Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Jan 15, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #541 of 645
No

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #542 of 645
Like so many others, mine bit the dust the other day. Was at my buddies house hooking up his new PS4 Pro. He didn't have anything for sound so I let him use my G5. We connected everything and fired up the Pro. It worked and had sound and mic. Loaded up BF1 and started a round. About 1 min into the round the G5 went dark. Tried other USBs and my laptop and nothing. Did a reset and now we have lights and mic, but no sound output.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #543 of 645
Like so many others, mine bit the dust the other day. Was at my buddies house hooking up his new PS4 Pro. He didn't have anything for sound so I let him use my G5. We connected everything and fired up the Pro. It worked and had sound and mic. Loaded up BF1 and started a round. About 1 min into the round the G5 went dark. Tried other USBs and my laptop and nothing. Did a reset and now we have lights and mic, but no sound output.

At least you don't have to try to sell it anymore? :grinning:

That's sucks though, mine has been in the box now for months. Almost makes wanna take it out and see if it still works.

Really is a stinker of a product. Could have been amazing had the SBX not been gimped.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #544 of 645

That's sucks though, mine has been in the box now for months. Almost makes wanna take it out and see if it still works.

Really is a stinker of a product. Could have been amazing had the SBX not been gimped.

Yes. If it was not gimped it would've been great!! I got a RMA from Creative, gonna send it in for repair/replacement.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #545 of 645

I got mine out Last night for microphone ADC duties while Twitch streaming... I was reminded how great the foundations of this product are. The ADC is great, the DAC is decent, the amp is a significant upgrade over the old Recon3D USB (the Texas Instruments chip used was also used in several desktop amps, I disagree with Fegefeuer because I Do believe it will drive the HD650 decently like the Magni does decently, though there are better amps out there for more money), setup with the PS4 has worked reliably for me each time I've used it, I like how the LED brightness indicates volume before I blow my ears off... but frustrated that we only get full-features while connected to PC, because there is no Dolby Digital Decoding. The Recon3D had decoding, so should the G5. If it was all down to licensing fees, I would pay $20 in-app purchase, right now, to get the firmware for decoding Dolby, but I still think it should have come with it, or they should have dropped all the optical ports in favor of HDMI or MHL ports so that they could get LPCM without paying royalties to anyone.

Yes. If it was not gimped it would've been great!! I got a RMA from Creative, gonna send it in for repair/replacement.

Good luck!:thumbsup_tone2:
Had a good experience with getting an RMA on an E1, but they seem to be evading even a paid Out Of Warranty option to fix my USB Host port of my X7.

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #546 of 645
I got mine out Last night for microphone ADC duties while Twitch streaming... I was reminded how great the foundations of this product are. The ADC is great, the DAC is decent, the amp is a significant upgrade over the old Recon3D USB (the Texas Instruments chip used was also used in several desktop amps, I disagree with Fegefeuer because I Do believe it will drive the HD650 decently like the Magni does decently, though there are better amps out there for more money), setup with the PS4 has worked reliably for me each time I've used it, I like how the LED brightness indicates volume before I blow my ears off... but frustrated that we only get full-features while connected to PC, because there is no Dolby Digital Decoding. The Recon3D had decoding, so should the G5. If it was all down to licensing fees, I would pay $20 in-app purchase, right now, to get the firmware for decoding Dolby, but I still think it should have come with it, or they should have dropped all the optical ports in favor of HDMI or MHL ports so that they could get LPCM without paying royalties to anyone.
Good luck!:thumbsup_tone2:

Thanks for your more in-depth comments. Much appreciated.
smile.gif

I already ordered the G5 to test with the HD650 to hear the combination for myself and form my own opinion. All I'm really after is having a clean, distortion and noise-free sound with decent volume to the HD650. I also have an HRT microStreamer for comparison as a baseline.

My Gigabyte Z97 G1 Sniper motherboard has onboard Creative Sound Core3D with SBX Pro Studio 5.1 Virtual Surround so I will also be comparing that with the G5's 7.1 Virtual Surround. I had originally planned for the G5 as an upgrade my onboard sound since it picks up interference from my graphics card in the form of buzzing noises that intensify as the frame rate increases. I thought about getting an SB-Z discrete soundcard but that is out of the question since I do not have any available PCIE slots to spare. The GSX 1000 on the other hand is well beyond my what I'm willing to pay for an external sound card.

Jan 31, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #548 of 645
Received my replacement unit from Creative today. Looks factory sealed new. Haven't tested it yet, though.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #551 of 645
The clarity of the G5 is awesome! I just wish it had the sense of openness and space that Dolby provides.

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #552 of 645
I just got my G5 a few days ago since the parcel got stuck with our local customs and postal agencies.

I have to say, for music listening in 2.0, direct mode and all DSP off, there's definitely a noticeable smoothing of the treble and emphasis in bass for a more full-bodied sound while maintaining good dynamics and detail. Although I think it's a bit colored compared to my O2 & microStreamer combo, the G5 has perfect synergy with my Philips SHP9500S cans that have grainy treble and slightly weak bass. It's surprisingly very musical and non-fatiguing particularly with harsh recordings. Turning on direct mode seems to make transients more distinct and adds a bit more bass.

As for the virtual surround feature, I have only tested the G5 with BF1 multiplayer and as others have mentioned already, the virtual surround processing is indeed inferior to Creative's SBX Pro Studio 5.1 Virtual Surround. With the latter, I'm able to more accurately discern the position of audio sources and it doesn't impart an unnatural metallic reverb like BXAE virtual surround does. Setting BXAE in 5.1 seems to improve sound localization compared to 7.1 mode but it's still not as good as SBX.

I noticed that there is an option in the advanced settings to enable "Headphone Surround for Line/Optical Out". Does this mean that the G5's virtual surround now work with consoles?

For now, I'm keeping the G5 as my main DAC/AMP for music duties because I really enjoy its sound signature. As for gaming, I'm sticking with my Creative Sound Core3D onboard audio for SBX Pro Studio 5.1 Surround despite the buzzing noise caused by interference from the graphics card.

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #553 of 645
  I just got my G5 a few days ago since the parcel got stuck with our local customs and postal agencies.

I have to say, for music listening in 2.0, direct mode and all DSP off, there's definitely a noticeable smoothing of the treble and emphasis in bass for a more full-bodied sound while maintaining good dynamics and detail. Although I think it's a bit colored compared to my O2 & microStreamer combo, the G5 has perfect synergy with my Philips SHP9500S cans that have grainy treble and slightly weak bass. It's surprisingly very musical and non-fatiguing particularly with harsh recordings. Turning on direct mode seems to make transients more distinct and adds a bit more bass.

As for the virtual surround feature, I have only tested the G5 with BF1 multiplayer and as others have mentioned already, the virtual surround processing is indeed inferior to Creative's SBX Pro Studio 5.1 Virtual Surround. With the latter, I'm able to more accurately discern the position of audio sources and it doesn't impart an unnatural metallic reverb like BXAE virtual surround does. Setting BXAE in 5.1 seems to improve sound localization compared to 7.1 mode but it's still not as good as SBX.

I noticed that there is an option in the advanced settings to enable "Headphone Surround for Line/Optical Out". Does this mean that the G5's virtual surround now work with consoles?

For now, I'm keeping the G5 as my main DAC/AMP for music duties because I really enjoy its sound signature. As for gaming, I'm sticking with my Creative Sound Core3D onboard audio for SBX Pro Studio 5.1 Surround despite the buzzing noise caused by interference from the graphics card.

Can you route the SBX-surround from your onboard implementiation to optical-out?
Then you could go optical-in to the G5 for original SBX.

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #554 of 645
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Mixamp but I don't like it. Now I have one question before I try the G5.
Is it possible to use optical (game sound) and usb (chat sound) simultaneously with the PS4 just like the Mixamp?

Thanks in advance! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back