Craft Ears Reviews/Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #151 of 345
It measures better than Trailli in bass and treble plus has horn loaded true Estat

Damm, craft ears took the crown for the loudest pure EST ever, which seemed impossible before this. Either iems were weak or they were assisted with BA(Trailli) to compensate loudness.
Indeed, the airiness on the Aurum is really striking - not that I can claim to be able to listen at such high frequencies with any degree of confidence lol

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #152 of 345
Agreed with the comments in this thread. Aurum is excellent iem, very strong bass presence, extremely airy and what I love the most is its treble energy, smooth but a lot of energy, not shouty or overwhelming.

I am not surprise I see comparison witb Traillii. I still think Traillii is more technical, spacious and natural, but if you love treble energy and strong vocal presence, Aurum is superb, especially for thr price. I demo it at Zep for hours and decided to put in order for the custom version.

I think a more natural comparison of Aurum is with Elysian X though, although that is harder to find, Zep has both (and Traillii too), I'd say X has Aurum beat also on detail and technicality. However both are quite close on treble energy, I love them both.

Sep 4, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #153 of 345
Agreed with the comments in this thread. Aurum is excellent iem, very strong bass presence, extremely airy and what I love the most is its treble energy, smooth but a lot of energy, not shouty or overwhelming.

I am not surprise I see comparison witb Traillii. I still think Traillii is more technical, spacious and natural, but if you love treble energy and strong vocal presence, Aurum is superb, especially for thr price. I demo it at Zep for hours and decided to put in order for the custom version.

I think a more natural comparison of Aurum is with Elysian X though, although that is harder to find, Zep has both (and Traillii too), I'd say X has Aurum beat also on detail and technicality. However both are quite close on treble energy, I love them both.
I think, as far i remember, aurum has far more crossover than trailli has to control driver behaviour and its EST is not assisted with a BA but its pure EST with horn treble

Whereas i have heard trailli and i didnt find it that special for the price it sells for.

Elysian Annihilator 2021 is also kinda better than X as far i remember

Sep 5, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #154 of 345
Sep 5, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #156 of 345
Sorry I forgot there was private access.

This is a group order for the Aurums. We are 5 and we are looking forward to them very soon.

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #157 of 345
These will be exciting times!
Do kindly share upon receipt, I read this pair go head to head with some very, very top dogs!
And to consider the price of admission, another bang for the summit-fi buck - if such an expression exist...

1630956681711.png

Sep 6, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #158 of 345
These will be exciting times!
Do kindly share upon receipt, I read this pair go head to head with some very, very top dogs!
And to consider the price of admission, another bang for the summit-fi buck - if such an expression exist...

Well, people impression and objective frequency data cannot lie. It is one of the top dogs

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #159 of 345
Managed to do a quick 2-hour audition with the Aurum UIEM at Craft Ears' local dealer in Singapore (Zeppelin) over the weekend and would like to share my quick thoughts for everyone's reference, since there are not many review units out in the wild at the moment.

Gear Used: AK SE180 (with SEM1 module) + Campfire Audio OG Solaris

One thing's for sure, these are real beauties in the flesh!

20210829_160844.jpg

They fit like a glove in my ears using my Acoustune AET08 tips, which I also use on the CA Solaris.

After a quick listen using the stock 3.5mm cable, i swapped over to my own Gloryrain Udon 4.4mm balanced cable (Hybrid Pure Silver/Palladium Plated Silver/Gold Plated Silver, Silver Plated Copper Shielding, 18 AWG Type 6 Litz) for a level playing field with the CA Solaris.

Compared to the CA Solaris, the cymbals, hi-hats and cello/guitar plucking definitely sound much more airier on the Aurum - the estat highs are no gimmick or flash in the pan, the added sense of airiness is palpable.

I would say that bass is a draw in terms of depth & slam, but the Aurum might edge ahead slightly for pace and speed of transitions.

This track in particular showcases the Aurum's strengths for me:

IMG-20210829-WA0012.jpeg

Now i keep focusing on the lack of coherence on the CA Solaris, relatively speaking 😆

In conclusion, I am seriously considering getting a custom set for myself... once i decide which design to get (they have really gorgeous options 🤤)

Very good impressions, thanks.
How is the sound field? larger than the Solaris og?

Sep 7, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #160 of 345
Sep 7, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #161 of 345
Very good impressions, thanks.
How is the sound field? larger than the Solaris og?
It's been several days since my last comparison, but I would say that Solaris OG still edges ahead on soundstage due to its holographic "all around sound" tuning. But the Aurum is not too shabby in this respect either, I remember being impressed by its imaging on some tracks, especially when the estats come into play.

Fun times indeed!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #162 of 345
In my opinion the Andro 2020 runs circles around Aurum's soundstage. The Aurum is very competent in separation and air between notes like the Andro, but soundstage depth exists only if there are many overlapping sounds so it's relative. Unique sounds do not have depth in them, so to say. Happily, this is perhaps the biggest con of the Aurum, it's able to trade blows with other kilobuck titans on equal terms :)

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #163 of 345
In my opinion the Andro 2020 runs circles around Aurum's soundstage. The Aurum is very competent in separation and air between notes like the Andro, but soundstage depth exists only if there are many overlapping sounds so it's relative. Unique sounds do not have depth in them, so to say. Happily, this is perhaps the biggest con of the Aurum, it's able to trade blows with other kilobuck titans on equal terms :)
I think aurum is reference class iem as the problem you state about unique tones.. that i hear with every reference iem. Its how human ear should listen to sounds isnt it.
Music should call for soundstage and not the speaker or iem

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #164 of 345
It's been several days since my last comparison, but I would say that Solaris OG still edges ahead on soundstage due to its holographic "all around sound" tuning. But the Aurum is not too shabby in this respect either, I remember being impressed by its imaging on some tracks, especially when the estats come into play.

Fun times indeed!
The classic 4kHz solaris dip
Its not accurate but kinda makes everything sound holographic without making it old andro Hollow.
Aurum will still eat it on imaging due to reference tuning though.
Well, as expected of craft ears, they make tools of music crafting.

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #165 of 345
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/craft-ears-aurum.25437/reviews My review is up :) And so is my new logo!

I think aurum is reference class iem as the problem you state about unique tones.. that i hear with every reference iem. Its how human ear should listen to sounds isnt it.
Music should call for soundstage and not the speaker or iem
Yes and no, I've heard some random quality Led Zeppelin mp3s that had lots of stage regardless of IEM; and some poorly mixed tracks which breathed with added air because the IEM could do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back