Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Aug 9, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,771 of 2,345

Yes got it now. I like that feature. I'm using it with mojo now to watch a movie. Really improves the experience. Much better than mojo alone due to the eq. Bass is pounding.

It takes a little time to get used to the settings on the E5.  For me it was fairly easy because I didn't have to unlearn all the common tricks to get an amp like the mojo to work.  You have to work to take away some sub bass, and just dial it to the sound you prefer.

Once you have the E5 figured out, you can start going back to adjusting your favorite eq on the source as well. 

And yes, oh my yes, the E5 has amazing bass with IEM's. 

I need your help because I am about to pull the trigger on a Mojo and want to figure out how you are getting comparable performance. I demoed a Mojo for two weeks plugged into my iPhone 6 and listening on my Sennheiser IE800 and found it to be significantly better than my E5. The soundstage was much more three-dimensional and lively. The separation was noticably improved and the treble spike that grates my ears was smoothed out. It was just better at doing what the E5 does in pretty much every respect. As someone who listens to hip hop and house, I thought the bass was much cleaner while still having chest thumping impact.

So what do I need to do to get my E5 to perform at the same level as the Mojo, as it appears many of you have pulled off? I am running it usually via bluetooth to my iphone or with a lightning cable. I have a pico slim amp connected to the line out in the E5 with an iBasso cable, which I've found gives the bass much more weight and clarity and makes vocals more present. I'm looking for the vocals to become crystal clear and enhance instrument separation, which I found significantly better with the Mojo. While the Pico Slim makes the E5 better, the IE 800s still sound muddy and collapsed.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Try this magic trick.
First TURN SBX off and then EQ 1k and above only to your preferred state of sound. Try not to over EQ, make it subtle - let me explain: if you prefer a 3db increase in 16k, only increase by 2db. Do not EQ anything under 1EQ, leaving Base Flat.

Then apply this magic - go to SBX and set the Crystal to 15percent only and try Base setting between 10 and 25 percent only. Leave Surround off.

On the Mixer set Bluetooth to about 70percent, careful when you do this as it might boost your device volume to max, so make sure your headphones are not on your ears. Turn the volume to low/mute on all other Mixer settings assuming you are not using them. I think you use Line In so ofcourse leave that on.

When listening always ensure the Soundblaster App is closed.

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #1,772 of 2,345
Source player plays a very big part too , at least I'm experience different sound signature coming out from both my android .
HTC and Galaxy note . In my ears The galaxy note sound the warmest .
HTC brighten it up beautifully . HTC series line up has one of the best quality DAP onboard in its M series .

Never try with a I device before .

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,773 of 2,345
Hello all on this thread,

Please could i seek advice on the two points below;

(1) I have spent over 6 hours reading this thread and also searching on headfi to get any opnions on if the Soundblaster X7 is a significant audio quality upgrade to the portable Soundblaster E5 for driving Headphones?

(2) Also if anyone can provide an impression on how the Soundblaster X7 compares to the popular Schiit Stacks?

I am torn between buying a Schiit Power Amplifier and using the Creative E5 as a Dac with it, or just Simply upgrading my E5 to the Soundblaster X7 as my all in one headphone system. I am not sure if the X7 really is a good headphone Amp compared to similar priced Headphone Amps as it seems to be part designed to power Speakers and part designed for driving Headphones, which is not the case with other dedicated Headphone Systems- Schiit Stack as an example, hence my reservation.

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #1,775 of 2,345
Hello,
I'm a newbie in here and I am waiting for my Soundblaster E5 to arrived here at my place in Indonesia ( South East Asia ).

I don't know if this is already asked in here, but I am curious if I want to connect my E5 to chord mojo via a toslink cable :wink:
Is it possible to connect E5's Optical Line Out via toslink cable to Mojo's Optical Line In?
What is the outcome for that method?

Here is my idea :
1. Cellphone Xiaomi Redmi Note 2, connected to E5 using bluetooth mode
2. Soundblaster E5 -> Optical Line Out -> toslink cable -> Optical Line In -> Chord Mojo -> 600 ohm headphone = result??

Thank you for your answer.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #1,776 of 2,345
  Hello,
I'm a newbie in here and I am waiting for my Soundblaster E5 to arrived here at my place in Indonesia ( South East Asia ).

I don't know if this is already asked in here, but I am curious if I want to connect my E5 to chord mojo via a toslink cable :wink:
Is it possible to connect E5's Optical Line Out via toslink cable to Mojo's Optical Line In?
What is the outcome for that method?

Here is my idea :
1. Cellphone Xiaomi Redmi Note 2, connected to E5 using bluetooth mode
2. Soundblaster E5 -> Optical Line Out -> toslink cable -> Optical Line In -> Chord Mojo -> 600 ohm headphone = result??

Thank you for your answer.

Idea 1 will definitely work.
As for your 2nd idea, what's your source ? BTW, not sure of your rationale since Chord Mojo like E5 is a DAC/AMP.

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #1,777 of 2,345
Idea 1 will definitely work.

As for your 2nd idea, what's your source ? BTW, not sure of your rationale since Chord Mojo like E5 is a DAC/AMP.

Wow thank you for your response :wink:
I think I've made a small understanding on my earlier post :wink:

On my previous "ideas", actually it was a step-by-step method...
First I connect my smartphone to E5 via bluetooth and then Mojo will amplify again from E5's optical line out into Mojo's optical line in using a toslink cable :wink:

Would that be possible?

Aug 15, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #1,778 of 2,345
Wow thank you for your response :wink:
I think I've made a small understanding on my earlier post :wink:

On my previous "ideas", actually it was a step-by-step method...
First I connect my smartphone to E5 via bluetooth and then Mojo will amplify again from E5's optical line out into Mojo's optical line in using a toslink cable :wink:

Would that be possible?

Why not ? That would be a yes . Your smart device as a source Bluetooth to E5 which E5 serve as a dap , then cable out from E5 to mojo , mojo acting now as an amp , lastly connect your beloved iem in one of the mojo headphones Jack . And bingo there u go .

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,779 of 2,345
How is th e5 sound quality wise. I thought about pairing it with AKG K712 pro's. Is it comparable to something like o2 combo or the dacmagic xs? Like in a way of using it for music listening, and not valuing in any gaming features, just pure sound quality.

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #1,780 of 2,345
How is th e5 sound quality wise. I thought about pairing it with AKG K712 pro's. Is it comparable to something like o2 combo or the dacmagic xs? Like in a way of using it for music listening, and not valuing in any gaming features, just pure sound quality.

This thing never fails to surprise me whichever songs I threw at it with my ASG 2.5.
And I'm simply enjoying it more and more with newly discovered song as days go by .

The best thing is i could simply just EQ it and fine tuning further till I'm satisfied through the SBX central , and save multiply profile up , and I had my very own custom made signature .

Never for once used it for gaming . I'm enjoying and getting TOTL hifi quality on my ASG 2.5 amping out from the E5 .

Never regret investing 200+ on this amazing creative DAC / AMP. Money well spent .

If you're not into pure audiophile standards , but purely in search for Hifi standards playing out of IEM , look no further , this is the one .

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #1,781 of 2,345
This thing never fails to surprise me whichever songs I threw at it with my ASG 2.5.
And I'm simply enjoying it more and more with newly discovered song as days go by .

The best thing is i could simply just EQ it and fine tuning further till I'm satisfied through the SBX central , and save multiply profile up , and I had my very own custom made signature .

Never for once used it for gaming . I'm enjoying and getting TOTL hifi quality on my ASG 2.5 amping out from the E5 .

Never regret investing 200+ on this amazing creative DAC / AMP. Money well spent .

If you're not into pure audiophile standards , but purely in search for Hifi standards playing out of IEM , look no further , this is the one .

Yea, I've not used to audiophile standards. At the moment running my DT770's through Xonar D1. Picks up interference from inside the pc, not good. Just looking for an external dac amp and going to buy open back headphones, K712 seems like a great pair of those. Thanks dude, pretty much convinced me to get the e5.

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #1,783 of 2,345
Just one more question. How's the quality of the e5? On Amazon almost every other review was one star with comment that the e5 stopped working after quite a short amount of time.

Amazon ? Amazing comments there for the E5 , but let me tell you , this thread was started years ago and with 119 pages on it , I haven't saw any harshly made negative comments on the E5 over here @ Head fi .

Mine was bought on July 5 , so I'm not the best one to answer this question , I don't use cable and I'm 100% on Bluetooth , using it daily on the move for 4-6 hours approximately .

Take extra precautions and be gentle while using that mini usb charging port , cos plugging / unplugging it harshly might cause it to be loose over time , so be really gentle while plugging unplugging the mini usb charging port . and try not to use the E5 while charging . You might spoiled the rechargeable batteries .

Just take note on the 2 points above , other than that music wise , it's the best compared with those with similar price range.
Consider sounding , spec , with NFC , Bluetooth capability , aptx enabled , SBX central apps for Android / Apple , Nothing else in that price range come closer .

Just like any other things , buy with confidence , and use it in a correct manner without abusing it , I say it would be fine and could last you for a couple of years .

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #1,784 of 2,345
Alright, thanks man. I always handle my electronics with caution. Just a question about charging. Can I use it purely as a desktop amp plugged in at all times? Sure the battery might die but doesn't matter as I'm not sure if I'm going to use it as portably amp at all.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #1,785 of 2,345
Probably a silly question: why bother buying any other DAC that does not have an equalizer?
Most of other DAC offer at most a bass boost and that's it.
How to fine tune the sound, when using a USB DAC other than Creative ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back