Crack + Speedball vs. Lyr
Dec 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #46 of 57
You'll want to creep all the mods you can into your crack. The bottlehead forums are perhaps the best source for crazy crack mods. However, plainly you can sink enough $ into a crack that you could have a mainline for the same (if/when it goes on sale).   The HD800 I should point out trash the 650s on the Crack, which is my current amp.  A mainline is in my future to push the HD800 further.  I haven't pushed all I can get out of the Crack yet, as I'm still using the stock input tube type, but the E80CC type looks very promising.

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #50 of 57
Much better sound staging...richer mids...tonality of instruments and voices is appreciably improved.

SB=tighter bass with a good dash improved sub bass extension (best upgrade for the crack IMO)

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #52 of 57
So we are now into 2015 and still no comparison post. Really?

Thinking of using the Crack+Speedball with Mad Dog Pro headphones. Anyone tried that?

I've got an Uberfrost, so wondering how the combo of Uberfrost/Crack+Speedball+Mad Dog Pro would sound.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #54 of 57
Horrible what? That there is still no comparison post or the combination of devices I asked about?

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #56 of 57

Do more research on headphones and amplifier's impedance.  In short, the Crack is a good amp only for high impedance headphones.

Gotcha. Makes sense. So a better choice would be my Asgard 2 or a Lyr 2. Though I'm not sure a Lyr 2 would be a huge step. Maybe will stay with the Asgard 2 for now.

Thanks for your response.

May 18, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #57 of 57
You can taylor a bit of the Lyr sound with tubes.  For the most part the Lyr2 has a lot of energy and punch and the Crack is a bit more laid back.  However with tweaks, the Crack can pull ahead. The weak point on the Crack is the power supply rectification, which imparts low level clarity issues which might not be noticed until you hear something really clean like Mainline.  IMHO the Lyr will hold its own against a speedball Crack with a good set of tubes, which you can expect to spend about $150-$400 for, depending on what you want, what's available and market demand at the time.

Of course the Crack is an OTL, so high impedance headphones only. 

The only real way to know is to use your own ears and own both.  Both the Lyr and Crack will sell well on head-fi you can swing the expense. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back