Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jul 6, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #631 of 3,608
A very detailed review...the kind that Ars Technica used to produce. 

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #633 of 3,608
  Ok I hope so cause im gonna pick up the X7 tomorrow.

You won't be disappointed. Keep in mind though that it does require installing Creative's horrible app to setup (can be operated without PC once all settings are good), and that console chat is tricky

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #634 of 3,608
Total forgot to update this but i ended up buying a power supply here

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-AC-110-240V-to-DC-24V-6A-power-Adapter-Converter-with-power-cable-PA/32219461012.html

only $26!!

Just make sure you tell them in the comment when ordering to change the DC from 5.5*2.5mm to 5.5*2.1mm

It works perfectly for me.

I do have one question though and I swear it has been answer but I am unable to find where I read it.

to use the increased power supply I have to change the Ohm switch to 4, but in your test you said you used 8ohm, how?
Did you just change it to 4ohm, turn on the increased power in setting then switch the Ohm switch back to 8? i did this but don't hear a difference.

and it runs my SP-FS52 Speakers perfectly, bloated bass but that's the speakers rather then the X7.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #635 of 3,608

I've been wondering about alternatives for the power supply since the official one is so expensive - I'm curious about the cons of using something so cheap, however. Would a sub-par power supply affect audio quality? Would a sub-par power supply affect the life span of headphones/speakers plugged into the x7?

On a slightly different note, I have the standard edition x7. I'm currently looking at two different sets of bookshelf speakers to be used with my PC. Would the standard edition power supply be able to adequately power either of these?

AV123 ELT525M
Polk Rti A3

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #636 of 3,608
just bought the E-MU XM7 to go with the X7. Went for the brown cabinet option. They'll arrive later this month (such a long wait!). I received a coupon code for 70 bucks off so it was too good to pass up. I'll have saved 170 bucks on my x7 and speaker combo when all is said an done. I"ll have to test it out with and without a sub to hear a comparison.

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #637 of 3,608
  Total forgot to update this but i ended up buying a power supply here

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-AC-110-240V-to-DC-24V-6A-power-Adapter-Converter-with-power-cable-PA/32219461012.html

only $26!!

Just make sure you tell them in the comment when ordering to change the DC from 5.5*2.5mm to 5.5*2.1mm

It works perfectly for me.

I do have one question though and I swear it has been answer but I am unable to find where I read it.

to use the increased power supply I have to change the Ohm switch to 4, but in your test you said you used 8ohm, how?
Did you just change it to 4ohm, turn on the increased power in setting then switch the Ohm switch back to 8? i did this but don't hear a difference.

and it runs my SP-FS52 Speakers perfectly, bloated bass but that's the speakers rather then the X7.

Thanks for the info!  Wow that's cheap! :D
Looks smaller than the one use by Creative, hopefully no over heating.
FYI, you don't have to switch the impedance to 4 ohms. I use the 144 W power supply with 8 ohms setting, because I like the sound better on the 8 ohms setting. So you can switch to 4 or 8 ohms, find which one sounds better on your speaker.

just bought the E-MU XM7 to go with the X7. Went for the brown cabinet option. They'll arrive later this month (such a long wait!). I received a coupon code for 70 bucks off so it was too good to pass up. I'll have saved 170 bucks on my x7 and speaker combo when all is said an done. I"ll have to test it out with and without a sub to hear a comparison.

Cool!

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #638 of 3,608
Thanks for the info!  Wow that's cheap! :D
Looks smaller than the one use by Creative, hopefully no over heating.
FYI, you don't have to switch the impedance to 4 ohms. I use the 144 W power supply with 8 ohms setting, because I like the sound better on the 8 ohms setting. So you can switch to 4 or 8 ohms, find which one sounds better on your speaker.

Cool!

So are the 4 and 8ohm for speakers only? Or will it work for headphone?

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #640 of 3,608
I'm asking again if anyone else is having the issues as I'm still getting the problem of a hiss in the left channel in both Speakers &/or headphones & the crystal clear mic settings being ON even though the software is grayed out ? Wondering if its worth sending it back to Creative it see if its faulty !

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #641 of 3,608
I'm asking again if anyone else is having the issues as I'm still getting the problem of a hiss in the left channel in both Speakers &/or headphones & the crystal clear mic settings being ON even though the software is grayed out ? Wondering if its worth sending it back to Creative it see if its faulty !

Hve You tried resinstaling the latest version of Firmware/driver/control app ?

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #643 of 3,608
Open a Command Prompt and copy/paste the update installation file into it. That should let you bypass the message saying you don't have to update.

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #644 of 3,608
Sound Blaster X7 has a way of implementing chat audio painlessly. I've attached a link to my post over at Mad's guide explaining how.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-5-31-2015-beyer-cop-and-shure-1540-added/31380#post_11756076

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #645 of 3,608
Just wanna note that that X7 exhibits more bass presence through USB compared to the SPDIF in. Tested on my PC, quick switching both devices with a few mouse clicks. So if you feel bass is lacking without EQ, don't bother with SPDIF if USB is an option. Mids are more present on spdif, so that's a benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back