Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
May 15, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #707 of 2,345
Gents,
E5 can also work as microphone preamp and output amplified mic signal to line out, correct? Thank you!

It will work with dynamic microphones via 1/8" and shares the jack with line in and optical line in. Selection is done in the software between the 3 inputs sharing the same jack. You can enable monitoring of the mic signal which would send it out of the line output. You will need to use the android app or windows app to configure it for that but it should remember the settings once it's set. It also has 3 built in microphones and will record stereo in portrait or landscape mode thanks to a built in tilt sensor.

May 15, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #708 of 2,345
Thank you very much Kodhifi. I have read about E5's spec and am aware of the jack sizes/inputs/outputs.

Are you sure E5 needs an app to remember/configure mic pre to line out (without computer or smartphone will E5 work that way)? Since I would use that only one input jack and only one line out jack together (won't use hp out at the same time with mic pre and line out), and E5 has its own processor, I would guess the "configuration" is done automatically by E5 alone (w/o phone or computer) when plugs are in? Thanks again.

May 15, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #709 of 2,345
  Great news! Creative has updated E5's firmware and now it supports host mode, so no more charging when connectted to Android smartphone. You can find the new firmware on Creative support page.

Great! This is an important update! Thanks!

May 15, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #710 of 2,345
I think Kodhifi meant you would need a device to set it up once. (inputs, levels, etc) and after that, it just keeps that setting every time it is powered up.
You can even set up a profile like "Preamp" in the configuration so you can quickly choose from multiple setups quickly

Thank you very much Kodhifi. I have read about E5's spec and am aware of the jack sizes/inputs/outputs.

Are you sure E5 needs an app to remember/configure mic pre to line out (without computer or smartphone will E5 work that way)? Since I would use that only one input jack and only one line out jack together (won't use hp out at the same time with mic pre and line out), and E5 has its own processor, I would guess the "configuration" is done automatically by E5 alone (w/o phone or computer) when plugs are in? Thanks again.

May 15, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #712 of 2,345

Thanks. I knew that was what Kodhifi meant. I was wondering if E5 can auto detect / function as mic pre by deafult without user configuration using computer/smartphone. I actually plan to use E5 as a dumb pocket device mostly (so less configuration the better) - except that I would use AptX and occationally mic pre to line out.

May 15, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #713 of 2,345

I can confirm 100% that out of the box the E5 will not pass microphone to line out. If it did that there would be lots of feedback and any sound around the listener would make it to their feed, which is usually undesirable. It must specifically be told in the mixer settings to monitor Microphone. Otherwise the Mic signal is only used when recording over USB or Blu-tooth, never in the headphone or line out.

The E5 is a miniature computer of sorts and it does store configuration on board. It requires a pc or phone in order to set it up but once set up, it should retain those settings even when not plugged in. I'm getting the impression that you want to use the E5 as a microphone pre-amp to drive a PA or something and yes it could be used for that by setting the software to 'monitor' the mic in but it's obviously not going to do as good a job at this as a dedicated amp. If that's all you need, you may have better luck getting one of the inexpensive Xenyx pre-amp Behringer USB mixers which are as low as $50 for 2 input to USB with XLR, phantom power, or TRS.

May 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #715 of 2,345
hi,
i update my SB E5 DAC to  firmware 150551 and use it with usb host mode with my iphone 5s. it said it support 24-bit/96kHz playback mode for iOS devices

What's New:
  1. Support mixer control in standalone/mobile mode
  2. Support 24-bit/96kHz playback mode for iOS devices
  3. Added Scout Mode support (Double-press SBX Button)
  4. Support disable/enable charging through micro-USB port (Double-press Power button)
  5. S/PDIF-out will be muted when any of the headphone jacks is inserted

i use, FLAC Player for iPhone,and  the Audio Hardware info of  this app show me 48000Hz on hardware info playback

Does anyone playback at 96Hz on ios device with  SB E5 Dac ?

May 17, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #719 of 2,345
Guys what should I buy SQ-wise - this SB or fiio e18? Will go only with usb-otg android.

Creatuve E5 is dimensionally thicker than Fiio E18 (with a phone attached via USB, the stack may be too thick to be truly portable).

E5 also seem to have more driving power than Fiio. Your ATH-M50 or Focal Classic Spirit does not need much amp power though - most portable amps can drive them more than sufficiently. Other owners can comment on subjective sound quality.

May 17, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #720 of 2,345
Creatuve E5 is dimensionally thicker than Fiio E18 (with a phone attached via USB, the stack may be too thick to be truly portable).

E5 also seem to have more driving power than Fiio. Your ATH-M50 or Focal Classic Spirit does not need much amp power though - most portable amps can drive them more than sufficiently. Other owners can comment on subjective sound quality.

I actually posted in the DAC forum with some recorded FLAC of the E5 head to head with a Musicstreamer ii plus and a Schiit Modi 2 uber. I recorded the analog output into a professional recording interface and exported as 24/44.1 FLAC.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766815/comparison-flac-recordings-of-modi-2-uber-and-musicstreamer-ii-plus#post_11610145

Users who are viewing this thread

Back