Creative Aurvana Live! VS Stanton DJ Pro 2000
Jul 30, 2010 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jotuns

New Head-Fier
Hello,

For the last few days I've been searching for new headphones to replace the current one I have which is the Stanton DJ Pro 2000S. This is because this one is totally falling apart and being hold together with tape at the moment.

I've been doing some reading on these forums and read some reviews about a few headphones. Seeing as I can't spend to much money, I'm willing to spend +- €50 - €100.

There are some conditions to the headphones. First I would prefer it to be closed as I don't want other to hear what I'm listening to and there can be lots of noise here. Second they must be pretty comfortable as I will be using them allot, and of course the sound must be good.

I will be using the headphones for on the PC to listen music, play movies and games with. However I listen to allot of music so the sound should be very close to what I'm used to with the Stanton DJ Pro 2000S. The music I mostly listen to is (Melodic Death) Metal.

After some research I've seen some great reviews from two headphones that seem to meet my requirements (Don't know how the sound compares though). The Creative Aurvana Live! costs around €50 here and seems like a good deal seeing the reviews. However I've seen some other reviews seeing it ain't that great. The Sennheiser HD 428 costs about the same here. I've found one review where these two got compared and the Sennheiser came out on top sound wise however I've also found other reviews praising the CAT! and seeing it getting a better score overall.

Is there anything you guys can tell me about these two headphones in particular and how any of these compare to my current headphone? Or would you suggest a other headphone for my needs? Also the CAT! seems to have the cable coming from both cups. Is this annoying or hardly noticeable?

Thanks in advance,

Jotun

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 11
The HD 428 doesn't isolate an awful lot, so you'll find yourself cranking the volume quite high if you're in a noisy environment. I don't know how well the CAL! seals though, so you should ask one of the many owners here for that. :wink:

Sound-wise, the HD 428 are on the dry analytical side. I prefer that sound signature, though a lot of people prefer more bass, so keep that in mind as well.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the reply,

I am in a pretty noisy environment. I share the attic with my brother who's a DJ, so good isolation would be a big plus. I listen mostly to Metal so I'm not really sure which one would be better for that.

What I would really like to know is how well they compare to the ones I have now. Seeing as I'm pretty happy about the Stanton DJ Pro 2000 I could just buy those again, however if there is a chance I can get an improvement with the new headphones, I would like to know. Also the Stanton DJ Pro can't go that loud (anymore?)..If my brother is making a bunch of noise I'll have to turn it up to max and even then I can't watch my series like normal.

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #8 of 11
The CAL, as much as I love it does NOT isolate well. It doesn't really leak out, but lets a lot of sound in like open headphones, really. Not worth using it in noisy enviroments.

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks, so that won't be good for me than. I think I'll just purchase the Stanton DJ Pro 2000 again, unless you or anybody got any good recommendations? They need to have good sound and isolate well.

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 11
The Audio Technica M50 is very good at isolation AND leakage. Tto be honest, is quite possibly one of the very best in their price range. Almost everyone here likes or adores the M50. I loved them, but sold them to a roomie due to wanting to try something else. I would've been fine keeping them as my main closed headphone. They're that good, IMHO. They can be found for $90 online, just make sure to get them from an authroized dealer.

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
The Audio Technica M50 is very good at isolation AND leakage. Tto be honest, is quite possibly one of the very best in their price range. Almost everyone here likes or adores the M50. I loved them, but sold them to a roomie due to wanting to try something else. I would've been fine keeping them as my main closed headphone. They're that good, IMHO. They can be found for $90 online, just make sure to get them from an authroized dealer.

Thanks, I've read about those here on these forums and read some good stuff indeed. I live in the netherlands and the prices I've seen were pretty high compared to the DJ Pro 2000 and the CAT! so I didn't really look further into it. I'll see if I can find a good deal somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back