Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Oct 1, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,007 of 2,345
If you guys haven't update your E5's firmware, do so. Here.

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,008 of 2,345
  If you guys haven't update your E5's firmware, do so. Here.

That's good advice - and the first thing I did when my E5 arrived yesterday.

I'm impressed so far - connected my Xperia Z3 via USB and the E5 picked it up without a hitch.

Sound is very promising - open and airy with plenty of juice to drive my K550. APTX bluetooth was also a pleasant surprise - very good quality indeed.

I've downloaded the Creative desktop software for the E5 and will have a look at the various settings in detail when I have time. My aim will be to set everything to the optimal settings for unadulterated stereo (so if anyone has done this already I'd welcome some tips).

The only thing against the E5 is its size. It's not exactly huge, but it's just on the wrong side of pocketability (for me anyway). No big deal, that's a price worth paying for its cool feature list. Very pleased with it, based on initial impressions.

A curse on this place - I appear to have just ordered a Fiio E18 as well! - It was 'open box' and half price, so what was I supposed to do? But heck, I've already got enough obsessions without introducing a new one :)

Now, as I wait for the E18 to arrive, I'm wondering how it will stack up against the E5. It's smaller (that much I know)...

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #1,009 of 2,345
That's good advice - and the first thing I did when my E5 arrived yesterday.

I'm impressed so far - connected my Xperia Z3 via USB and the E5 picked it up without a hitch.

Sound is very promising - open and airy with plenty of juice to drive my K550. APTX bluetooth was also a pleasant surprise - very good quality indeed.

I've downloaded the Creative desktop software for the E5 and will have a look at the various settings in detail when I have time. My aim will be to set everything to the optimal settings for unadulterated stereo (so if anyone has done this already I'd welcome some tips).

The only thing against the E5 is its size. It's not exactly huge, but it's just on the wrong side of pocketability (for me anyway). No big deal, that's a price worth paying for its cool feature list. Very pleased with it, based on initial impressions.

A curse on this place - I appear to have just ordered a Fiio E18 as well! - It was 'open box' and half price, so what was I supposed to do? But heck, I've already got enough obsessions without introducing a new one :)

Now, as I wait for the E18 to arrive, I'm wondering how it will stack up against the E5. It's smaller (that much I know)...

OK, the E18 has arrived. Before buying it (and the E5), my only foray into the world of portable amps was an old CMOY (in a zippo tin). Both the E18 and E5 surpass the performance of the CMOY, though the latter cost me a lot less and is still a great value device.

Anyway, E18 v E5: not really a like for like comparison, as the E5 is more versatile by some distance. It's also a lot less portable. Used as a headphone amp connected to my Xperia Z3 via USB (which is going to be my main usage scenario), both units have a lot going for them. There isn't much in it in terms of sound quality - if anything, I prefer the E18 with my AKG K550 (a little bit richer and warmer than the E5). I have yet to try other headphones/IEMs from my small collection, though I suspect I will find my preference will change according to how each amp's sound signature matches individual headphones. That's pretty much how it seems to work...

More to follow, but my thoughts thus far are that the E18 is better suited to my particular needs. That is not to say that it is better than the E5, but its smaller size and lower price are key factors for me.
That said, the E5 offers tremendous functionality (the aptx bluetooth is excellent, for example). If I thought I'd use those extra features, I could probably justify the extra size and cost.

My problem now is that I'm already wondering how much I'd need to spend to take portable listening to the next level...

Oct 4, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,010 of 2,345
Hy!

i've one "simple" question...!
I would like to acquire audio from my android (sony xperia z3c) usb.

In my case:
I have my *amr files, i would like to save as flac files.

How?

Xperia z3c (playng amr) > usb otg / or other usb /or aptx > E5 > PC (with acquiring sw like audials)

It's possible?????

Thank You, thank you, thank you...

Oct 4, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #1,011 of 2,345
... In my case:
I have tidal, i would like to save my playlist on my pc, as flac files.

Not to say it is impossible, but what you are asking essentially will violate Tidal's term of service and therefore it is forbidden to discuss it in Head-Fi.

Oct 4, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #1,012 of 2,345
...In my case:
I have tidal, i would like to save my playlist on my pc, as flac files.

Not to say it is impossible, but what you are asking essentially will violate Tidal's term of service and therefore it is forbidden to discuss it in Head-Fi.

Ops.... I'm sorry I'll change my post.
So...
I would like to acquire my recorded note that have an *amr format.
Can I do with e5?

thank you!!

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #1,013 of 2,345
Have a question, is it possible to control the volume of headphone outs separately through the Sound Blaster software? If not, would it be a good solution to put one of the outs through a separate amp? What would be a good cheap, small amp if so?

Or is there some device or gizmo which lowers the volume when put between the amp (E5) and the headphone cable?

EDIT: Oh, this is awfully simple, just need a volume control cable it seems:

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155954-VC20-Volume-Control/dp/B00001P4XH/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444011992&sr=1-1&keywords=volume+control+cable

http://www.amazon.com/Stellar-Labs-35-4180-Headphone-Control/dp/B008DJTB32/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0448BSV7GBAGJ3KM0615

Still, I'd like to know if I can do this through software because quality.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,014 of 2,345
Can the E5 decode dolby digital surround? I am looking for a good optical dac for my Playstation 3 and I as hoping to use it primarily for gaming purposes. The E17 does optical input well, but it doesn't support surround sound headphones.

Thanks in advance

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #1,015 of 2,345
  Have a question, is it possible to control the volume of headphone outs separately through the Sound Blaster software? If not, would it be a good solution to put one of the outs through a separate amp? What would be a good cheap, small amp if so?

Or is there some device or gizmo which lowers the volume when put between the amp (E5) and the headphone cable?

EDIT: Oh, this is awfully simple, just need a volume control cable it seems:

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155954-VC20-Volume-Control/dp/B00001P4XH/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444011992&sr=1-1&keywords=volume+control+cable

http://www.amazon.com/Stellar-Labs-35-4180-Headphone-Control/dp/B008DJTB32/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0448BSV7GBAGJ3KM0615

Still, I'd like to know if I can do this through software because quality.

Separately - from what? The volume knob on the E5 acts as the master volume. Nothing else is needed. The software volume slider and the windows master volume slider are synced to that.

Also, your really don't want to amp an amp....that makes no sense whatsoever - to me that is.

Cheers.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #1,016 of 2,345
  Can the E5 decode dolby digital surround? I am looking for a good optical dac for my Playstation 3 and I as hoping to use it primarily for gaming purposes. The E17 does optical input well, but it doesn't support surround sound headphones.

Thanks in advance

No.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #1,017 of 2,345

Thanks in advance

the Axx1 DSP chip used in E5 is Dolby digital certified, which means it can decode dolby digital..but whether they are going to write the firmware for it is another story...

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #1,018 of 2,345

Separately - from what? The volume knob on the E5 acts as the master volume. Nothing else is needed. The software volume slider and the windows master volume slider are synced to that.

Also, your really don't want to amp an amp....that makes no sense whatsoever - to me that is.

Cheers.

Surely you understand the value of having separate volume control for separate headphones both connected to the same device at the same time?
Anyway looks I'll go for the Koss volume control cable.

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #1,019 of 2,345
Creative needs to stop using digital volume control tied to the operating system and I'll explain why.

With high sensitivity headphones you end up with an extremely narrow range of volume to work with. For example, 0/100 is mute and 5/100 may be loud. That means you have 5 different levels of loudness which is far too little. I had this exact problem with the E3 and you just can't live with such coarse adjustment. It's also dangerous because if something does reset the volume to 100/100 then it will destroy your IEMs and your hearing. This is why volume control on the E5 should never be tied to the operating system.

I'm sure they've made the same mistake with the G5.

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,020 of 2,345
  Creative needs to stop using digital volume control tied to the operating system and I'll explain why.

With high sensitivity headphones you end up with an extremely narrow range of volume to work with. For example, 0/100 is mute and 5/100 may be loud. That means you have 5 different levels of loudness which is far too little. I had this exact problem with the E3 and you just can't live with such coarse adjustment. It's also dangerous because if something does reset the volume to 100/100 then it will destroy your IEMs and your hearing. This is why volume control on the E5 should never be tied to the operating system.

I'm sure they've made the same mistake with the G5.

You're right. I'd love to hear from Ryan or any of the other creative people about why this is implemented in their software. It's worse on OSX than Windows because the volume controls are less granular. My X7 LE amp is set to 2-3 bars out of 20 (i.e. 10-15%) the majority of the time. My K7XX are a little harder to drive and I get a bit more volume out of those, maybe 40% of max volume. But the point is, you're stuck on the low end of the volume controls all the time and there's not much of a way to dial it in with any precision. They just need to change this across the board with the E5, X7, and everything else that uses the digital volume control at the OS level. Digital volume controls are acceptable if done right, but it blows my mind that anyone would design a volume control that uses 10-20% of the total spectrum. It's just pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back