Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Aug 29, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #856 of 3,608
Best review I have ever Read by far, You really should be writing for a magazine. You'd get a chance to review some good equipment and we'd get a well written review.

Good Luck to you. looking forward to read more of your reviews in the future.

Wish my Uni Projects were so well put together. some have it and some don't I guess.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #857 of 3,608
  I received my X7 today and got it setup. I'm still not sure how I can get two sources outputting to the speakers and optical out to my AVR with the software. Maybe I'm missing something. Also, I've seen earlier in the thread discussion of the sub out, but mine isn't outputting any audio for me, even though the test tone is going through to it (3.5mm > RCA > Sub in). How do I enable the sub? It's checked on the settings.

Set one app to output to X7 Speakers device and the other to X7 S/PDIF Out device. As for the sub, check if You have 5.1 sound enabled in Windows Audio Configuration Panel, then enable Sub from the Speakers Menu of the Creative Control Panel.

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #859 of 3,608
It is not normal, I heard the X7 has this specially with the left channel.

If you could change your cans and confirm the issue is not your cans and not may be the source by changing the source as-well you could return the X7 :)

good luck

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #861 of 3,608
  Try playing .wav files in Direct Mode and see if the problem persists

Yes the problem persists in direct mode.. It's the same problem that the other poster I quoted mentioned about windows sound events, but it happens to anything that uses wav files.
This definitely seems like a pure driver problem because if I play a mp3 on winamp and then pause the mp3, all wav files play perfectly without issues, I can repeatedly start and keep playing wav files properly no matter how fast I keep hitting play, just like on all of the other sound cards.  Everything is fine until I close winamp OR if the mp3 reaches the end and then stops playing.  As long as the mp3 is paused, everything is fine.

As I said it happens on both my laptop and desktop.
Firmware and drivers are fully up to date.

Internet Chess Club's blitzin 3.1 makes HEAVY use of wav files for all sound events so this is a very serious issue.  I guess most current stuff doesn't use wav files anymore.  I know there's absolutely _ZERO_ problems in the league of legends client, for instance.  And Unreal Tournament 2004 with Alchemy installed actually sounds a bit better than it does on my X-fi.   But the wav file issue (with no other sound events active) is a show stopper for me.

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #862 of 3,608
Confused!! Is this good enough to drive my HD800? I listened to my MA900 and didnt sound anything to amaming!
frown.gif
I remember my astro mixamp sounding much better!

What settings did You use?

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #863 of 3,608
This X7 windows 10 update is terrible. Constant issues with the Mic monitoring turning on by itself, changing left and right settings in the mixer by itself, now today the thing randomly was at max volume and I randomly almost blew my ears and my brand new headphones up at the same time. I had little to no issues with the prior update sans the mic input volume and clarity being absolutely horrible and unacceptable. My onboard mic input sounds clear, is louder without mic boost and it doesn't break up and crack like the mic does in random peoples ears.

I am 5 minutes from getting rid of this unit creative. I know you have representatives in this thread, I refuse to deal with your tech support via email as if you saw the last conversation I had with them you would pull your hair out. They took near 6 emails of me asking the same question to finally answer it (unacceptable).

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #864 of 3,608
I'm scared now, especially with things transitioning to Windows 10. As it stands, my personal PC is the only one in the house still on Windows 8.1. The others are at Windows 10, and I'm already having to deal with issues with it, like blurry webpages (I'm not stupid, I at least know how to scale, etc, yet no mixture of settings displays my webpgaes sharply like previous windows offerings did), etc. I'm afraid to update my PC at least until a service pack is out, and the masses gets acquainted with Windows 10. I'm not even going to blame Creative for the Windows 10 woes. As nice as it is, it has a ways to go.

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #865 of 3,608
I'm scared now, especially with things transitioning to Windows 10. As it stands, my personal PC is the only one in the house still on Windows 8.1. The others are at Windows 10, and I'm already having to deal with issues with it, like blurry webpages (I'm not stupid, I at least know how to scale, etc, yet no mixture of settings displays my webpgaes sharply like previous windows offerings did), etc. I'm afraid to update my PC at least until a service pack is out, and the masses gets acquainted with Windows 10. I'm not even going to blame Creative for the Windows 10 woes. As nice as it is, it has a ways to go.

I haven't been following general windows 10 issues with the masses but fwiw, I have been running it for several weeks with a 280x and 3 monitors. I have had no blurry web pages.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #866 of 3,608
  Best review I have ever Read by far, You really should be writing for a magazine. You'd get a chance to review some good equipment and we'd get a well written review.

Good Luck to you. looking forward to read more of your reviews in the future.

Wish my Uni Projects were so well put together. some have it and some don't I guess.
rolleyes.gif

Thank you! 
smile.gif

Is it normal to have a constant noise!! When headphones are plugged in with nothing playing? Like a loud humming noise constantly!!!!!

Please help!!!!

Not normal. Probably ground loop issue. Try to disconnect other devices, especially usb devices, connect only the X7, and observe again.

Confused!! Is this good enough to drive my HD800? I listened to my MA900 and didnt sound anything to amaming!
frown.gif
I remember my astro mixamp sounding much better!

IMHO, not the best DAC+Amp for HD800. SB X7 has slightly analytical signature, not a good match for analytical headphones like HD800. I prefer something warmer for HD800.

This X7 windows 10 update is terrible. Constant issues with the Mic monitoring turning on by itself, changing left and right settings in the mixer by itself, now today the thing randomly was at max volume and I randomly almost blew my ears and my brand new headphones up at the same time. I had little to no issues with the prior update sans the mic input volume and clarity being absolutely horrible and unacceptable. My onboard mic input sounds clear, is louder without mic boost and it doesn't break up and crack like the mic does in random peoples ears.

I am 5 minutes from getting rid of this unit creative. I know you have representatives in this thread, I refuse to deal with your tech support via email as if you saw the last conversation I had with them you would pull your hair out. They took near 6 emails of me asking the same question to finally answer it (unacceptable).

Oh dear... that sounds crazy 
confused_face_2.gif
 But I do agree, Creative need to improve both the build-in microphone quality and the quality of microphone input.
I don't have experience with Windows 10, so far I still stick with Windows 7 
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #867 of 3,608
Every time I want to buy the X7 I read about some heavy problems I can't accept for 400$.
frown.gif

But I'm not sure about if the problems are standard/normal or not. Does all/most X7 have problems with .wave files like the Windows sounds? Does all/most X7 have a static noise, on Amazon a lot of people have been writing about it? Are there other problems I should now about before buying?

Btw I have to agree, nice review!

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #868 of 3,608
  Every time I want to buy the X7 I read about some heavy problems I can't accept for 400$.
frown.gif

But I'm not sure about if the problems are standard/normal or not. Does all/most X7 have problems with .wave files like the Windows sounds? Does all/most X7 have a static noise, on Amazon a lot of people have been writing about it? Are there other problems I should now about before buying?

I bought my X7 half a year ago and I had 0 problems with .wav files ever since.

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #869 of 3,608
Every time I want to buy the X7 I read about some heavy problems I can't accept for 400$. :frowning2:

Thanks!

I use X7 almost daily since last year, as it is connected to XM7 speakers and they are basically the main computer (Win 7) speakers. 0 problem so far. Connected to my laptops and windows tablet, also no problem so far.

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #870 of 3,608
A bit over a month with mine and zero issues

First using Windows 8.1, now Windows 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back