kHz.) stream in direct mode?

Thank you.
Albert.

Did You install the software suite that comes with the X7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back