Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
May 21, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #737 of 2,345
I am a gamer and i agree to disagree lol.
I want a good external dac/amp for gaming too without a card occupying my slot XD

But i do set my eye on x7 instead of e5... now creative, i just need your new line-up to be available in my country (indonesia) while a*** hasn't release anything yet to combat your e/x line

May 26, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #738 of 2,345
File Name : SBE5_PCFW_EN_150511.exe

What's New:
  1. Support disable/enable charging through micro-USB port (Double-press Power button)

Is this IOS only? Because I've flashed this new firmware, and whether I'm connected normally (power button is constantly lit) or if I double press it (power button begins to blink on/off with 1 second intervals), my Android phone (Oneplus One, Android 5.1.1) is still being charged with around 150-200mA.

Just spent about 45 minutes listening to an album coming off a full charge, and I'm in the red. Looks like about a little over 1 hour play time. I'm not seeing how this USB host mode playback on Android is of any use this way?

May 26, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #739 of 2,345

I'm an linux only user (and android) and I'm interested in this amp. You tried to change the mic in alsamixer? You can look how is the device recognised from linux? (a quick look at dmesg when you connect it should tell you what driver is using or http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/60078/find-out-which-modules-are-associated-with-a-usb-device)

There's only one module for linux usb audio, snd_usb_audio. Trouble is that there is no working control through pavucontrol. That being said, if you're willing to fiddle with alsamixer you can actually toggle the recording source. You can look up "Unit 17" and toggle it; there's no real indication of what you're toggling to/from but it does mute the mic (and probably switches the rec source to line in).

May 26, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #740 of 2,345
So can I use this new feature to bypass the battery when I connect it to my laptop ? does double pressing the power button stop the charging when connected to a laptop through the USB port ?

May 26, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #741 of 2,345
I think you have it backwards, the problem was people using cellphones had the E5 trying to charge their phone, which drained the E5's battery pretty quickly.

The E5 is supposed to charge off a USB port, it's normal however now you can stop the E5 from charging other devices, letting everything run on it's own battery.

May 26, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #742 of 2,345

Is this IOS only? Because I've flashed this new firmware, and whether I'm connected normally (power button is constantly lit) or if I double press it (power button begins to blink on/off with 1 second intervals), my Android phone (Oneplus One, Android 5.1.1) is still being charged with around 150-200mA.

Just spent about 45 minutes listening to an album coming off a full charge, and I'm in the red. Looks like about a little over 1 hour play time. I'm not seeing how this USB host mode playback on Android is of any use this way?

It doesn't matter whether it is iOS, Android, MacOS  or Windows, double pressed the power button (with LED blinking) will stop E5 from drawing power from the *microUSB port. It does not affect the USB-A female port.

This is primary a response to people who are using Android. The original design requires Android to connect to USB-A port which runs on AOA protocol, and Google specifies that the slave unit (E5 in this case) must charge the host device (*whatever Android smartphone you are using). The reason to uses AOA originally is because AOA is natively supported by all Android above 3.0, so it will give wider compatibility. But people complain that this way will result in E5 emptying its battery much faster that they like. So Creative, via the new firmware, implements the USB Host function into the microUSB port and charging disabling option, which allows Android smartphone to connect to E5 via the microUSB port when E5's charging is disable. Instead, both the smartphone and E5 runs on their own power all the time. The downside is that, USB Host for audio is not nearly as widely supported as AOA. The only way this will work is that the particular Android smartphone model must already support USB Host with the proper USB DAC driver implemented by the smartphone manufacturer, or USB Host that can works with apps like USB Audio Player Pro, Onkyo HR Player or HibyMusic player that come with their own external USB DAC driver support.

May 27, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #743 of 2,345
Hello Everyone,

And so I was using this amp on my iPhone 6 and it works pretty well without any issues with the USB host. I tried using it with my other phone (Galaxy Note 3) running lollipop but couldn't output any sound from the earphones (same earphone with the iphone 6). Am i missing something here? Installed Sound Blaster Central and Sound Blaster Services from Play store. I was able to configure the device using the app while the phone is connected with the device via USB Host. Playing some flac on jetAudio Plus and the Stock music player and nothing comes out from the earphones. All i'm using now to play some music is via bluetooth only as USB Host doesn't work. Tried different USB cables from stock cables to micro usb and still no avail.

Hope anyone here can give me some tips/ideas to fix it.

May 27, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #744 of 2,345
  Hello Everyone,

And so I was using this amp on my iPhone 6 and it works pretty well without any issues with the USB host. I tried using it with my other phone (Galaxy Note 3) running lollipop but couldn't output any sound from the earphones (same earphone with the iphone 6). Am i missing something here? Installed Sound Blaster Central and Sound Blaster Services from Play store. I was able to configure the device using the app while the phone is connected with the device via USB Host. Playing some flac on jetAudio Plus and the Stock music player and nothing comes out from the earphones. All i'm using now to play some music is via bluetooth only as USB Host doesn't work. Tried different USB cables from stock cables to micro usb and still no avail.

Hope anyone here can give me some tips/ideas to fix it.

Update: I found a USB OTG cable in my drawer and now using it with another micro usb cable. Just in time with the firmware update. sweet! but still puzzled why it doesn't work via USB-A port though.

May 27, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #745 of 2,345

Update: I found a USB OTG cable in my drawer and now using it with another micro usb cable. Just in time with the firmware update. sweet! but still puzzled why it doesn't work via USB-A port though.

As mentioned in my previous post, E5's USB-A is using AOA protocol, where the microUSB port is using USB Host. If you are using USB Host (*via microUSB-to-microUSB, aka USB OTG cable), you need to disable charging on the E5 in order for most smartphone to detect it correctly. If you are using AOA (via a USB-A-to-microUSB cable), then you will see a prompt from Creative service on the smartphone telling you it is running and you will see your smartphone being charged at the same time. If you don't see them, change your cable or restart your smartphone.

May 28, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #746 of 2,345
I have a question that I think I already know the answer to. I'm using an iPhone 6+ via lightning port. So with the E5 pulling digital audio off my phone, will the E5 connect via Bluetooth to aptx enabled headphones? Effectively bypassing the iPhone's lame non-aptx Bluetooth output. I have a Noble BTS coming on Saturday and it would be ideal.

May 28, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #747 of 2,345
I have a question that I think I already know the answer to. I'm using an iPhone 6+ via lightning port. So with the E5 pulling digital audio off my phone, will the E5 connect via Bluetooth to aptx enabled headphones? Effectively bypassing the iPhone's lame non-aptx Bluetooth output. I have a Noble BTS coming on Saturday and it would be ideal.

No. E5 is a BT receiver, not a BT transmitter.

May 28, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #748 of 2,345
Hi all,

I need your advice.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy SII which doesn't have a good DAC as far as I know. I use it in my car (Honda Accord 2008 EX-L) to listen to music (mainly rock music). I almost always have my phone in the car being charged via USB and connected to the AUX In of the car via the 3.5 mm male-to-male audio cable.

I am interested in purchasing a portable DAC for the following reasons:
1) Improve the audio/sound quality of my music without replacing the OEM audio system.
2) Remove the use of the audio cable and have my phone connect wireless-ly via Bluetooth to the portable DAC.

The use of this portable DAC will be almost strictly in the car (engine noise, road noise, etc.) so I guess that I am looking to improve the audio quality but I'm not trying to create a recording studio out of the inside of my car. I also am not into rigging my car so that people in the next state can hear what I hear... maybe just the car right next to me. :wink:

I would like to leave the DAC in the car 24/7, always connected to both AUX IN and USB charger so that it never runs out of battery and always ready to connect to my smartphone (via BT) and play music when I start the car.

With all the above said, I have the following questions/comments:
1) Should I be getting the E5 or is the E3 more than sufficient for the setting/scenario above? I feel like the E5 might be overkill because it has so many features that I won't be using. E1 is out of the question because it doesn't have BT. In other words, would I hear any difference between the two in a running, moving car. Use of headphones with this DAC will be very minimal. Also, I don't have any high-end headphones.
2) Does the E3/E5 sleep when it's powered on for a while but no music is playing? If yes, does it wake up if it receives electrical or audio signal? Or both? Or do I actually need to turn it off and on. I just want to see whether I can start the car and start moving or I need to press a button here or there before I drive.
3) I noticed that the E5 has two outputs for audio--headphone and line-level out, but the E3 has a headphone output. Does it matter which of these I use when I connect it to the AUX In of my car? I assume that in this scenario I would be using the amp in the car itself?
4) I noticed that the E5 supports aptX Low Latency but E3 through supports just aptX. I have a feeling that for my use case, standard aptX would work just fine (and of course assuming I upgrade my phone to an aptX-compatible one).

Finally, based on my needs above, can you think of another portable DAC that's better than the E3/E5 that is around this price range (between $100 and $200)?

Your input/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

May 28, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #750 of 2,345
Hi all,

I need your advice.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy SII which doesn't have a good DAC as far as I know. I use it in my car (Honda Accord 2008 EX-L) to listen to music (mainly rock music). I almost always have my phone in the car being charged via USB and connected to the AUX In of the car via the 3.5 mm male-to-male audio cable.

I am interested in purchasing a portable DAC for the following reasons:
1) Improve the audio/sound quality of my music without replacing the OEM audio system.
2) Remove the use of the audio cable and have my phone connect wireless-ly via Bluetooth to the portable DAC.

The use of this portable DAC will be almost strictly in the car (engine noise, road noise, etc.) so I guess that I am looking to improve the audio quality but I'm not trying to create a recording studio out of the inside of my car. I also am not into rigging my car so that people in the next state can hear what I hear... maybe just the car right next to me. :wink:

I would like to leave the DAC in the car 24/7, always connected to both AUX IN and USB charger so that it never runs out of battery and always ready to connect to my smartphone (via BT) and play music when I start the car.

With all the above said, I have the following questions/comments:
1) Should I be getting the E5 or is the E3 more than sufficient for the setting/scenario above? I feel like the E5 might be overkill because it has so many features that I won't be using. E1 is out of the question because it doesn't have BT. In other words, would I hear any difference between the two in a running, moving car. Use of headphones with this DAC will be very minimal. Also, I don't have any high-end headphones.
2) Does the E3/E5 sleep when it's powered on for a while but no music is playing? If yes, does it wake up if it receives electrical or audio signal? Or both? Or do I actually need to turn it off and on. I just want to see whether I can start the car and start moving or I need to press a button here or there before I drive.
3) I noticed that the E5 has two outputs for audio--headphone and line-level out, but the E3 has a headphone output. Does it matter which of these I use when I connect it to the AUX In of my car? I assume that in this scenario I would be using the amp in the car itself?
4) I noticed that the E5 supports aptX Low Latency but E3 through supports just aptX. I have a feeling that for my use case, standard aptX would work just fine (and of course assuming I upgrade my phone to an aptX-compatible one).

Finally, based on my needs above, can you think of another portable DAC that's better than the E3/E5 that is around this price range (between $100 and $200)?

Your input/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have never tried an E3, but I think you will find what you're after in the E5 (and even the E3, to a -perhaps- lesser extent). I've used it in the same configuration in the car as you propose on one or two occasions and it does an excellent job. Personally, I'm not coy about using EQ, so both the SB apps EQ and bass boost come in handy, and are available on the E3 too. Having said that, as you are after the DAC section and better SQ, I think the E5 is a better choice.

As long as you have bluetooth enabled on your phone prior to connection, the E5 will connect to your phone by simply turning it on with the press of the power button for 2 seconds.

From experience (and I could be wrong), it won't sleep in bluetooth (and I don't think it will in USB either) so turning it off would be wise if you're out of the car for a while.

The line out would be the better choice for connection on the E5 as it bypasses the amp. But if you wanted to use it as a pre-amp with volume adjustment, the headphone out is just fine. Either headphone connection is alright for this purpose, there's no discernable difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back