Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Aug 22, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #1,786 of 2,345
Aug 22, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #1,787 of 2,345
Probably a silly question: why bother buying any other DAC that does not have an equalizer?
Most of other DAC offer at most a bass boost and that's it.
How to fine tune the sound, when using a USB DAC other than Creative ones?

You may choose the option of using 3rd party apps on play store , app store .
Countless Eq apps are available , Neuron music player , power amp is just a few worthy you can try it out .
If you're purely on android mobile , rooting it is another consideration .

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #1,789 of 2,345
You may choose the option of using 3rd party apps on play store , app store .
Countless Eq apps are available , Neuron music player , power amp is just a few worthy you can try it out .
If you're purely on android mobile , rooting it is another consideration .

So, the USB processing does not by-pass the music player equalizer?
So, the audio quality is not affected by the extra processing of the equalizer?

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #1,790 of 2,345
So, the USB processing does not by-pass the music player equalizer?
So, the audio quality is not affected by the extra processing of the equalizer?

You have to experiment it with various options available yourself .
Sounding is a very personal thing , different ears different opinion . Some preferred no EQing with their music and they could live with that , to some Eq is a religion thing , they couldn't live without Eq on their music . It's best you go try it out .

I been experimenting on my E5 with the SBX eq together with the neuron , that's double eq , and a few of my tracks which is hard to eq till perfect in nature , does sound better with double EQ .

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #1,791 of 2,345
You have to experiment it with various options available yourself .
Sounding is a very personal thing , different ears different opinion . Some preferred no EQing with their music and they could live with that , to some Eq is a religion thing , they couldn't live without Eq on their music . It's best you go try it out .

I been experimenting on my E5 with the SBX eq together with the neuron , that's double eq , and a few of my tracks which is hard to eq till perfect in nature , does sound better with double EQ .

What about using the dac to output from it digital out?
Will that be the same quality wise with just using the digital out from laptop?

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #1,792 of 2,345
  Probably a silly question: why bother buying any other DAC that does not have an equalizer?
Most of other DAC offer at most a bass boost and that's it.
How to fine tune the sound, when using a USB DAC other than Creative ones?

I've used an application called EqualizerAPO. It is a system wide equalizer that really good. More info here: https://sourceforge.net/p/equalizerapo/wiki/Documentation/

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,794 of 2,345
Just ordered my E5 today. It is only for portable use, and limited use there as have gone Bluetooth. However, some older quieter albums I just can't get to a satisfying volume level so for those I will use my headphone wired into the E5, but I will Bluetooth from my phone to the E5 which is really what I'm after, the least amount of wires to deal with. Ideally I wouldn't even need this, but I don't think the built in amps in any BT headphone I have tried are quite powerful enough for quieter material (70s, 80s and even some 90s). The E5 I'm sure will be great and I may even find some other uses for it.

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #1,795 of 2,345
  Just ordered my E5 today. It is only for portable use, and limited use there as have gone Bluetooth. However, some older quieter albums I just can't get to a satisfying volume level so for those I will use my headphone wired into the E5, but I will Bluetooth from my phone to the E5 which is really what I'm after, the least amount of wires to deal with. Ideally I wouldn't even need this, but I don't think the built in amps in any BT headphone I have tried are quite powerful enough for quieter material (70s, 80s and even some 90s). The E5 I'm sure will be great and I may even find some other uses for it.

That's my main use for the E5, is iPhone via BT to E5, then from E5 to my HE-400 or DT 880 Pro, neither of which get enough power for some of my music directly from headphone out.  

Using BT allows me to reduce by a small amount the cable tangle, since there is no cable between E5 and iPhone, and also allows me to charge iPhone at same time.

I also like experimenting with the EQ and SBX using the app, regardless of sound source on iPhone - built-in Music app only has EQ presets, for example, and Spotify has a "eh, ok" EQ -- and often, I don't use EQ at all in Sound Blaster app, just the SBX effects like Bass boost.

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,796 of 2,345

Congrats to your latest purchase . Hope the E5 can bring you hours and hours of non-stop Hifi audiophile quality fun :L3000:

This is probably the best DAC / AMP + mobile phone combo for portability , mobility at under 200usd without having a need to stack bundled with cables .

You'll be amazed at what the E5 have to offer , one of the best selling point which comes with the E5 is the SBX central eq , which need you to download at apps store before you can start to gain control of its settings on the E5 device .

You may also wish to cable it on and set it up the initial setting on your PC first before use .
After downloading the required drivers for your PC and have it successfully installed , connect your E5 to the pc will allow the application program to search for the firmware of your E5 , after which you may check the latest firmware available then perform a update for your E5 .

Click on the link below to help you get it started .

http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&prodID=22019&prodName=Sound+Blaster+E5

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #1,797 of 2,345
Thanks to both of you for the welcome and info. I am now considering selling my iFi iDSD Micro as it is getting less use now that my main music room has finally come together. Before I found myself using my kitchen table frequently where the Micro was perfect. I will miss the preamp out as I did like to use it with my active speaker rig. Trying to figure out how I could use the E5 in this role? I don't think it would perform to the Micro's level, but if it could be used in this manner it would be interesting/bonus.

As for the EQ application, is that separate from the Sound Blaster Central app? I just installed central on my G3 now. Really looking forward to using this nice little device.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,798 of 2,345
Thanks to both of you for the welcome and info. I am now considering selling my iFi iDSD Micro as it is getting less use now that my main music room has finally come together. Before I found myself using my kitchen table frequently where the Micro was perfect. I will miss the preamp out as I did like to use it with my active speaker rig. Trying to figure out how I could use the E5 in this role? I don't think it would perform to the Micro's level, but if it could be used in this manner it would be interesting/bonus.

As for the EQ application, is that separate from the Sound Blaster Central app? I just installed central on my G3 now. Really looking forward to using this nice little device.

Yes the EQ is within the Sound blaster central apps , until the E5 arrived at your doorstep , you can start to play around with your ideas about how you're going to maximize and better suits the E5 into your lifestyle .

In any case , like the majority here , you won't be getting too much of a disappointment or none at all from the E5 .

Do share and Update us with your experiences once you get your hands on with it .

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #1,799 of 2,345
Yes the EQ is within the Sound blaster central apps , until the E5 arrived at your doorstep , you can start to play around with your ideas about how you're going to maximize and better suits the E5 into your lifestyle .

In any case , like the majority here , you won't be getting too much of a disappointment or none at all from the E5 .

Do share and Update us with your experiences once you get your hands on with it .

Thank you again, and I'm quite sure I will enjoy the E5, and I will of course be more than happy to post about my experience.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,800 of 2,345
E5 charging!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back