Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Apr 14, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,411 of 2,345
Hi Guys! I have a couple of questions:

- does this work with an ipod classic? if so what will I use? a fiio l3 line out dock or a 30pin lightning cable?
- would this bypass ipod's internal DAC?
- has anyone tested this with 250-600 ohm headphones? how was it?

TIA :)

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #1,412 of 2,345
Hi Guys! I have a couple of questions:

- does this work with an ipod classic? if so what will I use? a fiio l3 line out dock or a 30pin lightning cable?
- would this bypass ipod's internal DAC?
- has anyone tested this with 250-600 ohm headphones? how was it?

TIA :)

Assuming the iPod Classic uses the 30 pin charging cable (iPhone 4 style), that's all you need. I connect my iPad 2 with a 30 pin. My iPhone 6 uses the Lightning cable. Other end into the USB on back of E5.
This bypasses the internal DAC and the E5 takes over.
I have used a DT770 Pro 250 ohm and it sounds legendary. Room to spare, I can only speculate the E5 will drive 600 ohm cans but don't know for sure.
Hope this helps.

Apr 15, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #1,413 of 2,345
Assuming the iPod Classic uses the 30 pin charging cable (iPhone 4 style), that's all you need. I connect my iPad 2 with a 30 pin. My iPhone 6 uses the Lightning cable. Other end into the USB on back of E5.
This bypasses the internal DAC and the E5 takes over.
I have used a DT770 Pro 250 ohm and it sounds legendary. Room to spare, I can only speculate the E5 will drive 600 ohm cans but don't know for sure.
Hope this helps.

Thank you kind sir! you have answered my queries as I am planning to get this :)

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #1,417 of 2,345
  And the difference between G5 and E5 ?

Why G5 have a lower cost ? Only because no battery inside ?
The PCB is the same for both or different elettric components ?

The G5 is positioned more for PC gaming / audio enthusiast, drawing power from USB (no on board battery), while the E5 is position as a portable DAC/AMP which supports devices such as Android and Apple I devices (with on board battery - up to 8 hours). 

For the audio enthusiast who wants to a portable DAC/AMP on the go, E5 is the way to go.

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #1,418 of 2,345
using the e5 for quite some time now, hope sorry for mention it again, still the highs are really bad, and the middle range is not good, and the bass is okey, a bit bloomy

they may fix this, anyone know if someone is willing to mod the drivers/firmware for audio-quality?

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #1,419 of 2,345
  using the e5 for quite some time now, hope sorry for mention it again, still the highs are really bad, and the middle range is not good, and the bass is okey, a bit bloomy

they may fix this, anyone know if someone is willing to mod the drivers/firmware for audio-quality?

Tweak the EQ, I use Viper4Android plus the associated EQ. Makes a huge difference.

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #1,420 of 2,345

Tweak the EQ, I use Viper4Android plus the associated EQ. Makes a huge difference.

and another eq, doesnt give enough for it to be good

would be good if some more people would contact the creative support

and request a better quality for the audio-quality, better optimization of the firmware and drivers + the amplification, cant even drive 50 ohm headphone on this one, without a lot of distortion

how much power does the e5 drive in at max, with the battery and the usbcable connected? 

thanks for the reply

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #1,421 of 2,345

and another eq, doesnt give enough for it to be good

would be good if some more people would contact the creative support

and request a better quality for the audio-quality, better optimization of the firmware and drivers + the amplification, cant even drive 50 ohm headphone on this one, without a lot of distortion

how much power does the e5 drive in at max, with the battery and the usbcable connected? 

thanks for the reply

I,m driving 300 ohm Sennheisers with it, check the settings on the software and from my guess, its rated at 250-300mw@32ohms per channel which is pretty powerful for most cans.

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #1,422 of 2,345

I'm getting quite the opposite experience from you.

Which phones you using with it?
What source are you comparing this with?
What kind of music are you experiencing the sub par quality with?
Have you turned off all inputs not being used (bluetooth, line-in/mic, optical in etc)?
Turned off EQ and other effects?

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #1,423 of 2,345

I'm getting quite the opposite experience from you.

Which phones you using with it?
What source are you comparing this with?
What kind of music are you experiencing the sub par quality with?
Have you turned off all inputs not being used (bluetooth, line-in/mic, optical in etc)?
Turned off EQ and other effects?

hi, moophus

im happy with your recommendation, still have to wait til they update the firmware

i've tried with everything, have used more than 6+ soundcards before, and this is far the worst in terms for music

its good for gaming and the mic is good

tried with the Fostex T50rp mk3 that i asked here before,
and they could'nt drive them properly to the satisfaction i wanted

and the other headphones i have, doesnt sound good either on them

especially when driving them with more sounds than a regular 2 - 4 sounding music track

even the bass get distorted and mostly highs

the frequency-response is not good on the e5, with the latest update, during the december month 2015

does anyone know if they felt the audio, was better for music, before the last firmware update, for windows?

may be that the mac update, could be better perhaps 

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #1,425 of 2,345
is there anyway, a fix/method, to the get it working through usb, with a phone,

if it doesnt work on connect, after the installed applications, on android?
maybe its the phone ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back