Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Apr 11, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #631 of 2,345
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I have a SB ZXR on my desktop, plus a Steinberg UR22 audio interface, the SB E5 for portable, and the ATH CK7, ANC9, ADG1 headphones. I also have a HTPC with an old Rotel + Infinity setup, but will leave details of that for some other time. 

I have been using the E5 with my Samsung S5 (Kitkat) and just updated to the S6 Edge (Lollipop 5.0.2). I just thought I'd shoot through a quick post to say that this works great with the E5, both with USB Direct (subject to same battery discharge issues as on KitKat) and over Bluetooth.

I'll post some pictures once my account is approved.

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #632 of 2,345
Another thing I'm noticing is there is some static noise in-between songs and or at quite times. Is anyone else experiencing this? I really do like the sound of this though!

Any time I've had that it was the windows audio pipelone/Soundblaster driver. Power cycling the E5 and rebooting the PC got rid of it. I have not had that happen once since disabling Intel Speedstep in the BIOS. USB problems on the E5 and my mouse melted away.

If you're having a really hard time, uninstall the creative drivers/software. It will lock it at 24/48 and you won't be albe to adjust the XMB but it will generally be more stable.

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #633 of 2,345
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I have a SB ZXR on my desktop, plus a Steinberg UR22 audio interface, the SB E5 for portable, and the ATH CK7, ANC9, ADG1 headphones. I also have a HTPC with an old Rotel + Infinity setup, but will leave details of that for some other time. 

I have been using the E5 with my Samsung S5 (Kitkat) and just updated to the S6 Edge (Lollipop 5.0.2). I just thought I'd shoot through a quick post to say that this works great with the E5, both with USB Direct (subject to same battery discharge issues as on KitKat) and over Bluetooth.

I'll post some pictures once my account is approved.

Can you compare the e5 with the zxr? Will appreciate the comparison between those two :)

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #634 of 2,345
Any time I've had that it was the windows audio pipelone/Soundblaster driver. Power cycling the E5 and rebooting the PC got rid of it. I have not had that happen once since disabling Intel Speedstep in the BIOS. USB problems on the E5 and my mouse melted away.

If you're having a really hard time, uninstall the creative drivers/software. It will lock it at 24/48 and you won't be albe to adjust the XMB but it will generally be more stable.

I should have mentioned that I strictly use this with my iPhone 5s only. I really like that XMB fake or not it shur brings life/fun to the music.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #635 of 2,345
Can you compare the e5 with the zxr? Will appreciate the comparison between those two
smily_headphones1.gif

I must admit I've been mostly using the ADG1s on the desktop, and the ANC9 / CK7s on the E5. I'll have to try to do more A-B in the upcoming time and come back with a better answer to that. However I'll do an initial take now as a baseline. As such, I'm listening to one of my favourite albums, Daniel Pemberton's Space Dive on Spotify [Extreme] on the ZXR->CK7 now (e.g. "Problem at 120,000 ft" has a very good mix of quiet and loud elements, with some deep bass parts as well as airy high bits). I am using the desktop Windows application of Spotify, and the Android version on my phone to compare the two.  I'm using the same amount of Crystalizer, with what appears to be a similar EQ profile. The ACM module that came with the ZXR is gathering dust in the closet.

Initially speaking, the ZXR is far stronger out of the box, even on lowest amplification setting, almost dangerously so as I really have to lower the volume significantly when switching from the desktop speakers (Creative Z-5500s) to headphones. 10% volume is plenty loud. From then I have to qualify my comparison notes by saying I'm only a featherweight when it comes to the word of hifi / head fi. I know what I like in terms of my audio however I probably don't have the language to describe it yet. 

I love the audio quality of both devices. There are certainly differences, but they have felt subtle to myself. On a hunch, lacking for better ways of describing it, I can feel the increased power on the ZXR, it seems better defined and controlled. Stronger, more well defined bass. Is it right to say that we have a bigger sound stage on the ZXR because of the extra power?  Also, the SNR is 4db higher on the ZXR; not sure what the expected impact of that is, however there's clearly much less static hiss with no audio playing back on the ZXRs. This hasn't been a concern really on the E5 as I generally don't listen to nothingness. Now that I've noticed the difference it might bother me a little bit though!  

There might be more resolution in the ZXR, however was using Bluetooth initially. I therefore changed to USB (bah at the battery drain...) and not sure if it's in my head now but there might be less of a difference with the USB rather than bluetooth. Yet I'd still say there's slightly more definition in the ZXR. However at the same time the E5 has a very nice sound - is this where the word "colour" is used? - which just lends itself to hours of listening.

Really can't go wrong with having both. Love the fact that the software I use for controlling the E5 on my phone is so similar to the desktop app for the ZXR. The surround experienced in games on the ZXR is just fantastic - e.g. Insurgency on the ADG1s feels downright violent with its hard hitting audio impact, and very natural sounding positional audio - you just _know_ the sound came from that direction, something the Asus soundcard that went before it was never able to do.

[ Random notes: I am using Volstep from sourceforge on the desktop to have more meaningful use of my keyboard's volume controls, e.g. difference between 8% and 9% being night and day. The sound quality of the Z-5500 took an unexpected boost from switching from the onboard Realtek. ]

Can't use the image tag yet, but will see if I can at least post these two urls linking to images.

SB software on S6:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-1syct2I3cpE/VSoqRC7h84I/AAAAAAABaPo/OzXHKDoJqqc/w1381-h777-no/20150412_101208.jpg

E5 with S6:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BeBBBTXN1uM/VSm5NBJ3itI/AAAAAAABaO8/-B9Tvqdck_Y/w1381-h777-no/20150412_100813.jpg

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #636 of 2,345
Hard to decide. I bought iDSD Nano and E5 from amazon. Have been using them for 2 days. My headphones are AKG K7xx and HD650. So far, I can't tell the difference. I also have Schiit Lyr, I'm planning to use either E5 or iDSD Nano as DAC for Lyr. 

Ah, good to know! Makes me a little more confident in my purchase. I'm interested to hear if your opinion changes as you bevome accustomed to them, etc...

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #637 of 2,345
Another thing I'm noticing is there is some static noise in-between songs and or at quite times. Is anyone else experiencing this? I really do like the sound of this though!

I should have mentioned that I strictly use this with my iPhone 5s only. I really like that XMB fake or not it shur brings life/fun to the music.

Sounds like it's EMR transmissions to and from your phone being picked up. If you put your phone in to Aeroplane Mode (Airplane if you're American :)) it should go away, although it's not very practical from first hand experience. It's a somewhat common problem with portable amps and phones, unfortunately. It's usually the inputs acting as antennae, so if you can find some suitable shielding, you will at least reduce the unwanted pickup.

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #638 of 2,345
  I cannot get a stereo recording from the internal microphones. I've tried with my PC/Audacity and it just gives the same waveform on the left and right channels.
What gives? Perhaps I am doing something wrong but It is advertised as "stereo microphone array" yet whatever I record is in mono

You could try turning off CrystalVoice from the Control App, if its enable, to get stereo Mic recording.

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #639 of 2,345

1. There is no direct mode. Period. You can never have solo audio from PC going straight from DAC to amp stage. The E5 has a digital mixer for blutooth, linein, and PC USB, and it will always be inline even if you select "direct mode" in the SBX panel. 

This can be achieved by muting all the monitoring sources: Mic, Bluetooth, Line-In, S/PDIF etc. Since mixing is done in digital domain, muting them will result a pure stream from USB.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #641 of 2,345
Hello I'm a newbie on the forum.

Would the E5 portable dac be a good match for the Grado GR10? I am using these with my iPad retina and iTouch.

Also how does the E5 compare against the Meridian portable dac?

Grateful for any advice.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #642 of 2,345

That was the first thing I tried.

Tried it again and it works now!
Not sure what I did before but as was mentioned Crystal Voice MUST be off to get stereo, which makes sense.
I found an app from Apogee called MetaRecorder which allows Stereo 96khz 24bit recording via lightning cable!! this is getting exciting!  The app is free if you record under 60 seconds. It costs $4.99 to unlock unlimited lengths.
The only issue is that it doesn't allow switching the input from the internal mic (default) to any other inputs (external mic/Line-in/optical-in/what-you-hear)
So I'm still looking around for a free recording app that does high resolution and input switching. (Creative Labs?)

By the way, what are the Microphone Profiles? What is DM-1? Is there a list of descriptions for each of the profiles documented somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back