Creative Aurvana Live! Review and Mods
Jul 9, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #196 of 258
Quote:
  How do HM5 pleather and SRH840 pleather pads change the sound?

I don't recommend Shure pads but HM5 pleathers make the sound more refined, airier and more spacious, as well as improve isolation.  The sound isn't as in-your-face as before, it overall sounds like "moving a couple of rows farther back from the stage".  Treble balance improves a little bit and upper midrange is a little stronger than before.  Definitely recommended.

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #198 of 258
I don't know if this is the correct thread but here I go. Do anyone of you know how can I fix my CAL? It got broken due to a hit in the underground.

Here's a picture (the forum won't let me embed it)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/510499/aurvana.JPG

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #199 of 258
  I don't know if this is the correct thread but here I go. Do anyone of you know how can I fix my CAL? It got broken due to a hit in the underground.

Here's a picture (the forum won't let me embed it)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/510499/aurvana.JPG

That part is a weak, cheap metal alloy.  Best thing to do is get another broken CAL to take that part from it, unless Creative or Denon will sell the spare part to you.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #200 of 258
I've tried the HM5 velour pads on the CAL! - and found that the sound became very splashy in the highs.  Unlistenable for my tastes.  Comfort-wise they are fantastic.  Fit-wise they seem a little big on the cans at first - but they fit just fine, and i would be comfortable that they would not come off unintentionally.  The HM5s are considerably deeper and wider.  It seems the price for all that extra ear room is that the mids and lows loose their relative impact to the highs, or possibly that the highs become overemphasized given the increased distance to the ear canal.  Maybe it's the difference between pleather and the more open velour.  In any event - i'm on the lookout for a leather/pleather memory foam pad that will fit the CAL! that maybe isn't so thick/deep, but is just a little bit wider than the stock pads.  Recommendations welcomed!!!

I have some protein leather earpads from NVX that are angled. They're nice.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66627_NVX-XRE100A.html

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #203 of 258
Just picked up a pair for my wife - lovely warm and musical signature. I could easily use these instead of my Momentum 1 if it weren't for the chintzy build quality. Not saying they're matching them totally sonically or anything - the Momentum is more detailed and quicker - but it's an absolute winner at this price. Actually more tonally balanced than the Momentum. A perfect gift headphone. (A.k.a gateway drug.)

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #204 of 258
I just ordered a pair of CAL! for a little over $40.00, shipped. Reviews are very good on these budget cans so I am hopeful they will turn out to be better than the price suggests. I plan on replacing the existing pads with Brainwavz angled pleather pads in order to improve isolation and comfort. Fingers crossed!

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #205 of 258
I have repaired and wirelessified my cans. I though it might be of interest to anyone here with a broken headband.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/794933/resurrect-and-bluetooth-your-cals-denons-ah-d1001-mod#post_12256768

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #206 of 258
Someone recommended these to me in another thread. However, I'm concerned about the build quality. I'm seeing some consumer reviews complaining about broken phones, as well as some comments in this thread about repairs. Will these things hold up to being banged around in a backpack for a couple of years?

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #207 of 258
I have had the CAL! for a couple of weeks now and I can say with confidence that they are built lightly and seem very fragile. The wires are thin and have small strain reliefs, the gimbals that hold the cups are lightweight and made of plastic, the cups themselves are nice looking but are made from a rather cheap plastic, and the head strap is thin and seems rather weak. Overall, the impression I have of their construction is that they are very insubstantial. On the other hand, their sound is quite good and I have enjoyed using them but only with careful treatment and only at my desk. The CAL! headphones are definitely not made to be thrown into a backpack, unfortunately. If you are looking for a solidly built closed set of cans at a budget price, I would recommend the Takstar Pro 80/ Gemini HSR-1000. Good luck! 
Edit: I want to add that replacing the stock pads with Brainwavz angled pleather pads made the CAL! very comfortable and enjoyable to use for hours on end. Their light clamping force in addition with the thick, soft pads make the CAL! a pleasure to use...carefully. The bottom line here is, the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones are an infuriating combination of good comfort, excellent sound, and lousy build quality. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #208 of 258
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll pass on these. While I don't throw my headphones under passing buses, I'm not gentle with them either. It doesn't sound like these would last very long for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back