Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Sep 6, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #886 of 3,608
Creative, there is something that I just realized when using speakers (first time ever using the speakers option).

It clashes with the headphone settings. If you configure the X7 for headphones (which need to be set to 5.1 in order to use SBX properly), the speakers miss out on all the information that isn't left/right channel. This shouldn't be happening (headphones still get all information even with 5.1 selected). This essentially means, that if you're a headphone user that also uses stereo speakers, you have to constantly go into the Windows sound devices and set configure speakers to stereo when using speakers, and 5.1 when using headphones. I'm willing to bet that is an extra step some people are missing out, which is why their speakers aren't getting subwoofer audio.

The software program for the X7 should have a setting that downmixes 5.1 into stereo for when using speakers. Like a checkbox for those with only 2 speakers. That way, once you switch to headphones, windows believes it is still at 5.1, so SBX headphone users keep our 5.1 information for SBX to do its thing.

If you go into the X7's software and change the speaker to only the front speakers/stereo, it hard switches the windows sound setting to stereo. Once you go back to headphones, it's in stereo, meaning those who are playing video games with SBX, are NOT getting proper SBX headphone surround, because again, SBX needs to be fed a 5.1 signal in order to get SBX surround properly for headphones.

This means, that any and EVERY time you go from headphone to speaker, you're forced to go to the Windows sound devices, and switch from 5.1 to stereo/vice versa. I'm betting some people are forgetting, and when they play games with headphones after using speakers, they're not getting proper headphone audio/SBX.

I recommend that as of right now, people leave the speaker setup at 5.1 even if you're only using stereo speakers. Music only uses the two front channels anyways, so it's no big deal. If you're on games or movies when using speakers, make sure that the games they are only outputting stereo sop you don't miss audio information, or just having windows sound devices ready to switch from 5.1 to stereo every time you switch from headphones to speakers.

This isn't a complaint, but some suggestions, due to these issues being something that was probably just overlooked. The ideal solution for me, personally, is that headphone mode has it's own windows sound devices settings, and speaker mode has it's own as well, that way when you switch, headphones can stick to 5.1, and speakers to stereo, without you having to switch every time.

This doesn't affect me personally as I was only testing the speaker option, and isn't something I don't currently use. Just thought I'd point it out for those who do use both speakers/headphones and are wondering why their speakers may be missing audio, and/or their headphones aren't getting proper surround.

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #887 of 3,608
Just received the X7 from Creative. This one appears to be working just fine. Thanks guys.

BTW guys, I can't stress this enough, I seriously recommend you do not use Direct Mode. Direct Mode is thinner in sound. Software mode is fuller and better to my ears.
I'd probably only use Direct Mode for headphones that sound too boomy, flabby or congested.

Better is subjective, I know some people try really hard to stick to Direct Mode, but I also tend to stick to leaving Direct Mode off. Mostly because I'm playing games with it so often, but also because some things on Netflix (and TV in general) have random moments that BLAST the volume all of a sudden, so I like to use a little smart volume for that. Ok, LOVE smart volume for that, because I hate when people are talking too quiet and then a show's intro titles explode and I imagine both of my neighbors hating me.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #888 of 3,608
All audio is subjective. What I'm saying as a personal recommendation is that Direct Mode off, sounds more in line with what I expect amps to sound like. There is a certain fullness to it that direct mode lacks. It's like the energy was sucked out of the sound. I'm sure it's cleaner, but it just sounds a bit lifeless in direct comparison. Of course, this is quite subtle, so it's not night/day.I would still use direct mode for bottom heavy, thick sounding headphones.

Creative, please, PLEASE, in the future, is it possible for you guys to change from the horrible as all hell micro-usb input to a usb-B input (the printer type)? USB-B just makes all the sense, and lasts a LOT longer than micro. Both the cable and the input are less prone to breaking/a lot more sturdy. I just had to throw away yet another micro usb cable that wasn't working.

I can't wait for Type C. It can't come soon enough.

Now I have to go online and buy yet another micro usb. Not your fault, but it's just the worst input for a big device like this. The cable that comes with the X7 is not long enough to go from my PC/laptop to where I place my X7. I think all companies need to supply longer cables as a precaution. You can always roll it up. If a cable is too small, you're out of luck. Now, I'm pretty much out of luck, as all my long usb cables are in use, so now I have to put my X7 far away from me.

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #890 of 3,608
If you have passive speakers you want to use, yes. If for headphones, no. It's essentially the same stuff as the standard, but a lower output impedance for headphones, which would only really help out stuff like IEMs. Most headphones impedance is past the point where the higher output impedance of the standard X7 would be detrimental. Basically, if your headphones are over like 20ohms, you're better than fine. Even if below, it's still not going to do much.

Also, the standard has less noise floor than the LE, going off the tests done by Earfonia here.

Creative was nice enough to provide me with an LE, even though my faulty X7 was a standard. As of right now, I can't tell a sound signature difference between them, though I hadn't heard the standard in weeks, so take that with a grain of salt.

I do really like the LE's capabilities for the bookshelf's speakers I used.

I personally would save $100 and go for the standard if headphones are the main use. If you feel like you'll use non-powered speakers, then the LE will be a better choice.

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #891 of 3,608
If you have passive speakers you want to use, yes. If for headphones, no. It's essentially the same stuff as the standard, but a lower output impedance for headphones, which would only really help out stuff like IEMs. Most headphones impedance is past the point where the higher output impedance of the standard X7 would be detrimental. Basically, if your headphones are over like 20ohms, you're better than fine. Even if below, it's still not going to do much.

Also, the standard has less noise floor than the LE, going off the tests done by Earfonia here.

Creative was nice enough to provide me with an LE, even though my faulty X7 was a standard. As of right now, I can't tell a sound signature difference between them, though I hadn't heard the standard in weeks, so take that with a grain of salt.

I do really like the LE's capabilities for the bookshelf's speakers I used.

I personally would save $100 and go for the standard if headphones are the main use. If you feel like you'll use non-powered speakers, then the LE will be a better choice.

the upgraded power pack can be bought for $25, so if white is worth $75 than sure otherwise stick with the standard.

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #893 of 3,608
  the upgraded power pack can be bought for $25, so if white is worth $75 than sure otherwise stick with the standard.

That's the route I went.

Is it confirmed that the only difference between the 2 is the powerpack?

The floor noise and lower headphone impedance mentioned as being on the LE appears on the standard X7 once the power pack is upgraded?

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #894 of 3,608
Creative was nice enough to provide me with an LE, even though my faulty X7 was a standard. 

Have you had a chance to have a real play with it yet?

How are you finding the exchange unit?

Would be interested in your thoughts on it now that it's actually useable for you as an (almost) complete solution

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #895 of 3,608

That's the route I went.

The floor noise and lower headphone impedance mentioned as being on the LE appears on the standard X7 once the power pack is upgraded?

Oh no, the LE has lower impedance which has nothing to do with the power pack.

I cant speak of the noise floor as i don't have the LE

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #897 of 3,608
Have you had a chance to have a real play with it yet?

How are you finding the exchange unit?

Would be interested in your thoughts on it now that it's actually useable for you as an (almost) complete solution

Well, it's working, so that's a good start. I haven't had too much of a chance to use it this weekend, except testing the speaker option, and seeing how Speaker options can impact headphone menu selections, which I've mentioned a page or so ago.

Haven't had any weird crackles or pops like my first X7, though time will tell.

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #898 of 3,608

That's the route I went.

where did you find it at $25? 

btw thanks hi2chris for your reply

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #900 of 3,608

where did you find it at $25? 

btw thanks hi2chris for your reply

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/351328618945?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

is the one I got

Users who are viewing this thread

Back