Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Jan 4, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #1,276 of 2,345
I would not call the E5 disappointing. It is actually a very good package, but the amp section just does not have enough juice to feed the most power hungry HPs.
It is also less than 1/2 the price of the iDSD Micro.

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #1,277 of 2,345
Hi guys!
At first I have to congratulate Creative for this amaaazing product! I`m enjoying my music everyday in a way never before. Thanks!

Nevertheless, since my iPhone 6 was stolen and getting an iPhone 6s now, I have a big, very annoying problem with my E5. When the E5 is conncted via USB (Host to lightning) there is distortion, like high peaks in the audio. It sounds really like an electronic high pitch or glitch for around 100-200 ms. It happens occasionally everytime I begin to concentrate to the music again. So sometimes during a five minute track six-seven times. Sometimes more often. At first I thought its the app causing the problem. But its the same problem with VOX, TuneShell, Elecom Hi-Res, FLAC Player+ and even the stock Apple Music player (converted with foobar2000 to ALAC). I also disabled and enabled the high-resolution mode in the SoundBlaster Central app without success.

My gear: iPhone 6s @iOS 9.2, Sennheiser HD600, RHA T20i and lossless music (16-24 bit - 44.1-192 kHz).

With the Amazon FireTV box (optical IN) and my laptop (USB) I have no problems at all. Thanks again for the versatility by the way
smily_headphones1.gif

But I cannot enjoy my music on the go anymore. With Bluetooth there is also no problem. The E5 is more than one year old now.
Is there any new firmware update in the pipeline which could solve my problem? Or what else could I do to solve this audio distortion?

Do you think the iPhone is faulty? I use the lightning connection also with an adapter in my car without any problem.

I had the same problem but after testing it for a while I realised it only happens with my iPhone goes into lock mode (black screen). Kept my iPhone to never auto lock... Not the ideal solution for portability but at least the distortion sound didn't happens. Try it to see of it works for you.

I must say E5 is a pretty value for money DAC/AMP. Tested it side by side with Mojo and amazed by the 3x cheaper price tag. Didn't tried driving a power hungry cans though... just my SE846...

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #1,282 of 2,345
hi there i would like to buy the soundblaster e5 as usb soundcard  and use my philips Fidelio x2 but according to this Review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR4Oq3Dw3gY there is really bad noise at the Output when the device is used via usb.

i have already the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB  so i could buy the dragonfly 1.2 instead for Audio out and use the 5.1 Pro USB for mic in .any advise?

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #1,283 of 2,345
  hi there i would like to buy the soundblaster e5 as usb soundcard  and use my philips Fidelio x2 but according to this Review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR4Oq3Dw3gY there is really bad noise at the Output when the device is used via usb.

i have already the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB  so i could buy the dragonfly 1.2 instead for Audio out and use the 5.1 Pro USB for mic in .any advise?

I mainly use the E5 via USB with my laptop, and have no issues. There definitely isn't a "really bad noise" via the USB, maybe the toslink is a little cleaner or maybe it was an issue with his computer or USB port.  I haven't used the toslink in so can't compare, but via USB it sound fine to me.

I wouldn't let that keep me from getting the E5.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #1,284 of 2,345
  I mainly use the E5 via USB with my laptop, and have no issues. There definitely isn't a "really bad noise" via the USB, maybe the toslink is a little cleaner or maybe it was an issue with his computer or USB port.  I haven't used the toslink in so can't compare, but via USB it sound fine to me.

I wouldn't let that keep me from getting the E5.

Agreed. It is most likely a case of 'dirty' USB power on that review.

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #1,285 of 2,345
A reason why people can't her a difference between wired and bluetooth could be that ios supports bluetooth aac, as SB E5 does. 
According to this link (source – pdf), the bitrate is
264,630 kbps  which is good enough to not tell apart from lossless.

So if you'd have your files in AAC 256kbps and using bluetooth with E5, you shouldn't notice any degradation in sound quality.
As I've understand the limitations with bluetooth is the codecs, but as AAC is a good codec, the limitations should be gone?

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,286 of 2,345
The iFi iDSD MIcro has a very good DAC, and _plenty_ of power.

I just got a iDSD Micro in for testing and can confirm that it's very powerful. It's got three gain settings. I've only had to use the middle setting for my HE400. Can't imagine using the highest setting
eek.gif

Looked up the iFi Micro iDSD on Amazon and was a bit turned off by the $628 price tag. But have since seen it's $499 on other sites (shipped) and that's more tempting.

Now contemplating between the iFi Micro iDSD and the cheaper but larger Audio-GD NFB-11 (11.32?) or the Audio-GD NFB-15 (15.32?).

Tomorrow I'll get the HE-500 and see how they do with the E5.

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,287 of 2,345
Hello, i have the iPhone 6plus which has a better internal DAC then the 6. Not sure about the new s models. I have spent hours trying to listen for the difference between direct lightening port connection and via bluetooth to my new Creative Soundblaster E5. Playing lossless tracks from my CD's which I imported into iTunes via ALAC (lossless) and also via Spotify Premium at Extreme quality. The strange result is i slightly prefer the bluetooth output.

Credit to Apple for utilising great bluetooth technology and for Creative for being able to receive it.

With the firmware update on Creative website you have full access to all the Creative Central apo features. I turn SBX off as it might degrade quality but I do tweak the Equalizer to match my headphone signature (ATH M50x). I also tested headphones in a hifi shop it had enough power to drive the (Senn HD700 on high gain setting) and Audeze EL8.

I am waiting for my HE-400i headphones which i will use at home with the E5 and my iPad.

The E5 has allowed me to hear new dimensions in audio fidelity on my iOS products. It has also made me conclude that iTunes newly Mastered for iTunes tracks us the best source audio i have heard. This might be controversal.

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #1,288 of 2,345
Hello, i have the iPhone 6plus which has a better internal DAC then the 6. Not sure about the new s models. I have spent hours trying to listen for the difference between direct lightening port connection and via bluetooth to my new Creative Soundblaster E5. Playing lossless tracks from my CD's which I imported into iTunes via ALAC (lossless) and also via Spotify Premium at Extreme quality. The strange result is i slightly prefer the bluetooth output.

Credit to Apple for utilising great bluetooth technology and for Creative for being able to receive it.

With the firmware update on Creative website you have full access to all the Creative Central apo features. I turn SBX off as it might degrade quality but I do tweak the Equalizer to match my headphone signature (ATH M50x). I also tested headphones in a hifi shop it had enough power to drive the (Senn HD700 on high gain setting) and Audeze EL8.

I am waiting for my HE-400i headphones which i will use at home with the E5 and my iPad.

The E5 has allowed me to hear new dimensions in audio fidelity on my iOS products. It has also made me conclude that iTunes newly Mastered for iTunes tracks us the best source audio i have heard. This might be controversal.

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #1,289 of 2,345
Hi guys!

At first I have to congratulate Creative for this amaaazing product! I`m enjoying my music everyday in a way never before. Thanks!

Nevertheless, since my iPhone 6 was stolen and getting an iPhone 6s now, I have a big, very annoying problem with my E5. When the E5 is conncted via USB (Host to lightning) there is distortion, like high peaks in the audio. It sounds really like an electronic high pitch or glitch for around 100-200 ms. It happens occasionally everytime I begin to concentrate to the music again. So sometimes during a five minute track six-seven times. Sometimes more often. At first I thought its the app causing the problem. But its the same problem with VOX, TuneShell, Elecom Hi-Res, FLAC Player+ and even the stock Apple Music player (converted with foobar2000 to ALAC). I also disabled and enabled the high-resolution mode in the SoundBlaster Central app without success.

My gear: iPhone 6s @iOS 9.2, Sennheiser HD600, RHA T20i and lossless music (16-24 bit - 44.1-192 kHz).

With the Amazon FireTV box (optical IN) and my laptop (USB) I have no problems at all. Thanks again for the versatility by the way :)

But I cannot enjoy my music on the go anymore. With Bluetooth there is also no problem. The E5 is more than one year old now.

Is there any new firmware update in the pipeline which could solve my problem? Or what else could I do to solve this audio distortion?

Do you think the iPhone is faulty? I use the lightning connection also with an adapter in my car without any problem.

I had the same problem but after testing it for a while I realised it only happens with my iPhone goes into lock mode (black screen). Kept my iPhone to never auto lock... Not the ideal solution for portability but at least the distortion sound didn't happens. Try it to see of it works for you.

I must say E5 is a pretty value for money DAC/AMP. Tested it side by side with Mojo and amazed by the 3x cheaper price tag. Didn't tried driving a power hungry cans though... just my SE846...

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #1,290 of 2,345

Thanks leonardchiu, but my problem seems to be disappeared on its own :)
Didnt do anything special. Just resetted the E5 and restarted the iPhone. Hope this is a permanent solution.

The difference of the E5 is more obvious with headphones like the HD 600, probably because of the higher impedance. The difference with the RHA T20i is minimal, compared to the iPhone 6s jack/DAC. Or maybe I am not that audiophile like you guys :wink: I still enjoying the crystal clear sound, especially with the HD 600.

Again, thumbs up for Creative for this awesome product!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back