Soundblaster E5 Nutube mod
Mar 3, 2020 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mashm

New Head-Fier
Hi,

i like to share my "Version" of the E5. This is a complete moddet Version.

The stock unit had some good components. the TI6120A2 is a really good amp, but creative ruined it. basicaly the shematic is very near on the ti reference shematic, but to safe some power they added some cheap fets to the power rails of the amp to switch it off via Software. These fets have a dramaticaly high ri, so the current was very limited. after modding the amp with new fets and some nichicon Gold muse audio caps the amp is capable to power also a hifiman he-6! The Amp is capable to bring out at max 700mA at +-10 Volt in this Setup, more then enough for most full sized cans out there.

After i moddet the power amp i developed a shematic for a mini Nutube pre-amp-buffer which i wanted to add into the unit. Space was very limited, so this was a hard journey.

At least there was a Little space to add an µC for a small oled Display. on this i can Display the waveform in realtime, a vu meter and so on...

The Battery was completly removed from inside of the device. also the microphones. the battery is now on the underside of it in a printed case which is screwed to the main case. the top is now covered with a Gorilla glas to see the beautifull nutube in Action.

thx for Looking, markus

Attachments

• 11194361.jpg
    11194361.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 11194362.jpg
    11194362.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 11194363.jpg
    11194363.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi,

i like to share my "Version" of the E5. This is a complete moddet Version.

The stock unit had some good components. the TI6120A2 is a really good amp, but creative ruined it. basicaly the shematic is very near on the ti reference shematic, but to safe some power they added some cheap fets to the power rails of the amp to switch it off via Software. These fets have a dramaticaly high ri, so the current was very limited. after modding the amp with new fets and some nichicon Gold muse audio caps the amp is capable to power also a hifiman he-6! The Amp is capable to bring out at max 700mA at +-10 Volt in this Setup, more then enough for most full sized cans out there.

After i moddet the power amp i developed a shematic for a mini Nutube pre-amp-buffer which i wanted to add into the unit. Space was very limited, so this was a hard journey.

At least there was a Little space to add an µC for a small oled Display. on this i can Display the waveform in realtime, a vu meter and so on...

The Battery was completly removed from inside of the device. also the microphones. the battery is now on the underside of it in a printed case which is screwed to the main case. the top is now covered with a Gorilla glas to see the beautifull nutube in Action.

thx for Looking, markus

This is awesome work @Mashm love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back