Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jun 18, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #616 of 3,608
Yes! You're right!

Thanks!
But to clarify myself, in light of the above speaker convo, I just want to say I'm specifically talking about the high-low gain modes for the headphone amp, not the impedance selector for headphones XD

Hey earfonia,
Any idea if connecting a DAC to the line-in and then outputting through the speaker taps is pointless? I ask because the volume is digitally controlled while connected to PC, and the speaker amp is a Class-D amp... Thanks! I hope I'm wrong this time!

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #617 of 3,608
Hey earfonia,
Any idea if connecting a DAC to the line-in and then outputting through the speaker taps is pointless? I ask because the volume is digitally controlled while connected to PC, and the speaker amp is a Class-D amp... Thanks! I hope I'm wrong this time!

Well, for practical purpose it's doable. As long as we aware that the signal will go through another AD-DA conversion, thus reduce the fidelity. 
If the DAC has SPDIF optical output, IMO is a better option. DAC SPDIF out >> X7 SPDIF input. This to avoid the AD-DA conversion.
But as long as the sound quality is acceptable, both ways are practically doable :wink:

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #618 of 3,608
Do you use sbx when running a console through optical on the x7? I see the Dolby light turn on but am not sure whether or not to also enable sbx or not. First time I'm. Really giving this x7 a go on consoles instead of PC.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #619 of 3,608
Do you use sbx when running a console through optical on the x7? I see the Dolby light turn on but am not sure whether or not to also enable sbx or not. First time I'm. Really giving this x7 a go on consoles instead of PC.

It's up to you. SBX is purely sound enhancement / effects. If you don't need it, you can turn it off.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #620 of 3,608
It's up to you. SBX is purely sound enhancement / effects. If you don't need it, you can turn it off.

Yep. It kinda makes it a processed stereo. Okay-ish sound cues. But for now it is not real headphone 5.1 surround.
Hopefully creative will implement it.

I now know that Turtle Beach will not in their TAC unit. :mad:

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #621 of 3,608
There is a Control Panel Update available to download from Creative page.

EDIT: Installer crashed on me. Creative never ceases to amaze me with schittyness of their software.

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #624 of 3,608

You mean, ps4 optical to X7, Dolby light is on? Then yes, I use SBX all the time, though I customized settings to my taste. SBX is what will convert Dolby 5.1 (or 7.1) into headphone surround. Turn SBX on, and from the smartphone app tell the X7 to turn off all effects except for the Surround slider in SBX. Then, play with the slider to find how you like it... I suggest starting gameplay with surround at 100%, then after a few minutes turn it down to 50% to hear the difference, then play with the slider to suit your preferences. After you get used to that, you can optionally turn on other effects, though personally I never got along well with Crystalizer.

Yep. It kinda makes it a processed stereo. Okay-ish sound cues. But for now it is not real headphone 5.1 surround.
Hopefully creative will implement it.

I now know that Turtle Beach will not in their TAC unit. :mad:

You mean digital output FROM THE PS4... Inseconds99 meant PS4->X7->Headphones, not PS4->X7->some other external optical DAC->separate amp->headphones.

The X7's optical or line-outs only output speaker-virtual surround (which I haven't tested much with speakers), which is what you described, but the X7's headphone out jacks will do "real" headphone surround processing from the Dolby home theater mix.

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #626 of 3,608
  Whats the chances that we will get a timely released driver for windows 10 support because my PC will be updated to windows 10 the day it comes out and I am concerned that i'll be without my X7 for a while.

Currently running Windows 10 Pro x64 build 10162 and everything is working fine with the latest Windows 8 drivers.

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #627 of 3,608
You mean, ps4 optical to X7, Dolby light is on? Then yes, I use SBX all the time, though I customized settings to my taste. SBX is what will convert Dolby 5.1 (or 7.1) into headphone surround. Turn SBX on, and from the smartphone app tell the X7 to turn off all effects except for the Surround slider in SBX. Then, play with the slider to find how you like it... I suggest starting gameplay with surround at 100%, then after a few minutes turn it down to 50% to hear the difference, then play with the slider to suit your preferences. After you get used to that, you can optionally turn on other effects, though personally I never got along well with Crystalizer.
You mean digital output FROM THE PS4... Inseconds99 meant PS4->X7->Headphones, not PS4->X7->some other external optical DAC->separate amp->headphones.

The X7's optical or line-outs only output speaker-virtual surround (which I haven't tested much with speakers), which is what you described, but the X7's headphone out jacks will do "real" headphone surround processing from the Dolby home theater mix.

Can the X7 decode Dolby Digital Live or just Dolby Digital? Because in the Control Panel, it only says "Dolby Digital", and not "Dolby Digital Live", I just want to make sure before I go out and put down $400 for it.

Jul 6, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #628 of 3,608

Can the X7 decode Dolby Digital Live or just Dolby Digital? Because in the Control Panel, it only says "Dolby Digital", and not "Dolby Digital Live", I just want to make sure before I go out and put down $400 for it.

Well, it says so on the official site.

Jul 6, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #630 of 3,608
  I only see it says " Dolby Digital", not "Dolby Digital Live".

Fair point. Still, it does support Dolby Digital Live signal and does work with consoles 9as far as audio goes, chat is another story)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back