Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Sep 8, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #901 of 3,608
  also found this nifty device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwtKujw0toA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superspot%C2%AE-Adaptor-Bluetooth-Headset-Wireless/dp/B014HVNWZ2

http://pl.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/creative-bluetooth-audio-bt-w2-usb-transceiver

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #903 of 3,608
The device he listed is 1/2 the price. If it works with the x7, it's obviously a better spend.

The device he listed prohibits use of the microphone built-in to bluetooth headset. Instead it relies on it's own small microphone plugged into the controller (far from mouth)

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #904 of 3,608
  The device he listed prohibits use of the microphone built-in to bluetooth headset. Instead it relies on it's own small microphone plugged into the controller (far from mouth)

Can you not simply go into the ps4 microphone settings and select another mic?  or use the bluetooth unit to pair to the x7, then not even plug in the included mic?

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #905 of 3,608
  Can you not simply go into the ps4 microphone settings and select another mic?  or use the bluetooth unit to pair to the x7, then not even plug in the included mic?

For the user to select another mic, they first would've to own one. Pairing the device with the X7 would only result in the chat audio being transmitted to the X7, but not from the X7.

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #907 of 3,608
I need a dac/amp solution for my Fidelio X2 and it has to have an optical input for my PS4.  What is going to jive best with a low impedance headphone like the X2?

Right now I'm considering Schiit M2 stack, Sound Blaster X7, Sound Blaster E5 (or G5), and the Aune X1S.

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #908 of 3,608
  I need a dac/amp solution for my Fidelio X2 and it has to have an optical input for my PS4.  What is going to jive best with a low impedance headphone like the X2?

Right now I'm considering Schiit M2 stack, Sound Blaster X7, Sound Blaster E5 (or G5), and the Aune X1S.

The X7 is the only one that will give you headphone surround 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #910 of 3,608
  Is surround really that important when using an open-back headphone like the X2 with such a wide soundstage?  

I have listened to that Skyrim Dolby surround demo on YouTube and surround sounded way worse (with X2 connected to onboard).

Well, 1] it's YT 2] It takes a bit of time to adjust to the way surround projects things 3] on-board audio is not very good
Plus, the X7 is a solid DAC/amp anyway, even if used in stereo only, so if you so choose, you can still game in stereo anyway.
I prefer headphone surround to stereo. To me, it is amazing and a life saver in games where quick reactions matter. The immersion is also a notch higher.

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #911 of 3,608
Is surround really that important when using an open-back headphone like the X2 with such a wide soundstage?  

A headphone can have an infinite open soundstage. All that soundstage means nothing if all it's getting is a left/right stereo signal. You can't make something out of nothing. Virtual surround is ensuring that a full 5.1/7.1 signal is being converted into a way that headphones can hear things in front/behind you, something standard stereo can't do. This is why I have specifically mentioned that I would rather take a $20 headphone with the cheapest virtual surround device, than a $1 million dollar option that is plain stereo.

As always, people need to understand that it is more like SPEAKER audio being virtualized into headphones. Of course it's gonna sound different than a strict regular headphone audio. It takes getting used to because the sound is basically emulating a room with speakers, and not HEADPHONES.

If you and I were playing, and you had a $1 million dollar headphone setup in stereo, and I had a cheap as all hell setup with virtual surround, I would be able to tell what's in front and behind based on audio cues, and you couldn't. Let's say you're in the center of a clock, when you're trying to hear whether an enemy is either at 2 o' clock, or 4 o' clock, I would have already killed them, easily based off sound ALONE.

I've said way too much in this matter, not going to anymore.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #913 of 3,608
Man, I am going to sell my Bifrost Uber and get X7+Decent Mic setup, the ADC on X7 is simply amazing, would work really well with high end condenser mics...Not that Bifrost is bad, it is probably superior sonically to X7, But I like the functionality and SNR more on the X7...Gotta buy something that you would actually use.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #914 of 3,608
I'm currently using Klipsch Promedia 2.1 with Seinnheiser HD590 on my PC. I'm pretty happy with the sound, which is balanced use for music, games (FPS) and the occassional movie.

But I'm quite intriqued if the X7 LE with XM7 bookshelf speakers would present a noticeable difference to my current setup.

Any advice?

This offer is currently ongoing:

X7 LE with XM7 speakers at SGD599 (expiring soon).

http://sg.creative.com/p/deals/sound-blaster-x7-limited-edition-best-companion-deal

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #915 of 3,608
Hi VBlaster

I bought the plain X7 to power my Sennheiser HD600s and listen to flac files through a media player. It works quite well. But as far as powering bookshelf speakers I think I would prefer a regular amp. Still you would hear a difference, whether it was a 600 dollar difference would be another matter. I think the X7 is an excellent sound card and that is the main reason I bought it. It obviously has a lot of other capabilities but I wouldn't say get the system strictly for its speakers, though I am sure they sound great. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back