Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Jan 7, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,291 of 2,345
Just FYI my HE-500 arrived today and I did a quick test before having to head out. Both my E5 and C5D where able to drive the HE-500 louder than I my ears can stand. Still a more powerful AMP may get a little more out of them. I'm still considering getting a DAC/AMPO that can deliver more power for the 500s, but I'm not in as big a hurry as I was.

Initial impression is the HE-500 sounds very clean and a bit bright to me (relatively speaking). Still very happy and that they are usable with my current DAC/AMPs, something I wasn't sure about.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #1,292 of 2,345
Just received my E5, and was impressed for the first hour. However, I can't get the SBX or EQ to work in the SB software on my Mac when it is connected via USB. If it is connected exclusively via bluetooth (or to my android device over bluetooth), it works fine. Anyone have a fix?  Was otherwise impressed driving my EL-8's

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,293 of 2,345
Have you updated the E5 blaster software.

I got my E5 soundblaster firmware.  I got be E5 Sandblaster last week and it had old firmware still on it even though the firmware cam out in November 2015.

Here is a link to it on Creative Support website:

Sound Blaster E5 Firmware Update for Mac                                         

Also, make sure the Sandblaster is not connected to another device via blue tooth when you are trying to use the software on the Mac.

For reference also, I suggest in mixer settings turning off as many volume options as possible which reduces hiss such as Mic's. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #1,294 of 2,345
Yep, latest FW and drivers. Mine also had the older firmware, but its now running the latest. Also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers on the Mac (running OSX el capitan). 

Just tried disconnecting all other bluetooth devices, and still no progress. 

I'm assuming yours works fine (and that SBX is supposed to work over USB)?

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #1,296 of 2,345
Has anyone tried using a Bluetooth device of some sort to control the volume on the E5? I'd love to be able to set my E5 close to my TV and control the volume that way, or use a portable remote of some sort while using the E5 in a bag while on the go. Any ideas, anyone tried anything? 

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #1,297 of 2,345
Yes i have and this is automatic with the paired Bluetooth device, which is another convenient feature i really like.
When bluetooth paired i can control the volume of the Soundblaster E5 va:
1. iPhone 6plus.
2. iPad Air 2.
3. 2 x New Apple TV's.
4. 2012 Apple iMac on Yoesmite.

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,298 of 2,345
Yep, latest FW and drivers. Mine also had the older firmware, but its now running the latest. Also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers on the Mac (running OSX el capitan). 

Just tried disconnecting all other bluetooth devices, and still no progress. 

I'm assuming yours works fine (and that SBX is supposed to work over USB)?

Sorry to ask an obvious question but are you using the supplied red cable to connect the Soundblaster to your Mac? I will keep trying to help if you do not get a solution.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #1,299 of 2,345
I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and am researching portable self-powered AMP+DAC units that, first and foremost, will provide the highest quality wired connection. Form factor and price are my secondary considerations, and lastly the bonus features. As I plan to purchase a Schiit AMP+DAC stack for home use, I just want a small form factor in the $50-$200 range that will deliver at least 24/94 quality. I am not interested in a DAP as I plan to use my Note 4 with a 200GB SanDisk.

I want to fully understand the max quality I can squeeze out of the E3 compared to the other options before I make my purchase, because I don't really understand the quality implications and previous replies have raised my concern about feasibility and usability... For example, Has the trade off in battery drain vs volume, as outlined in the comments of the E3 Review thread, been solved ?

I am referencing this reply (quoted below): http://www.head-fi.org/t/735438/creative-labs-sound-blaster-e3-review#post_11111558

Try reversing the supplied cables direction. It does make a difference which direction they are connected. My Galaxy S5 & Galaxy note 4 would only work properly if the red cable was connected to the source device.

When connected as an USB DAC the E3 will also act as a USB charger to the phone or tablet, this will deplete the E3's battery in short order unless the source device is fully charged. If the cord is plugged in the other direction the E3 will be charged if not already fully charged but will output low volume. It is still acting as an USB DAC but with very limited volume. This connection will deplete the source device battery if the E3 is not fully charged.

My recommendation it to use the Bluetooth option as that does not compromise battery life of either device & if you go into Bluetooth settings for the E3 & turn off phone audio your music will not be interrupted by the phones system notifications however you will not be able to answer the phone through the E3's Bluetooth connection.

Do such battery drain issues exist with ALL of the battery-powered AMP+DAC options that I've been considering?

Such as:

TOPPING NX2 Ultra Slim Portable Audio Amplifier Headphone Earphone Amplifier ($51)
http://amzn.com/B00T5I60QQ

FiiO Q1 ($70)
http://amzn.com/B0157DKAU4

FiiO E18 KUNLUN ($137)
http://amzn.com/B00GCDJBMM

BeyerDynamic A200P ($160)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BeyerDynamic-A200P-High-end-Portable-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-716715-By-Astel-/311477670640?hash=item48858412f0:g:cQcAAOSwlV9WSoUT

ONKYO ($195)
http://www.amazon.com/portable-headphone-amplifier-equipped-DAC-HA200/dp/B00L5H6B3C

Here are some of my most general E-series questions:

• What quality can be achieved over bluetooth?
  • What quality can be achieved over micro USB?
  • Which method achieves the best quality (f.ex: 16/44.1, 24/96, etc)?
  • Can the other brand affordable portable units do better?

I found some hope regarding the power/volume issue in an earlier reply to this thread, that mentions an update turning the micro USB port of the E5 into a DAC port, instead of just a dumb AOA (Android Open Accessory) port:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/732171/creative-sound-blaster-e5-headphone-amp-usb-dac-with-otg-toslink-aptx-recording-more/840#post_11757867

• Does this update require purchase of the unique micro-to-micro USB OTG cable?
  • Does this update circumvent the proposed 16/44.1 quality restriction on Android?
  • Does this update translate to the E3 as well, or is the E3 bottlenecked when connected via micro USB?

To be honest I have no problem using the E3 over bluetooth, but I would like to be able to plug it in for better quality if possible. If the E3 cannot do this, but the E5 can, I would consider upgrading to the E5. I would also consider ditching the E-series if other units can operate at a higher quality over USB with an app like USB Audio Player PRO. It's just not clear to me what are the limitations of the individual devices and, from what I've read, many manufacturers have proprietary implementations of things like AOA. Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this for me!

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #1,300 of 2,345
If you update the firmware on the E5, you can disable the battery charging by double-clicking the power button on the E5. The Fiio Q1 has a physical battery charging switch that works well for that purpose. NX2 looks like it has separate power and data ports.

And as far as quality goes, USB trumps Bluetooth by far, even if you have the best aptX low latency transmitter. Bluetooth is mostly a convenience feature, not a quality feature here.

And with the USB Host thing on Android, I don't think I've tested it much on the Shield K1 I've got, but I think it worked better through micro USB?

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #1,301 of 2,345
  Just received my E5, and was impressed for the first hour. However, I can't get the SBX or EQ to work in the SB software on my Mac when it is connected via USB. If it is connected exclusively via bluetooth (or to my android device over bluetooth), it works fine. Anyone have a fix?  Was otherwise impressed driving my EL-8's

This was driving me nuts for about a week. I saw you were having the same problem so I made an account. 

Close the sound blaster control panel 

1 Stop all audio playback on the e5 and connect it to the mac via usb
2 cmd + space Audio Midi Setup
3 Select the Sound Blaster e5
4 Change 'Clock source' to 'DSP Clock'
5 Close 
6 Open the soundblaster control panel app, It should be responsive. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #1,302 of 2,345
My E5 has been idle since I landed a good deal on a Fiio E18. The deal breaker for me was the inability to disable charging from the E5 when connected to my Z3 via the micro USB output.
I know about double pressing the power button to stop charging from the USB host socket, but when I last checked, this doesn't work for the micro USB.
I remember reading (somewhere) that Creative are working on a solution. Is that right? If so, it might persuade me to hang on to the E5 a bit longer, as at present the Fiio makes more sense in my circumstances.

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #1,303 of 2,345
If you update the firmware on the E5, you can disable the battery charging by double-clicking the power button on the E5. The Fiio Q1 has a physical battery charging switch that works well for that purpose. NX2 looks like it has separate power and data ports.

And as far as quality goes, USB trumps Bluetooth by far, even if you have the best aptX low latency transmitter. Bluetooth is mostly a convenience feature, not a quality feature here.

And with the USB Host thing on Android, I don't think I've tested it much on the Shield K1 I've got, but I think it worked better through micro USB?

Hello, my experience with the Soundblaster E5 is no difference in audio quality between lightening and blue tooth.
I think it is important to dustinguish blue tooth on iphone which seems to be really good cmpared to many other phones, i understand this is due to Airplay codecs.

However in general i would agree with you that USB trumps bluetooth but for these specific devices my experience based on considerable experimentation tells me otherwise.
When i purchased the soundblaster E5 initially the plan was only to use direct lightening connection as i did not want to compromise at all on audio quality and was not gong to use bluetooth. Now inonly use bluetooth. (Apple lossless CD rip music partnered with ATH M50x, also tried Senn HD 700, Audeze EL8).
If i had a bigger budget at the time of purchase I would have gone for Oppo HA5 but the Uk prices are silly high (£140 more than the E5).

Before sending this post i again did another experiment and cannot see/hear any improvement with lightening connection over bluetooth. The Soundblaster uses Bluetooth 4.1LE not Bluetooth 4.0 for information.

Please can some one out there challenge my experience as maybe my hearing is inferior ( if you have the Soundblaster E5 and iPhone 6/iPhone 6plus or the new s models).

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #1,304 of 2,345
  I mainly use the E5 via USB with my laptop, and have no issues. There definitely isn't a "really bad noise" via the USB, maybe the toslink is a little cleaner or maybe it was an issue with his computer or USB port.  I haven't used the toslink in so can't compare, but via USB it sound fine to me.

I wouldn't let that keep me from getting the E5.

i was afraid and bought the dragonfly 1.2 the sound is great but because of my fidelio x2 and v-moda boompro setup i have to use the Y-cable and my onboard soundcard for the micophone.
this one cable solution causes bad noise and annoying sound in the fidelio x2.i had to separate the boompro and fidelio x2 this works fine but its annoying because i have to fix both cables on the headphone .i will give the e5 a try and hope it works and sound not as bad as the reviews say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back