Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Dec 19, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #2,131 of 2,345
I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus on the latest update with one of these E5 things via USB and it bloody cuts out about every ten minutes. Have to turn the E5 off/on to get it working again. Anyone else getting this?

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #2,132 of 2,345
I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus on the latest update with one of these E5 things via USB and it bloody cuts out about every ten minutes. Have to turn the E5 off/on to get it working again. Anyone else getting this?

I'm using iphone 5s with latest update, using foobar2000 mobile and no problems so far (most file are flac 16 bit 44.1khz)

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #2,133 of 2,345
I'm using iphone 5s with latest update, using foobar2000 mobile and no problems so far (most file are flac 16 bit 44.1khz)
Thanks, off I go to try foobar2000. I think most of my files will end up being flac 16/44.1 as well, at least these 256GB phones these days have the room to put together a decent collection of albums.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #2,134 of 2,345
Thanks, off I go to try foobar2000. I think most of my files will end up being flac 16/44.1 as well, at least these 256GB phones these days have the room to put together a decent collection of albums.

if the problem persist, try putting e5 to recovery mode and leave it charge for 30 mins. please note that foobar downsample everything to 16 bit 44.1. The option to transfer file to the e5 at the original sample rate is available on app like onkyo hf, Korg iAudiogate

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #2,136 of 2,345
if the problem persist, try putting e5 to recovery mode and leave it charge for 30 mins. please note that foobar downsample everything to 16 bit 44.1. The option to transfer file to the e5 at the original sample rate is available on app like onkyo hf, [COLOR=1D2129]Korg iAudiogate[/COLOR]
I reckon I'll end up just using Foobar, even though files only come out at 16/44 I would be pretty happy with that. In my ears it's only when files go down to MP3 that you can hear the cymbals and other high frequencies go a bit weird and wobbly, I've always thought CD quality is just fine with decent headphones. I probably shouldn't talk too much about bits and kHz in this thread though.
I'm going to totally delete my iTunes library and just put one FLAC album on there and see how it goes. Like you suggested I should try the Onkyo one as well.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #2,139 of 2,345
I reckon I'll end up just using Foobar, even though files only come out at 16/44 I would be pretty happy with that. In my ears it's only when files go down to MP3 that you can hear the cymbals and other high frequencies go a bit weird and wobbly, I've always thought CD quality is just fine with decent headphones. I probably shouldn't talk too much about bits and kHz in this thread though.
I'm going to totally delete my iTunes library and just put one FLAC album on there and see how it goes. Like you suggested I should try the Onkyo one as well.

If you don't change the music library frequently, you can convert them to ALAC and play them in native music player. It can transfer best quality alac file to external dac.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #2,141 of 2,345

Take a look at Neutron Player. I know its a pay app but its amazingly feature packed. http://neutronmp.com/

Hi, do you have anything that can just transfer the untouched file to the e5?

Unless I'm mistaken, any player software will have to decode the file, regardless of format, to play the file. You can turn off the EQ and any audio effects to get the closest to an untouched sound.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #2,142 of 2,345
Listening spotify premium/tidal hifi on my smartphone is draining the battery..
So I went to a local audioshop and tried onkyo DP-X1

Paired the onkyo and the smartphone to E5 via bluetooth, the smartphone acted as a hotspot for onkyo to connect

Then listen to lossless songs (tidal hifi) from sennheiser captune...

I can rest in peace now :wink:

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #2,143 of 2,345
As some of you know, I have been a big fan of the E5 for a long time.  And I believe the E5 and ASG 2.5 is an amazing combination; although my custom UE 11 pro IEM's do sound a little better.  I love it even more now that I am using it hooked up to my car stereo.  I have tried cd's, and every other player, phone, and amp that I own; and the E5 sounds better than all of them hands down in my truck.  It has the same huge tight bass, and all the great soundstage.  I run the onkyo X1 with 1 200GB card for Spotify, and 1 200 GB card with my CD collection, to the E5 and then to the car amps.  And I control the E5's EQ through the X1 since it has the Bluetooth option, or I can control it from my phone via Bluetooth.  I found the sound is better by connecting everything with IC cables than using Bluetooth so far.  There is absolutely no need to spend thousands of dollars on a car stereo deck when you can use a phone or player and an E5.

And again I am still blown away by the E5 and ASG 2.5 combo.  I was listening to some older music the other day and I heard some things I never heard in that music before.  And the bass is just huge, clean, and tight. 

So the E5 is the best personal amp for IEM's of the dozen or so I tried; and it is amazing playing videos, movies, gaming, and now great in your car. I am buying another one soon.   

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #2,144 of 2,345
  I tried that, and it didn't work. For whatever reason, the TOSLink connection didn't pick up anything while the Micro-USB connection was connected to the PS4. The only way around this was to set the E5 into direct mode. The problem with that is two fold. 1. It disables all audio processing done on the E5 and 2. I cannot change settings on my E5 except for the volume.

What I am hoping is that the USB A to A cable hooked up to the PS4 will allow basically an audio pass-through, while the micro-USB cable will be hooked up to my PC and in control of the unit itself.

Is there something maybe I'm missing here? I wouldn't mind the TOSLink idea, but I cannot get it to work.

​Remember you can always control the E5 from your phone via Bluetooth even if it is not the source of the sound.  The soundblaster control panel can be controlled via Bluetooth independently from the source.  I'm not sure if the PS4 is Bluetooth or not.  I typically connect my player to the E5 with a 1/8th IC cable which bypasses the E5's DAC but you still get the SBX and EQ; headphone out on the source to the line in on the E5.  This way I can charge either the player or the E5 while playing. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #2,145 of 2,345
Top portable entertaining device .build for all occasions all genres , multi-role all weather day / night 24/7 , 365 :D

A heavenly match pairing with my HTC , mojo , ASG 2.5 , G7750 . Meet all my basic needs , daily otg + home desktop use .

golfpro glad and it's good to know that you're able to actually integrate the E5 into your truck audio system !
I'm really glad that I had come to the right thread when I was in search and considering a portable Dac/amp for my OTG needs .

The E5 was my first creative labs products I owned and after experiencing it for many months , it makes me pondering the idea of considering their ZXR sound card as a upgrade to my G7750 sound system .
If not the ZXR , then it would come down with either Velcro it with another E5 , or the G5 whichever most suitable .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back