Creative Aurvana Live! Review and Mods
Sep 30, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #226 of 258
I haven't found anything under $100 that I like more than the CAL!  My last attempt was with the SHP9500, which is a very nice open back headphone with excellent clarity for the price, but the lack of bass kept it from surpassing the CAL! in my estimation.  Of course that's comparing open and closed back headphones, which is not always a great idea, but in terms of enjoying the sound, I still preferred the CAL!

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #227 of 258
If I want comparable sound quality, I need to grab my D2000, HD600 or LCD-2. And CAL! doesn't sound terrible even in this company. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #228 of 258
By the way, I tried the regular HM-5 pleathor pads on my CAL! for about a day and a half before I just had to take them off.  They seem to suck all the life out of the sound, placing your ears that much farther out from the drivers.

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #231 of 258
Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to turn broken CAL V1's back into headphones? I've got TWO.
Both broke between the headband and the caliper, I've had a hard time recommending these to people due to fragility. 

May 2, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #232 of 258
CAL modded.png
CAL.png
Hi!

update - my CAL! is heavily modded now, turned into not-so bassy, but quite balanced phones.

there's mineral wad in each cup,
hole in magnet is damped by foam circle, not paper,
1 of 2 paper holes on the outer ring is blocked by piece of paper masking tape,
on the front side, i added ring of felt around driver's mesh
and, finally, they have velour earpads.

Measurement of Modded /upper one/ and original /lower one/ in this post as PNG pictures.

Moonwalker

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #233 of 258
Hi!

update - my CAL! is heavily modded now, turned into not-so bassy, but quite balanced phones.

there's mineral wad in each cup,
hole in magnet is damped by foam circle, not paper,
1 of 2 paper holes on the outer ring is blocked by piece of paper masking tape,
on the front side, i added ring of felt around driver's mesh
and, finally, they have velour earpads.

Measurement of Modded /upper one/ and original /lower one/ in this post as PNG pictures.

Moonwalker
What's the difference between the two pics?

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #234 of 258
Earlier this year I gave my dad some HD598s. He tried them out, but I don't think he used them once after that. He just doesn't listen to that much music.

I later bought myself a pair of CAL!s as inexpensive closed headphones to use with my tv. I had them shipped to my parents' house while I was visiting.

I'm not getting them back. Not since they tried them. That's how good they sound and how immediately enjoyable the sound signature is.

These are a deal, guys. Sure, they're fuzzy on some technicalities, somewhat congested in the mids, etc. but they have a nice organic sound and a slight bass boost that splits the difference between hifi and Beats. They're less veiled than the HD650s let alone the HD598s (on an inexpensive chain). Really good stuff here. Price/performance-wise, they're really excellent, and don't need much to sound good.

Buy these and be content. Or spend way too much more for diminishing returns.

Really good stuff here. These and the DT1350s really impress me, but unlike the DT1350s, these don't hurt my hears or my wallet. No, they aren't my favorites, but for what I spent I think they offer the best value.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #235 of 258
Earlier this year I gave my dad some HD598s. He tried them out, but I don't think he used them once after that. He just doesn't listen to that much music.

I later bought myself a pair of CAL!s as inexpensive closed headphones to use with my tv. I had them shipped to my parents' house while I was visiting.

I'm not getting them back. Not since they tried them. That's how good they sound and how immediately enjoyable the sound signature is.

These are a deal, guys. Sure, they're fuzzy on some technicalities, somewhat congested in the mids, etc. but they have a nice organic sound and a slight bass boost that splits the difference between hifi and Beats. They're less veiled than the HD650s let alone the HD598s (on an inexpensive chain). Really good stuff here. Price/performance-wise, they're really excellent, and don't need much to sound good.

Buy these and be content. Or spend way too much more for diminishing returns.

Really good stuff here. These and the DT1350s really impress me, but unlike the DT1350s, these don't hurt my hears or my wallet. No, they aren't my favorites, but for what I spent I think they offer the best value.
I've also been thinking about buying the CAL again after they broke on me 2 years ago. They had such a natural, clear and smooth sound, that no other headphone has at that price range.

They just let you really enjoy the music. But I'm not sure how I'll like them now after being spoiled by way more expensive headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #237 of 258
I don't think they compare well side-by-side with more expensive headphones, but they still sound really good!

Since the backs pop off so easily (the 2 screws), it would just be easier to leave it open. And to think an open Foster biodyna for 50US. Without that cheap plastic back-housing vibrating (which ofc the mods seem to take care of), its quite balanced and good. The sound doesn't change much when open, except the bonus is no closed back problems. With the Auteur/ HP-3 out, i guess there are more options to the open back Live :p but that is quite more of an investment :D . Although both are biocellulose, I think only the HP-3 biocellulose is microbial derived. @zach915m once mentioned the Eikon drivers are polyurethane and biocellulose hybrid, though IIRC correctly was not stated if plant derived cellulose or microbial derived like from the Japanese cans. But they do look awesome, and so many woods to come. Open, 300ohm, biodyna. Though the Klipsch looks gorgeous as well :D

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #238 of 258
I've replaced the original pads with Brainwavz Angled pleather and it kinda let me down. Both lows and soundstage get improved but CAL! seems to loose its composure on both at the same time. With the original pads, bass body on them wasn't particularly tight in first place but it feels like it gets more incoherent with Brainwavz Angled. Width wise soundstage sure gets wider but it brings kinda unnatural presentation to my ears.

Anyone has encountered same? Or any other pads suggestion would be appreciated as well since the stock pads worn out anyway.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #239 of 258
I've replaced the original pads with Brainwavz Angled pleather and it kinda let me down. Both lows and soundstage get improved but CAL! seems to loose its composure on both at the same time. With the original pads, bass body on them wasn't particularly tight in first place but it feels like it gets more incoherent with Brainwavz Angled. Width wise soundstage sure gets wider but it brings kinda unnatural presentation to my ears.

Anyone has encountered same? Or any other pads suggestion would be appreciated as well since the stock pads worn out anyway.

I've tried hm5 + open-back and it wasn;t all that great. Then i used the shp9500 discs

Untitled.png

w/ hm5 sheeps but they are too thick, so sound was good, but not best

tried xl round sheep + shp 9500 discs, and its thinner, plus the donut is fatter, which results in bass overload (relative to stock). Back plate off (open mod). the discs snap on, and you can snap back and forth with 9500, but you can superglue them if want permanent mod.

the flatter you can get pads, by jumping on them squishing them, the livelier they get.

Its comfy (less than 300g i imagine) and sounds fab. Those stock pads are horrendous.

Untitled.png

XL Round sheepskin, who would've thought.

Long live those Fostex 40mm China-biocellulose.

:D

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #240 of 258
the flatter you can get pads, by jumping on them squishing them, the livelier they get.

Its comfy (less than 300g i imagine) and sounds fab. Those stock pads are horrendous.
:D

So, in that regard, wouldn't the stock pads should sound better than aftermarket thicker angled pads? :p After the pads swap, my hunch is telling me that CAL! goes unnatural with angled pads. So, I was kinda thinking getting of a Brainwavz Memory foam pads which is still thicker than stock but not angled. But now I'm in dilemma again.

Have you (or anybody else, for that matter) tried them with Brainwavz velors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back