Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Feb 3, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #556 of 645

Can you route the SBX-surround from your onboard implementiation to optical-out?
Then you could go optical-in to the G5 for original SBX.

Yes! I tried it and it works! I just have to enable the "play stereo mix to digital output" in the SBX Pro Studio Advanced Features Tab and set the onboard Sound Core3D as the default playback device in windows so it handles the multi-channel virtual surround processing. After that I set the G5 in stereo mode with all DSP effects off so it just acts as a outboard DAC/AMP.

Thanks for the tip. Now I can have the best of both worlds. Good sound quality and one of the best virtual surround implementations in the market! :)

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #557 of 645
Yes! I tried it and it works! I just have to enable the "play stereo mix to digital output" in the SBX Pro Studio Advanced Features Tab and set the onboard Sound Core3D as the default playback device in windows so it handles the multi-channel virtual surround processing. After that I set the G5 in stereo mode with all DSP effects off so it just acts as a outboard DAC/AMP.

Thanks for the tip. Now I can have the best of both worlds. Good sound quality and one of the best virtual surround implementations in the market! :)

Wow, didn't know you could do that. My friend has a gigabyte z170 gaming 7 motherboard and comes with SoundCore3D and has a G5 as well. Going to let him know about this. You learn something new everyday huh? Lol

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #558 of 645
Has anyone tested the sound blasterx G1 yet?
If you can trust the reviews on the internet it has similar sound quality with even better soundstage.
Hard to believe looking at the size.

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #559 of 645
If anyone is looking for a G5 please met me know. Mine has been in the box for well over 6 or 7 months. I'm willing to let it go for a very reasonable price.

I also might consider a trade for a mix amp.

PM me to discuss.

Thanks

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #560 of 645
So I am looking for an affordable solution on using my Fidelio X2`s and (possible a DT770 PRO in the future) with my PS4 and maybe combining an external mic for clear audio chat. I came across the G5 today and I find it quite interesting indeed. I play a lot of Battlefield 1 and the sound in this game is beyond heavenly intense!  I play quite often with friends so connecting a mic is a must. I take it this works like as charm by connecting the G5 via. optical and USB, just like any other amp. like the Astro MixAmp?

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #561 of 645
G5 only requires an USB connection to the PS4. It's very easy and convenient. 

Mixamp gives you Dolby Headphone Room 2 though if you're into that stuff. The G5 gives you weirdosurround from 2.0 if you enable SBX.. It's better to turn it off and embrace DEDICATED HARDPANNING STEREO GAMING if you plan on using it. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #562 of 645
Oh, less wires is always convenient indeed :) HQ stereo always beats fake 2.0 surround in my ears, I think! So the Astro MixAmp is the only real alternative for convenient headphone/external mic hook-up to the PS4? If something ACTUALLY managed to produce great virtual 5.1 I want to try that. 

I am just starting to look into this lately so I am quite out in the open  here.

And then there is the X7..hefty pricetag though! But that unit looks like a real powerhouse 
darthsmile.gif

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #563 of 645
Mixamp's sound quality pales in comparison to the G5 but its VST recovers a lot of ground.

You can get the X7 via various deals from time to time. If you're into that then that's the current best overall (albeit pricey) solution, giving you the best SQ and an excellent VST.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #565 of 645
Has anyone used the G5 with the Fidelio X2 and a Boom Pro mic? I'm looking into getting this setup for gaming on a PC and wanted to know if it would work. Any better options?

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #567 of 645
Hey Guys,

Need a bit of help using the G5 with my PS4 (recent purchase).

I'm using the G5 as a common "interface" between my Mac and my PS4 so I don't have to switch cables around. Plugged it into the Mac via USB (usb to micro usb port), then plugged the optical cable into the PS4.

The problem is that my PS4 doesn't recognise the device with the optical cable only. Once I select Digital out (optical) and deselect all the available options I do get sound through the G5 but the TV output still remains and sound is transferred to both my TV and my earpiece. Going into devices -» audio the only available choice is the TV. 

Can anyone help in what you need to do to make the G5 work as a stand-alone audio device for PS4? Requires a separate USB connection as well?

Regards,
Nevl

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #568 of 645
byGenn,
Yes! The boompro works with the G5, the game sound output and mic input will sound very good! The G5 will do 7.1 surround on PC too.

Nevl001,
if I was you, I would simply dial down my tv volume to zero. Problem solved!

• Keep in mind the PS4 has sound settings in two places... Audio and video settings, and Sound & Devices.
• Also, the only reason you might like to connect the G5 to the PS4 with USB would be if you wanted to connect a mic to the PS4

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #570 of 645
I've come to appreciate the G5. It really does sound great. And it has plenty of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back