Creative Aurvana Live! Review and Mods
May 10, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #181 of 258
Are these discontinued by Creative for good? If so I think Fostex should just re-release this line here under a new name but make it the same as their current Kotori 201 Line (Which I think is still in production over at Japan) with all their colour customization options carried over.

May 10, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #182 of 258
Are these discontinued by Creative for good? If so I think Fostex should just re-release this line here under a new name but make it the same as their current Kotori 201 Line (Which I think is still in production over at Japan) with all their colour customization options carried over.

Not in my country. If they would make the bass a bit less in quantity and tighter, that would be a killer headphone!

May 10, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #183 of 258
I just AB/ed my -sometimes- bass distorted Creative Aurvana Live vs the Focal Spirit Pro.

The first thing I noticed when I heard the CALs after listening to the Spirit Pro for almost a month now, is how ''distant'' they sounded compared to the very upfront sound of the Spirit Pros.

The treble seemed unnaturally boosted on the CAL after listening to the Spirit Pros for a few weeks, but that quickly got away after 2 minutes of listening and they sounded VERY naturally clear and open again.

That annoying ''harsh uppermids texture'' I experience with the Spirit Pros, was also less on the CAL (but still a bit), and my CALs were EVEN smoother before I modded them (so that means the CAL has zero to none harshness in their stock form)

I would say the Creative Aurvana Live sounds clearer and more open than the Spirit Pros, but more distant in presentation, better in comfort.  

The Spirit Pro has a ''bigger'', more upfront sound, harsher uppermids (although less uppermids quantity than the CAL, the uppermids texture of the CAL is a lot smoother), more detail, better instrument separation, tighter bass, less clear and open sounding than the CAL, same natural sound as the CAL (again, less bright than the CAL and harsher in the uppermids. But if we ignore those harsh uppermids and more distant sound of the CALs, they sound just as natural).

If I had to keep one headphone, it would be the CAL, since I like my clarity and smooth, natural sound. If the Spirit Pros didn't have that harshness in the uppermids, than I would keep those rather than the CAL, since I can live with less clarity and/or openess (but with the better things the Spirit Pros has over the CAL, like more detail, more upfront sound, bigger sound, tighter bass, better instrument separation)

But that doesn't mean the Spirit Pro sounds dull. It sounds clear enough to me to not bother me, it's just that they sound a bit dull when compared to the CAL..

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #188 of 258
These are just wonderful sounding headphones once you get the fit right on your head.

They actually let me enjoy the music, because they sound very clear and natural, but without being too strident like the Focal Spirit Professional

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #191 of 258
  I'll just share my latest, completely aesthetic CAL mod here :) Will try and get my hands on some silver wire for added bling sometime.

I still want to see what it'd look like with some cups from Martincustomaudio.

How did you make them swivel like that? 

Also, where did you buy the carb sticker?

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #193 of 258
Imo, the CAL have this unique sound where they still sound good with poor source material, but if you feed them high quality recordings, they'll have A LOT more resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back