Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Jan 11, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #1,306 of 2,345
Sorry to ask an obvious question but are you using the supplied red cable to connect the Soundblaster to your Mac? I will keep trying to help if you do not get a solution.

Yep, using the included red USB cable. Appreciate the help, but ch385 got it!

This was driving me nuts for about a week. I saw you were having the same problem so I made an account. 

Close the sound blaster control panel 

1 Stop all audio playback on the e5 and connect it to the mac via usb
2 cmd + space Audio Midi Setup
3 Select the Sound Blaster e5
4 Change 'Clock source' to 'DSP Clock'
5 Close 
6 Open the soundblaster control panel app, It should be responsive. 

So happy this worked. Like you, I was getting ready to return it and go back to the Fiio E18 due to this! Definitely would not have figured this one out on my own. How did you? Haven't found too many helpful resources online.

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,308 of 2,345

Yep, using the included red USB cable. Appreciate the help, but ch385 got it!

So happy this worked. Like you, I was getting ready to return it and go back to the Fiio E18 due to this! Definitely would not have figured this one out on my own. How did you? Haven't found too many helpful resources online.

I thought this thing was defective until I saw you were having the same issue problem.

As for the how - it was just dumb luck.. I adjusted every audio setting I could find after seeing your post until something made a difference. I bought the e3 which worked out of the box on mac so I really did think the e5 was somehow defective. It would have gone back in the morning if that had not worked - my headphones have a bit too much bass for a lot of music, and I don't like boom2. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #1,309 of 2,345
Finally got myself an OTG micro to micro usb cable, connecting to my Samsung phone. It works great now, without depleting the battery due to charging. (I have a wireless charging pad for that!).

Not sure if it's just in my head, but sound quality appears to be better - richer, more detail. S6 Edge to E5 to ATH-ANC9. I used it directly from a PC before, then had to use bluetooth for a while after our office went to 4g as a temporary solution. The cable is certainly worth it over Bluetooth.

When we get the proper net back I'll try for some A-B comparisons to using it as a PC sound card via USB.

Only hitch: I've had to reboot the Edge to stop the audio from being all warped on initial connection.
EDIT: Oh and it appears I would have to reconnect to Bluetooth to be able to change EQ settings; SB Central doesn't see the device over USB. Whereas on the PC I could change all that in the SB driver / Windows app.

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #1,311 of 2,345
I got my E5 yesterday and did a comparison between Dragonfly 1.2 and SoundBlaster E5 both cost around 150€ and the Dragonly 1.2 sound just minimal better ive tried some flacs with Dynamic Range above 8 and some party sounded minimal better. but the soundblaster is overall better as pc sound card in my opinion bluetooth is really a nice feature too. im really happy with my philips fidelio x2 v-moda boompro and soundblaster e5 setup.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,312 of 2,345

I thought this thing was defective until I saw you were having the same issue problem.

As for the how - it was just dumb luck.. I adjusted every audio setting I could find after seeing your post until something made a difference. I bought the e3 which worked out of the box on mac so I really did think the e5 was somehow defective. It would have gone back in the morning if that had not worked - my headphones have a bit too much bass for a lot of music, and I don't like boom2. 

Maybe you, or anyone else, can help answer:

• Is there a sound quality difference between the e3 and e5?
  • Does the e3 make use of the same (or similar) accompanying software and phone app?
  • Does the e3 support the new firmware and use the no-charge trick by double pressing the power button?
  • Does the e3 work well over micro-to-micro OTG cable (higher quality than bluetooth and without battery drain problems)?

Thanks!

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #1,313 of 2,345

• Does the e3 make use of the same (or similar) accompanying software and phone app?
  • Does the e3 support the new firmware and use the no-charge trick by double pressing the power button?
  • Does the e3 work well over micro-to-micro OTG cable (higher quality than bluetooth and without battery drain problems)?

Thanks!

1. Yes, IMO.
2. Desktop software - Yes. Smartphone app - No.
3. No. E3 does not have any firmware to update, AFAIK.
4. It will work over OTG, but it will use AOA mode and charge your smartphone instead. My advise is keep it to BT, and best if your smartphone supports aptX.

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #1,314 of 2,345

Thanks!

1 Not much different. It stays clearer at louder levels which is nice if you like loud music. 
2 OS X yes, Android I wasn't able to adjust the equalizer or any settings really.
3 no idea but as I say below, turn your cable around
4 Yes it works. If you find your battery is draining you need to turn your usb cable around. That stopped it from charging my phone for me. It also stopped using the phones 12ish step volume when you do this.. easier to find a pleasing listening level 

The main reason I went with the e5, is that the e5 will save the equalizer setting that you create on the computer for use with your phone. The e3 did not offer this. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #1,316 of 2,345
Hello everybody!

I'm looking to buy:

-the dragonfly v1.2

-audioengine D1

-audioengine D3

-creative Soundblaster E5

To listen with my AKG K545 and Shure SE315.

i absolutely hate distortion, and would like something that is very very easy to set up.

Any suggestions in what's best?

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #1,317 of 2,345
  Creative lists that low gain mode is for headphones with an impedance from 32-120 ohm. Can e5 be used with a pair of CIEMs with an impedance of 19 ohm? Is there any drawback? 

Used mine with 18 ohm without issue.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,318 of 2,345
Hello everybody!

I'm looking to buy:

-the dragonfly v1.2

-audioengine D1

-audioengine D3

i absolutely hate distortion, and would like something that is very very easy to set up.

Well, the E5 is the hardest of the bunch to set up since it needs software while others are plug and play.
And what's best... it depends really... what are you looking for? as far as distortion i think most of those are good enough

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,319 of 2,345
Hello everybody!

I'm looking to buy:

-the dragonfly v1.2

-audioengine D1

-audioengine D3

Well, the E5 is the hardest of the bunch to set up since it needs software while others are plug and play.
And what's best... it depends really... what are you looking for? as far as distortion i think most of those are good enough

Thank you, looks like I'll have to remove it from the list :/

By what's best I mean what has the most "compatible sound" with my headphone, the AKG K545, which are known to have accentuated highs. Adding a DAC that also accentuates highs wouldn't be a smart idea, would it?

And then I mean best in this price range: which sounds better (because of DAC chip), and also considering warranty: the dragonfly is 1 year,while audioengine's is 3 years.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #1,320 of 2,345
Thank you, looks like I'll have to remove it from the list :/

By what's best I mean what has the most "compatible sound" with my headphone, the AKG K545, which are known to have accentuated highs. Adding a DAC that also accentuates highs wouldn't be a smart idea, would it?

And then I mean best in this price range: which sounds better (because of DAC chip), and also considering warranty: the dragonfly is 1 year,while audioengine's is 3 years.

Some people actually like accentuated high, as far as i know audioquest dragonfly is one of the best in that price range, audioengine, from some reviews i read, got good score but nothing to write home about.
I suggest you go to the respective threads and ask there, try to read posting guidelines on how to ask for recommendations if you haven't done so

Btw, e5 strength is in its myriad of features that none have around or above its price range, yet. But if you are looking for simple, no hassle, music only dac/amp, you can skip e5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back