Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Nov 24, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,126 of 2,345

Nope, doesn't appear to work. I thought that only referred to charging while using the MicroUSB plug, not the full-sized USB host plug.

Sorry. I just checked manual and started to try the controls. That apparently applies only to MicroUSB after testing it just now.

Btw, we can answer call using the SBX button.
Quote from manual
Press once to answer/end a call.
Press and hold 2 sec to reject an incoming call. OR
Press and hold 2 sec to activate your mobile device's Voice Assistant. 

Edit: This works in bluetooth mode. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #1,127 of 2,345
Although I'm happy the latest firmware update allows SB Central to be used with a BT iOS connection, the IOS BT connection remains very unstable.

Various times the BT connection fails. As I was watching/listening to videos from Apple Music, not only was there a great deal of hiss between videos, moving back to the video listing causes the connection to fail.

The BT connection light remains a solid blue but the connection is actually failing. Moving to the next selected video and the audio defaults back to the idevice speaker. What a pain! To reconnect, the iOS device and E5 must be restarted.

If anyone from Creative watches this thread, please address this problem.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, reconfiguring the volume button to actually stop what's playing instead of muting should be addressed.

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,128 of 2,345
Am I crazy, or did the sound change after the latest firmware update? I feel like there might be better soundstage/separation than before? I could be crazy, I wasn't expecting anything to have changed, but I feel like the sound is better over USB from my computer than it was before. Need to do some other testing, but who knows!

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #1,129 of 2,345
  Am I crazy, or did the sound change after the latest firmware update? I feel like there might be better soundstage/separation than before? I could be crazy, I wasn't expecting anything to have changed, but I feel like the sound is better over USB from my computer than it was before. Need to do some other testing, but who knows!

You could be correct. Something has changed. I have to turn volume down now. Maybe the fiddled with gain?

If I convince myself this to be important, I will roll back my system to the image prior to the update and take a listen....

Cheers.

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #1,130 of 2,345

Like @FlacFan, the gain has been adjusted. I'm still relearning the volume setting. On more than one occasion I have unwittingly blown out my ear canals since the update.

Not just the gain though, I have noticed SQ enhancement.

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,131 of 2,345
Like @FlacFan, the gain has been adjusted. I'm still relearning the volume setting. On more than one occasion I have unwittingly blown out my ear canals since the update.

Not just the gain though, I have noticed SQ enhancement.

Yeah, I have definitely seen the volume settings being different. But I'm glad that I'm not completely crazy here about noticing a difference. I really wasn't expecting anything more than Bluetooth control of SB Central...

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #1,132 of 2,345
I noticed less static, that the unit is a bit cooler, and an overall better listening experience after this firmware update. Sound quality could just be placebo, but I am sure about Creative app and Bluetooth connection being better now.

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #1,133 of 2,345
  I noticed less static, that the unit is a bit cooler, and an overall better listening experience after this firmware update. Sound quality could just be placebo, but I am sure about Creative app and Bluetooth connection being better now.

Yeah, it feels a bit cooler too. But I'm pretty sure the sound quality isn't just a placebo because I was listening to music, paused it to update the firmware, resumed it once the update was done and noticed a difference. Kind of crazy that it's just a silent firmware update, but whatever. I'll take it! Thanks Creative!

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #1,134 of 2,345

Yeah, it feels a bit cooler too. But I'm pretty sure the sound quality isn't just a placebo because I was listening to music, paused it to update the firmware, resumed it once the update was done and noticed a difference. Kind of crazy that it's just a silent firmware update, but whatever. I'll take it! Thanks Creative!

Heat reduction is definitely a welcome change, I left it in my pocket today and it felt significantly less hot to the touch.

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,135 of 2,345
Thinking of pulling the trigger on Amazon's DT990/E5 combo for $299.99, but I have a few questions:
1. Maybe I'm missing something, but the line/optical out jack-does that only accept a toslink, or can I use a regular 3.5mm jack (I need line-level audio to my Klipsch Promedia's, which uses a 3.5mm male plug). This is kind of a deal breaker for me if the E5 can't accommodate an analog line out. I currently own an Fiio E10K, and it has a handy-dandy 3.5mm line out.
2. Since Creative won't or can't tell us power specs, I'm assuming the E5 is powerful enough to drive the DT990's (250 ohm version)? I have found, upon borrowing a friend's DT990's, that the E10K can't drive them sufficiently.
3. This will be used exclusively as a desktop amp. Any issues from having a constantly charging battery in the mix? (Obviously I'm using the micro USB to connect to my computer).
I know power isn't everything with amps, but this particular amp seems to check off a lot of boxes for me (power, using different sound profiles for different headphones, small form factor, a company that stays on top of firmware updates).  I'm coming from the Fiio E10K, which has served me well over the years, but I keep having to replace it because of various issues.  Plus, this Amazon deal seems pretty good.  I really love the DT990's (250ohm) "fun" sound and extreme comfort, plus I think the E5 will serve the other headphones I have well (PortaPros, ATH-M50's, XB-700's, Denon AH-D1100's).
I was eyeing the O2+ODAC, and Schiit stacks, but this amp seems more flexible, and of course that Amazon price!

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #1,136 of 2,345
Hi Splungeworthy,

1. you can use this for TOSLINK:
 or a cable like this: 

On the same jack there is analog LINE-IN and LINE-OUT. You cannot use TOSLINK + Analog simultaneously.

2. electrical power specs:

For power-specs of the headphone out, you can orientate yourself at the datasheet of the headphone driver: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa6120a2.pdf
I couldn't find it right now, but maybe somebody can help here with detailed information...

3. constantly charging battery

I have noticed on my E5, that it always starts to charge when connecting it to my laptop or pc. It's a pity that there is not a charge-switch, like on the JDS C5D for example. 

Except for the great flexibility and value, the E5 also uses a highly regarded headphone driver chip as well as a quite qualitative DAC-Chip and a lot of other great silicon. (cortex M3, 24bit/96kHz DSP, CSR-Bloutooth-SoC, TI-Regulators, etc...)

kind regards
Fabian

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,137 of 2,345
Originally Posted by fabifri /img/forum/go_quote.gif

3. constantly charging battery

I have noticed on my E5, that it always starts to charge when connecting it to my laptop or pc. It's a pity that there is not a charge-switch, like on the JDS C5D for example. 

I believe you can stop the E5 from charging via it Micro USB port by pressing the power button twice (while on).

This is great when running via Micro USB with a phone, though with use with a computer I don't know why you would want to do this.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #1,138 of 2,345
Fabifri,
Unless that first picture is of a toslink to 3.5mm female adapter that's not gonna work for me. And that PDF was way too technical for me. I was thinking of maybe going with the E09K, using adapters to allow output to the Klipsch speakers, using the E10K as a dac (line out from E10K to E09K line in using a 3.5mm male to stereo rca males). That would work right? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back