Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Dec 15, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #2,101 of 2,345
  I've just received an E5 after spotting it on offer so am new to this USB DAC thing. (I've been using a headphone amp for a while now).

I actually have three Android devices I want to use it with, which all sound different using the headphone amp. I was hoping the E5 would mean I could achieve a uniform sound whichever device I used (assuming the settings are the same), as only the E5 is doing the DAC work.

So let's take the Samsung Note 4 (my main device) as the focus. I have installed the Soundblaster services and the Central app, and everything 'works' but while listening it is as if the E5, or Note 4 is changing driver or mode every 10s and the sound stutters very briefly, but then sounds different. I've been playing with settings in Neutron and Poweramp and it happens with both.

The E5 is hooked up to the Note 4 using the Host port on the E5 to the Micro USB port on the Note 4.

It can't be listened to with this constant stuttering and I'd be better off going back to just using my Fiio E12 unless I can sort this out.

Help.

Have you tried to turn off all EQ feature? Tried with different player? or over bluetooth?

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #2,102 of 2,345
The configuration is retained.
There is an SBX button, which I leave off.
But when activated, it definitely does something to the audio.
In my config I get boosted bass for sure, and also some sort of surround which seems to add virtual surround.
I prefer plain audio, and I leave it off, but I can see people liking it.

Thanks HotIce, thanks CZEddie. Used a Vista machine to try out SBX.

SBX is like the Poweramp app on my Android tablet, whereas the Poweramp is limited to 128 gig onboard library. The SBX allows anything usb access to EQ and soundstage manipulation. I could use that on a lot of listening here which is streamed via web, low as 128kb rates. A lot of my new music was discovered as a 128kb stream over night listening on a pair of Aurvana IE3.

I use that app to goose the best out of various IEM's. The multi-eq curve saves allow me to taylor IEM's and lowbitrate material. So SBX on Vista let me see I want this app on my portable and other sources I use.

The Sony orphaned Tablet S limits to ICS 4 [kind of the XP of Android] I think I need 4.2 or later to use SBX and usb audio out protocol. Pretty sure my bluetooth is non aptX.
For those with a new system this E5 throws a lot at portable power and user adjustable sonics to get more out of a stable of headphones and IEM's.

On plain straight through audio. This still new E5/HD 650 combos ability to deliver volume and information stuns me. Sonically the 650's just bloom and bloom more, I reach my limit before they or the volume control does minus any EQ-ing.

The E5 has improved convenience and sonics in my music discovery journey.
The across the board performance of Aurvana IE3, Sony MD 7550 or UE 500 IEM's all improved through E5 [ low imp]
Ability to get a more defined bass boost vs just more bounce.
I'd written off bluetooth but the convenience of cable free tablet w/bluetooth vs sonics of web music has me exited about new aptX stuff.

A couple hundy delivering exitment rediscovering your audio is still a good thing.

Volume control (up / down) and SBX button double as call button during incoming call.

Hi guys

Could you please give me some info
I wanted to purchase this device but i'm not sure if it drives DT1770(250ohm) properly and with a good sound quality or not??

And what if i add a fiio e12a to this cofiguration?is it possible?

Thanks in advance!!

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #2,108 of 2,345
How about if you just TRY to search for it in this thread? It is in here, I am sure. How hard can it be?

Cheers

I have read all the thread but nothing related to my auestion
I tried to read user reveiews on amazon and many were complaining about device failture in different ways for instance it doesn't charge anymore or it mutes the sound for 1 second during a track and honestly i'm a bit confused from all these opinions
I really don't have access to test the device and here where i live there is no garranty for the device also no turning back policies
So i was actually looking for a kind person who has the time to help me out

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #2,109 of 2,345
I just searched "250" and got two pages of results. Plenty of answers with "drives my DT880 and DT1770 250 ohm really good". I also searched for "300". And sure enough some Sennheiser users don't have an issue with that either.

So there you go....

Cheers.

Dec 16, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #2,110 of 2,345
A good way to enjoy YouTube music video on a desktop with the Sound blaster E5 .
Been using the E5 purely as a OTG with my mobile since I first bought in July together with all those Aurisonics ASG 2.5 which I had owned 3 pairs in polished chrome , acrylic black , Brushed nickel , the latter nickel are my most heavily used , daily .

Lately I been enjoying audio , videos , YouTube channel on my 6 year old Rig with my E5 + ASG 2.5 , and the experience I having with it is more than satisfaction . More than what the pairing of potable mobile could satisfy my desire . It's hell outta visual + audio exhilarating experience .

No doubt the E5 has proof to me that it's not just a perfect daily OTG companion for me but also as a workhorse for home use desktop application .
This makes me considering to upgrade the 6 year old Rig with the creative sound blaster sound card like the ZXR , but I'm happy pairing the E5 with the rig for now , until the upcoming extensive upgrades for the rig starts next February .

Now , Sharing my settings on the Sound blaster E-series control panel , together with The ARCH ENEMY - War eternal : Tour Tokyo sacrifice live concert 2015 in Full HD 1080p .
The recording quality of this video is top notch excellent with regards to audio and visual .

All tracks on the video are favorite . But there's always exceptional ones , Nemesis , you know my name , No God's No master , War eternal , as the page burn blah blah blah all you would get to experience in the video .

I love playing loud , so Minimum volume is 50% , but i couldn't go past 70% .

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/4c_cvIRHVSM[/VIDEO]

Enjoy .

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #2,111 of 2,345
  I've just received an E5 after spotting it on offer so am new to this USB DAC thing. (I've been using a headphone amp for a while now).

I actually have three Android devices I want to use it with, which all sound different using the headphone amp. I was hoping the E5 would mean I could achieve a uniform sound whichever device I used (assuming the settings are the same), as only the E5 is doing the DAC work.

So let's take the Samsung Note 4 (my main device) as the focus. I have installed the Soundblaster services and the Central app, and everything 'works' but while listening it is as if the E5, or Note 4 is changing driver or mode every 10s and the sound stutters very briefly, but then sounds different. I've been playing with settings in Neutron and Poweramp and it happens with both.

The E5 is hooked up to the Note 4 using the Host port on the E5 to the Micro USB port on the Note 4.

It can't be listened to with this constant stuttering and I'd be better off going back to just using my Fiio E12 unless I can sort this out.

Help.

OK, so I'm updating my own question now I've done some more testing and investigations. It seems the issue is with the Samsung Note 4.

As long as I keep the screen on on the Note 4, the E5 works perfectly. As soon as the screen goes off the issues start. No matter what settings or player I use, once the screen is off on the Note 4 every 5s or so it seems like the driver or data path changes and the sound stutters once and then changes slightly (like the EQ going off) then it flips back and so on.

Used with a laptop, it works perfectly, and with an old Nexus 7 tablet using the Host USB port.

I found some other comments in this thread about Samsung devices having issues with the E5 - how annoying.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #2,112 of 2,345
OK, so I'm updating my own question now I've done some more testing and investigations. It seems the issue is with the Samsung Note 4.

As long as I keep the screen on on the Note 4, the E5 works perfectly. As soon as the screen goes off the issues start. No matter what settings or player I use, once the screen is off on the Note 4 every 5s or so it seems like the driver or data path changes and the sound stutters once and then changes slightly (like the EQ going off) then it flips back and so on.

Used with a laptop, it works perfectly, and with an old Nexus 7 tablet using the Host USB port.

I found some other comments in this thread about Samsung devices having issues with the E5 - how annoying.

It's kinda weird to me bro , as of currently I had 3 android 2 HTC one max ( silver ) ( red ) and 1 galaxy note 2 . One of the silver HTC one max is down due to the internal battery failure so I left 2 in action .
So far I had non issues combo the trio with the E5 through Bluetooth aptx with all 3 android , I experienced nothing what you had described with your note 4 .
I can confirm it works completely well with my Samsung galaxy note 2 , there's no major issues using the E5 with Samsung , at least via Bluetooth with my galaxy note 2 .

I just hook the E5 up with the note 2 using the E5 stock red usb . Works perfectly well On and off screen with SBX central EQ on . No issue there . All good .

Streaming off audio @ spotify .

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #2,113 of 2,345
I don't have any Samsung devices on hand to try it with, but I've tried it with mine and my wife's LG G5's, my daughter's LG G4, and my son's Moto Z. No issues similar to yours. Sorry to hear that some Samsung devices and the E5 don't get along. 

On a side note, I love my E5 enough that I would get a different phone if it and my E5 weren't friendly, lol.

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #2,114 of 2,345
It's kinda weird to me bro , as of currently I had 3 android 2 HTC one max ( silver ) ( red ) and 1 galaxy note 2 . One of the silver HTC one max is down due to the internal battery failure so I left 2 in action .
So far I had non issues combo the trio with the E5 through Bluetooth aptx with all 3 android , I experienced nothing what you had described with your note 4 .
I can confirm it works completely well with my Samsung galaxy note 2 , there's no major issues using the E5 with Samsung , at least via Bluetooth with my galaxy note 2 .

I just hook the E5 up with the note 2 using the E5 stock red usb . Works perfectly well On and off screen with SBX central EQ on . No issue there . All good .

Streaming off audio @ spotify .

I don't have any Samsung devices on hand to try it with, but I've tried it with mine and my wife's LG G5's, my daughter's LG G4, and my son's Moto Z. No issues similar to yours. Sorry to hear that some Samsung devices and the E5 don't get along. 

On a side note, I love my E5 enough that I would get a different phone if it and my E5 weren't friendly, lol.

Is the rumers about the e5 going to fail after some usage right?
I really like it's options and versatility but i'm just wondering how it would sound and how much power does the amp section has?
I'm gonna pairing it with a 250ohm full size headphone
Would it go loud enogh?

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #2,115 of 2,345
Is the rumers about the e5 going to fail after some usage right?
I really like it's options and versatility but i'm just wondering how it would sound and how much power does the amp section has?
I'm gonna pairing it with a 250ohm full size headphone
Would it go loud enogh?

Well , I had own it since July , and use it daily since day 1 . It hasn't fail me in anyway , just the battery wouldn't last longer that what was advertised , probably it's due to the Bluetooth connection . I use Bluetooth OTG and play loud , maybe that's the reason why battery drain fast .
I didn't own any 250ohms phones so I could not give you a definite answer . My best iem at hand are only 41ohms .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back