Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Dec 18, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,172 of 2,345
Originally Posted by Poetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys I just wanted to recommend and just wanted to confirm that if you plan on using the Sound Blaster E5 on the PS4 or Xbox One, you must set your Audio Settings to LPCM or Xbox one via (Stereo Uncompressed). I even spoke to a creative customer service representative for the E5. I even have the Chat Log

So you can use the Sound Blaster E5 via Optical / and Set your Audio Settings Through LPCM on the PS4 . It sounds awesome with the SBX and I really like the virtual surround that creative has given us for gaming. I was even able to adjust the surround sound via the SBX Pro and it sounds awesome. so if you plan to game on the PS4 or Xbox One I definitely recommend this product. Make Sure SBX is enabled on the E5

EDIT: You can also use your Creative Sound Blaster E5 with the Xbox One via Optical. Make sure you set your Audio Settings to Stereo Uncompressed, then enjoy your SBX Surround. Make sure the SBX is enabled on your Sound Blaster E5.

LPCM is Stereo Uncompressed

You were right about Dolby Digital 7.1 really being 5.1 + some upmixing.

However, Creative support is awful and don't really understand their own products. Yes you can use "virtual surround sound" in the sense that the two stereo channels are fed through that DSP but it's not really virtual surround sound because Surround Sound is 5.1 and 7.1 but those channels aren't being output to the E5. It's only Front Left and Front Right.

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #1,173 of 2,345
Just figured I would add in since people are arguing about the surround sound on the e5.
The e5 does not have actual simulated surround sound. It can only recieve a stereo signal regardless of input. It then will try to create a virtual sound effect from this. It is not the same as taking a 7.1 signal and converting it to simulated surround sound on a headset.
While the E5 can sound good with its functions, it isn't perfect due to the inability to actually accept a surround signal.

So here was my work around.

Yes this is adding many steps for sound but gets the job done.

I have a mixamp Pro. Which would be fine if you were using 32ohm speakers, or even something under 50 ohms. I wanted to use my beyerdynamic dt880s. They are 250ohm and the mixamp can power them but not very loudly. I used a y splitter to seperate the headphone jack and mic jack from the mixamp. Then ran the stereo signal to the analog stereo input on the creative E5. This allows the mixamp to take in the surround signal and output true virtual surround sound. And then The e5 just works to amplify this for headphones that need more power. It sound quite awesome like this.
I tried this setup with a Shiit Vali but it produces distortion when used with this amp. I am not sure if it is because of the hybrid tube preamp. Or if the input impedances just don't play nice. But with the E5 it works great.

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #1,174 of 2,345
I just wonder if E5 is really suitable to continuous use with desktop computer? The thing I concerned about is internal battery. I found it constantly charge the battery during listening to music. If I disable charging (by double-clicking the power button) it starts draining battery power even if it stay connected by USB. The question is: why use battery power, while USB is connected?

I don't think my USB port is underpowered... It's able to charge my mobile phone very quick (almost the same time as from wall socket charger).

I'm hoping this isn't a hardware problem and will be solved with new firmware or internal battery will die very soon :)

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #1,176 of 2,345
Creative E5 Power Output - Source
  1. 32Ω - ~1.84V, 105mW (Low Gain)
  2. 300Ω - ~ 1.78V, 109 mW (High Gain)
  3. 600Ω - ~ 5.72V, 54mW (High Gain)
  4. Headphone Output Impedance 2.2Ω

It's not the best info but is something. I'd like to know maximum power output into 32Ω on high gain as there are quite a few low sensitivity, low impedance headphones.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,177 of 2,345
Those figures are a bit suspicious. First, the voltage drop from 600 to 300 Ohms, as the TI6120A2 has plenty of current to not cause that voltage drop.
Also, I am not sure those voltages, if they are peak-to-peak, peak, or RMS.
I think the "gain" on the E5 is simply that, gain. Does not change the output power. IOW, the supply voltage does not get bumped, like is other amps (not many of them actually).
The E5 has enough juice to drive many headphones, though, honestly, I would not pick with troublesome ones, as far as power necessity.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #1,178 of 2,345
Hey there folks,

Wanted to note that in a few days we'll be posting a firmware update with a couple highly requested features rolled in.

1. We'll be adding 7.1 virtual surround support (similar to our G5 unit). This means the device will appear as a 7.1 device to your operating system and will utilize all channels for virtualization versus just the current stereo channels. You can switch between stereo or surround in the UI.

2. We're adding virtual surround for headphones over the line / optical output.

We're looking to have this out prior to Xmas..so keep an eye on the website.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #1,179 of 2,345
  Hey there folks,

Wanted to note that in a few days we'll be posting a firmware update with a couple highly requested features rolled in.

1. We'll be adding 7.1 virtual surround support (similar to our G5 unit). This means the device will appear as a 7.1 device to your operating system and will utilize all channels for virtualization versus just the current stereo channels. You can switch between stereo or surround in the UI.

2. We're adding virtual surround for headphones over the line / optical output.

We're looking to have this out prior to Xmas..so keep an eye on the website.

Whoa! Thank you! That would be a godsend.  Hardware Virtual surround is going to make this trump the real competitor, being the Astro mixamp.

(If the voice FX lets me adjust the pitch, then this E5 will have no equal anywhere... but that's asking a bit too much)

DigitalRonyn, can you also give us a refresher on all the differences between G5 and E5?

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #1,182 of 2,345
  @DigitalRonyn Please upgrade the EQ to 20 bands instead of 10 bands. And a way to stop The E5 charging android phone (or not shut off after charging the phone for only about 30min, the e5 still have like 75% battery left). And smaller volume steps. 

That's definitely a must. We need a way to stop the E5 from charging android phones. 

Btw, will future product support quick charge? 

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #1,183 of 2,345
Panzerfan, the main difference between the E5 and G5 now is primarily the Bluetooth and "Portability" of the device.

The E5 is designed as a portable amp / dac first...so it has the battery included that will let you take it on the road and use it as a portable amp / dac with any smart device / phone, etc.

The G5 is designed as a portable sound card to be used VIA USB. So you don't have the Bluetooth capability or the internal battery.

I'll get a better breakdown of the two posted up here so it's a lot clearer where the differences are for everyone.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #1,185 of 2,345
  Panzerfan, the main difference between the E5 and G5 now is primarily the Bluetooth and "Portability" of the device.

The E5 is designed as a portable amp / dac first...so it has the battery included that will let you take it on the road and use it as a portable amp / dac with any smart device / phone, etc.

The G5 is designed as a portable sound card to be used VIA USB. So you don't have the Bluetooth capability or the internal battery.

I'll get a better breakdown of the two posted up here so it's a lot clearer where the differences are for everyone.

So the G5 is positioned to compete against the Astro Mixamp? One of the major complaints that have been levied against the Astro Mixamp is the fact that it cannot function wirelessly. Independent wireless operation of the E5 has been mentioned by a few console gamers as a significant benefit, even if it lacks virtual surround or Dolby Headphone right now.

Sorry if this comes off as a blunt statement, but this is what comes to my mind.

Edit: Astro does have wireless A50 headset + ampdac, but the 5.4Ghz mixamp isn't sold as a standalone unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back