Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jul 12, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #646 of 3,608
Just wanna note that that X7 exhibits more bass presence through USB compared to the SPDIF in. Tested on my PC, quick switching both devices with a few mouse clicks. So if you feel bass is lacking without EQ, don't bother with SPDIF if USB is an option. Mids are more present on spdif, so that's a benefit.

Interesting discovery! Thanks!

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #647 of 3,608

Thanks for the info!  Wow that's cheap! :D
Looks smaller than the one use by Creative, hopefully no over heating.
FYI, you don't have to switch the impedance to 4 ohms. I use the 144 W power supply with 8 ohms setting, because I like the sound better on the 8 ohms setting. So you can switch to 4 or 8 ohms, find which one sounds better on your speaker.

No problems with heating when i have checked, runs cooler than the adapter for my iphone.

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #648 of 3,608
  No problems with heating when i have checked, runs cooler than the adapter for my iphone.

Nice! 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 14, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #651 of 3,608
Click on the start menu on your task bar. Right on the search bar, tour command prompt. It should show up. Paste the X7 firmware update file directly into the command prompt window you just opened, then hit enter.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #652 of 3,608
Hi Guys,

Just went trough the review and thread posts, but i still can't figure out what the SPDIF OUT can be used for?

Is it possible for example to let the X7 process dolby 5.1 into virtual headphone surround than pass that further digitally trough SPDIF OUT to a DAC + AMP of my choice to drive a picky pair of headphones such as the HD800?

Also, does using a microphone on the PS4 work with the X7?

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #653 of 3,608
Hi Guys,

Just went trough the review and thread posts, but i still can't figure out what the SPDIF OUT can be used for?

Is it possible for example to let the X7 process dolby 5.1 into virtual headphone surround than pass that further digitally trough SPDIF OUT to a DAC + AMP of my choice to drive a picky pair of headphones such as the HD800?

Also, does using a microphone on the PS4 work with the X7?

We would love that and have been asking for that, but no go.

Spdif out is just to use it with another device with it's own dac. Again, headphone modes do not work from the X7 to spdif out.

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #654 of 3,608
I decided to bite the bullet (and 45 euro) and ordered the Creative BT-w2 transmitter. I will report back as soon as it arrives.

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #658 of 3,608
Thought I had deleted this:

- Connect X7 to PC & power up, make sure X7 is detected by PC
- Open a "Command Prompt" in windows
- Drag-and-drop the firmware exe file from the download location to the command prompt window
- Append a "/f" parameter (without quotes) to the end of the command line, remember to leave a space in between the command line and parameter
- Proceed with firmware upgrade by clicking "Upgrade" button
- Follow on-screen instruction (if needed) to complete firmware upgrade

This is a Maintenance upgrade will perform a "force" upgrade of all firmware components regardless of firmware version.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #659 of 3,608
Just wanna note that that X7 exhibits more bass presence through USB compared to the SPDIF in. Tested on my PC, quick switching both devices with a few mouse clicks. So if you feel bass is lacking without EQ, don't bother with SPDIF if USB is an option. Mids are more present on spdif, so that's a benefit.

Yes you are correct, it always sound better via USB than Spdif.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back