Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Jun 12, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #631 of 645
I can't guarantee that you'll like it better, but...

the DAC inside G5 is a bit below the one in Burson Play

Cirrus Logic CS4398 inside G5

Also, the AMP chip inside the Klipsch is exactly the same as the one in G5, so it may not feel like a big upgrade - Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 . In fact, the Cirus Logic DAC in G5, depending on how well the klipsch one is implemented, may be above the klipsch one

Burson Play uses ESS9018 which is above the Cirus Logic in G5, at least in virtually every implementation I have seen, in terms of details, clarity and overall soundstage / separation / resolution.

The version inside klipsch is a mini version of the same ESS DAC.

Now, about the OP-AMPS, theoretically, the ones in G5 and Klipsch are better than the ones in Burson, but, you can upgrade the ones in burson, and the full class A power deliver included with Burson Play may actually make up for it.

I heard Burson Play and many DAC/AMPs in the entry-level area, Burson Play, if you have HD800, should do you wonders.

If I may I ask... In that same kind of detail, how does the combination of khadas tone board and JDS Atom amp compare technically to g5 and burson play? Do you know what the chips used in them are and are they better?

edit: apparently the chip in khadas is ESS ES9038Q2M so better than the CS4398 in g5, I reckon.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #632 of 645
If I may I ask... In that same kind of detail, how does the combination of khadas tone board and JDS Atom amp compare technically to g5 and burson play? Do you know what the chips used in them are and are they better?

edit: apparently the chip in khadas is ESS ES9038Q2M so better than the CS4398 in g5, I reckon.

Yes, ESS 9038QM is above the CS4398, but you also need to take into account that the QM version of that dac is not as good as the full version :)

As for JDS Atom, I am waiting on it to arrive to me via postage, but I think that one will also be impressive :)

Jun 17, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #633 of 645
I don't know whether I've understood this correctly or not, but I've heard that I'm supposed to keep the windows volume between 90% and 100% and then adjust the volume with an amplifier to match my preference so as not to lose bitrate by lowering the volume in Windows.

Now. When I turn the volume down using the pot on the sound blaster x g5, it turns the down volume on Windows! And my headphones are killing my ears by too high volume if the windows volume is more than like 25%

So... this lowers the sound quality?

And... this means the sound blaster amplifies the sound by a fixed amount and then after that the only way to lower the volume is to lower the software bitrate of the sound output from Windows? (using the pot)

Or am I confused here somehow?

Jun 18, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #634 of 645
I don't know whether I've understood this correctly or not, but I've heard that I'm supposed to keep the windows volume between 90% and 100% and then adjust the volume with an amplifier to match my preference so as not to lose bitrate by lowering the volume in Windows.

Now. When I turn the volume down using the pot on the sound blaster x g5, it turns the down volume on Windows! And my headphones are killing my ears by too high volume if the windows volume is more than like 25%

So... this lowers the sound quality?

And... this means the sound blaster amplifies the sound by a fixed amount and then after that the only way to lower the volume is to lower the software bitrate of the sound output from Windows? (using the pot)

Or am I confused here somehow?

This means that it has a fixed output and I'd assume it changes the volume from Windows' internal volume mixer. Which is not exactly ideal.

Jun 19, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #635 of 645
I'm going for the Khadas/Atom combination but I think I need to keep the G5 for those situations where I need to use a headset with microphone. So yea... it still has a function even if it has its downsides!

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #636 of 645
Hi,

Looking at some newer desktop DAC for my laptop PC, mainly into playing music thru speaker. NOT into headphone or Gaming.
Currently i'm using Creative Digital Music Premium HD USB.
Considering to upgrade either Creative Sound Blaster G5 or Fiio K5 Pro.

My concern would be is the G5 a significant upgrade over my Creative Digital Music Premium HD? Or a K5 Pro is a better choice. K5 Pro is kinda new i believe and not much review though.
Is really an audiophile product like Fiio better than Creative lets say Creative G5 vs Fiio K3 for DAC alone?

Regards,
Ed

Mar 11, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #637 of 645
So i've been wondering why this gives such a terrible hissing noise on my IEM's, especialy the 64 audio ADEL kickstarter sample (super rare, can't seem to find it anywhere. It's the 3D printed one without a detachable, if anyone knows what name these are sold/bought under i'd love to know!) i have. Now, at first i thought it was because iem's are in my ears and thus picking up noise easier..that's stupid i know that now. But I do wonder why it is. I sent an unit to return a year ago and finaly got a new unit back last week, and it has the same problem. Now it turns out that all devices i hear it on, are under the 35 ohm minimum impedance of the low gain setting creative notes on their website. Could this be it? If so, is there a cheap way to take care of this problem? I'd like to use my new in ears on it without hiss!

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #638 of 645
So i've been wondering why this gives such a terrible hissing noise on my IEM's, especialy the 64 audio ADEL kickstarter sample (super rare, can't seem to find it anywhere. It's the 3D printed one without a detachable, if anyone knows what name these are sold/bought under i'd love to know!) i have. Now, at first i thought it was because iem's are in my ears and thus picking up noise easier..that's stupid i know that now. But I do wonder why it is. I sent an unit to return a year ago and finaly got a new unit back last week, and it has the same problem. Now it turns out that all devices i hear it on, are under the 35 ohm minimum impedance of the low gain setting creative notes on their website. Could this be it? If so, is there a cheap way to take care of this problem? I'd like to use my new in ears on it without hiss!
That doesn't sound like something that could be fixed easily. Do you have any devices over 35 ohms that you could test with (just to make sure that's the actual reason)?

Mar 12, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #639 of 645
That doesn't sound like something that could be fixed easily. Do you have any devices over 35 ohms that you could test with (just to make sure that's the actual reason)?
Not really :frowning2: My NAD HP50 is my highest impedance. Worth noting that on my fidelio x2's i dont hear it at all though, but not sure if thats just because of the open design.
It's also worth noting that on the hp50 i hear it so slightly, it /could/ be placebo. If i'm not trying real hard to hear it, i dont think i will hear it. But with the in ears its definitely there. I should be able to add one of those impedance converter plugs and have it be fine though, i understood from looking online at similar problems (iems being too sensitive for a dac/amp or amp).
No chance someone else could try them with sensitive gear?

Mar 13, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #640 of 645

Oh, I can answer that.
Yes, your IEMs have a really low impedance, and high sensitivity. Both of those factors make them more sensitive to hiss in circuits. With amplifiers like the G5/G6, which have higher gain so they can power fullsized headphones (HD 650 for example, at 300 Ω impedance), you’re going to hear the hiss more. Generally, higher gain amps have a higher noise threshold that will sound very quiet/silent with headphones with a lot of impedance to dampen noise, with a few exceptions where they were just designed with a super quiet amp.

You might be able to quiet the hiss with an impedance adapter (like a short cable with a resistor in it). Sometimes that works as a cheap fix, sometimes it changes the frequency response a bit... worth trying!

Edit: If you’re offering to test out your ADEL 64 Audio IEMS on my G5, I’d be absolutely happy to! Would treat them with kid gloves!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #641 of 645
Oh, I can answer that.
Yes, your IEMs have a really low impedance, and high sensitivity. Both of those factors make them more sensitive to hiss in circuits. With amplifiers like the G5/G6, which have higher gain so they can power fullsized headphones (HD 650 for example, at 300 Ω impedance), you’re going to hear the hiss more. Generally, higher gain amps have a higher noise threshold that will sound very quiet/silent with headphones with a lot of impedance to dampen noise, with a few exceptions where they were just designed with a super quiet amp.

You might be able to quiet the hiss with an impedance adapter (like a short cable with a resistor in it). Sometimes that works as a cheap fix, sometimes it changes the frequency response a bit... worth trying!

Edit: If you’re offering to test out your ADEL 64 Audio IEMS on my G5, I’d be absolutely happy to! Would treat them with kid gloves!
I see..and this is also the case with more audiophile specific and dedicated amps? Just a part of using an iem with an amp? Ill get a resistor jack or cable though yeah

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #642 of 645
I see..and this is also the case with more audiophile specific and dedicated amps? Just a part of using an iem with an amp? Ill get a resistor jack or cable though yeah

Many amp reviewers specify how well an amp is suited to IEMs. I have two big amps that were designed with fullsized around ear headphones first in mind, yet they have a low enough noise floor to be used with IEMs. The caveat to that is that you have to turn the volume almost all the way down, and there is only a little range of settings that aren’t too loud.

However, there are also amplifiers designed with IEMs first in mind, or have a very low gain setting to use with IEMs.

An impedance adapter cable is probably the easiest and cheapest option. Here’s an adapter that came with my Bluewave GET (a Bluetooth receiver/DAC/amp): image.jpg

Apr 1, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #643 of 645
Many amp reviewers specify how well an amp is suited to IEMs. I have two big amps that were designed with fullsized around ear headphones first in mind, yet they have a low enough noise floor to be used with IEMs. The caveat to that is that you have to turn the volume almost all the way down, and there is only a little range of settings that aren’t too loud.

However, there are also amplifiers designed with IEMs first in mind, or have a very low gain setting to use with IEMs.

An impedance adapter cable is probably the easiest and cheapest option. Here’s an adapter that came with my Bluewave GET (a Bluetooth receiver/DAC/amp):
Yeah i ordered an impedance adapter online. I hope it works. Apparently since my iems are hybrid it can cause changes to the sig.

Apr 2, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #644 of 645
Yeah i ordered an impedance adapter online. I hope it works. Apparently since my iems are hybrid it can cause changes to the sig.

The crossovers might make the IEM more sensitive and the different types of drivers may have different impedences. If you’re trying to save money, there are going to be some drawbacks. With that said though, if you ever do get a dedicated IEM amp, you can connect it to the G6’s line-output on the back and still get Surround/binaural processing.

If you don’t care about Surround processing, then you could skip the G6 altogether. 64 Audio makes some really high quality products, even back before they took the 1964 Audio name. A $500 or better DAC/Amp wouldn’t be an overkill pairing with your IEM.

Apr 2, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #645 of 645
The crossovers might make the IEM more sensitive and the different types of drivers may have different impedences. If you’re trying to save money, there are going to be some drawbacks. With that said though, if you ever do get a dedicated IEM amp, you can connect it to the G6’s line-output on the back and still get Surround/binaural processing.

If you don’t care about Surround processing, then you could skip the G6 altogether. 64 Audio makes some really high quality products, even back before they took the 1964 Audio name. A $500 or better DAC/Amp wouldn’t be an overkill pairing with your IEM.
Right now 500 seems a little much to spend for a dac/amp to go with my lz a6 mini. But once i have a job thats more achievable haha. I hope the impedance adapter does the trick tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back