Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Mar 1, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #2,327 of 2,345
Hi,

i like to share my "Version" of the E5. This is a complete moddet Version.

The stock unit had some good components. the TI6120A2 is a really good amp, but creative ruined it. basicaly the shematic is very near on the ti reference shematic, but to safe some power they added some cheap fets to the power rails of the amp to switch it off via Software. These fets have a dramaticaly high ri, so the current was very limited. after modding the amp with new fets and some nichicon Gold muse audio caps the amp is capable to power also a hifiman he-6! The Amp is capable to bring out at max 700mA at +-10 Volt in this Setup, more then enough for most full sized cans out there.

After i moddet the power amp i developed a shematic for a mini Nutube pre-amp-buffer which i wanted to add into the unit. Space was very limited, so this was a hard journey. the nutube act only as buffer with a gain of 1.

At least there was a Little space to add an µC for a small oled Display. on this i can Display the waveform in realtime, a vu meter and so on...

The Battery was completly removed from inside of the device. also the microphones. the battery is now on the underside of it in a printed case which is screwed to the main case. the top is now covered with a Gorilla glas to see the beautifull nutube in Action.

thx for Looking, markus

Attachments

• _MG_9668.JPG
    _MG_9668.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 0
  • _MG_9670.JPG
    _MG_9670.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 0
  • _MG_9671.JPG
    _MG_9671.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 0
  • _MG_9672.JPG
    _MG_9672.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 0
  • _MG_9674.JPG
    _MG_9674.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #2,330 of 2,345
There is a youtube video of a guy doing a play by play so to speak go over of the Topping NX3 amp design. It uses similar Ti amp chip. And he was saying that the TI6120A2 was designed to use positive and negative power rails. And Topping did try to implement that pretty close. It looked like from the internal images of E5, Creative did not use the split power rail and thereby was forced to use a capacitor at the output as mentioned by the guy in the video. Just a guess though.

Creative_E5Top.jpg
Creative_E5bottom.jpg
Creative_E5Angle.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #2,331 of 2,345
I believe there was a do it yourself amp kit that used a split rail power supply and it used one chip to achieve that with a virtual ground. Anyway, maybe the battery power limitation forced the design to not use the aforementioned split rail power technique. The DIY amp used a 12 volt rechargeable battery, and I think the E5 uses a lower voltage.

By the way, where do you get extra optical cables for the E5/G5? Original one is thinner than the ones on ebay.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,332 of 2,345
Hi,

creative uses a split power rail with +12 Volt, Ground, and -12 Volt. There is NO Output capacity. direct Output from the chip thrugh a safety resistor, thats all.

the dual power rail is realized with a tps65131:

tps65131

a very potent little boost converter for postive AND negative supply. both rails are generated from the single Lion cell. you can see the both Coils (white sticker on it) on the lower Right side. to the left of the 6120. creative made everything right, except of the power switching fets for the both power rails from the 65131 to the 6120. they are garbage in original configuration.

i don´t Need optical cables for it. i use it only as usb dac or Bluetooth Receiver.

Mar 18, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #2,336 of 2,345
I downloaded the pdf files on that chip, and it is pretty amazing what they can do these days.
I am inspire to do something, but my skill and budget are holding me back. I know if everything lined up perfectly
the stars, the moon, and the solar system I could prolly fix a broken one and do the upgrade mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back