Creative Aurvana Live! 2
Dec 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #151 of 563
The bass is very 'robust' but doesn't seem to overpower as much as what many refer to as basshead headphones. I like a slightly raised bass myself since you don't 'feel' the bass like you do with speakers and slightly raising it kind of helps give the impression of a nice balance imo.

The CAL2 sounds like big speakers to me. (As in floorstanders) It really has a very solid sound and is what Sennheiser refer to as 'bass led' sound. So if you like a pure, flatter sound, this may not be for you.

I have a preference for headphones that try to emulate speakers in tonality so for me, the Senn hd600, 650 and the modded Fostex T40/t50 really suit my tastes. I don't have much of a problem with the sound of the CAL2 because it is a warm sound but also quite rich in detail.

It's a little thicker sounding than my T50 with a passive filter switched on to raise the treble dip, but without the filter switched in, the CAL2 has a similar timbre to the T50 with velour pads. Perhaps the T50 is a tad darker without its filter switched in, but the CAL2 has more bass thwack. it also goes really low down too, like the T50.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #153 of 563
Can anyone that has tried both these and the dt770 80ohms tell me the differences in quality, I am ordering either one now. The cal2's are £99.99, and the dt770's are £129.99, I have already tried the original cals and loved the sound signature but couldn't stand the comfort, while I have tired dt990's and loved the comfort but didn't like the sound of them.

Basically is the dt770 worth the extra £30 over the new cal2?

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #154 of 563
Tried the Beyerdynamic 770 250ohm today in a HiFi shop. Was very impressed with the soundstage!! There's only a 30$ difference between that and the CAL2. Kinda confused now. But I think I'll keep the CAL2, since I don't like the coiled cable of the Beyer.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #156 of 563
Which do you prefer between the two? What is the difference?

I'm keeping the CAL2!

Why?

Love the sound, nice bass without being too overpowered. Soundstage may be bigger in the Beyerdynamic, but not a huge difference.

The design on the CAL2 is much better IMO.

Also, there's a volume control and play/pause button on the CAL2, if that's important to you. A microphone is also present on the cable.

Last but not least, you can lay the cups flat down on the CAL2.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #157 of 563
Just a quick update on my CAL! 2. 
Yesterday I was working on an all aluminum cup for my Q40, and with the extra time I had I made 2 aluminum plate to replace the linings from before. To my ears the result is pretty impressive. The highs are elevated and a bit more detailed and the bass has a little more impact to it. I also lined the baffle with a 1/8 strip of dynamat and that seem to help keep the bass under control (only noticeable on some songs). 
Right now I rank my CAL! 2 above the MDR-1R, UE6000, etc.

Up next is a thicker aluminum alloy with a few stuffed channels.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #158 of 563
how do these compare to the momentums .........

They have a bigger bass and believe it or not, the Momentums have more 'presence and they're rolled off up top according to fr graphs. There's more bass 'bloom' on the CAL2.

I'd say the Momentum is better but not as comfortable to wear for long periods.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #159 of 563
  Just a quick update on my CAL! 2. 
Yesterday I was working on an all aluminum cup for my Q40, and with the extra time I had I made 2 aluminum plate to replace the linings from before. To my ears the result is pretty impressive. The highs are elevated and a bit more detailed and the bass has a little more impact to it. I also lined the baffle with a 1/8 strip of dynamat and that seem to help keep the bass under control (only noticeable on some songs). 
Right now I rank my CAL! 2 above the MDR-1R, UE6000, etc.

Up next is a thicker aluminum alloy with a few stuffed channels.

I want to try some stuffing in the cups, like I did on the CAL1, but doesn't it effect the soundstage? After all, you're limiting the space inside the cups....

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #161 of 563
  how do these compare to the momentums .........

They have a bigger bass and believe it or not, the Momentums have more 'presence and they're rolled off up top according to fr graphs. There's more bass 'bloom' on the CAL2.

I'd say the Momentum is better but not as comfortable to wear for long periods.

The clarity on Momentums is better. Timbre of the Momentum is less 'thick' sounding than th CAL2. Better mids on the Momentum.

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #163 of 563
Subbed.  Had the original.................these look interesting for a portable solution. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #164 of 563
  I want to try some stuffing in the cups, like I did on the CAL1, but doesn't it effect the soundstage? After all, you're limiting the space inside the cups....

So far the soundstage haven't been affected, but like all mods if it has a negative or unwanted effect just undo it. Trial and error is the only way to know what works and what doesn't, that's why I haven't done anything major yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back