Crack + Speedball vs. Lyr
Feb 19, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #31 of 57
Awesome! Can't wait to hear that myself. I have asked j123my to build a crack + speedball for me and it should ship sometime next week - thanks for letting me know. The build in his pictures looks really gorgeous. Doesn't really matter, I just hope he builds and ships faaaasssttttt...! 
biggrin.gif

How much does he charge?

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Indeed. I'll be posting my impressions in the next couple of days. The Lyr is absolutely great with the HD 650, but the Crack + Speedball drips with honey.
tongue.gif

Woohoo, knew I made the right decision. :) Looking forward to the full comparison.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #33 of 57
Quote:
How much does he charge?

Why dont you just build it yourself? It looks very simple and rewarding. You will also save money and be able to implement upgrades yourself.

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #34 of 57
?????????????????? AND
  1. swmtnbiker

Talk about anti climax was reading this thread from the start and looking forward to the results AND NOTHING 

:frowning2:   anyway i only ended up here as i have just bought there weekend special crack with free speed :)

so come on where is this damn comparison ????? did it blow up !!

ta sy

Jul 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #35 of 57
While my HD650 sounds great with my Lyr, I suspect the ultimate 650 amp is still out there. Maybe OTL and balanced is the way to go? :smile:

I moved from the Lyr to the Crack + Speedball myself and had plenty of time to compare them side-by-side. The Schiit is good, but with the HD 650 the Crack is on a higher plain of existence. I don't miss my Lyr at all.

Swmtnbiker, if you are to scale the musical quality of the crack + hd650 as perfect 10, what will be the scale number for lyr + hd650?

Hmmm, interesting question. For what it's worth, I'd say that if I rated the Crack + Speedball a perfect 10 with the HD 650 then I'd have to put the Lyr at about a 7, with both amps running the best tubes I've heard in each.

But what do I know...
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #36 of 57
Can you elaborate on how the Crack is better?  I saw the deal with the free Speedball and am considering a purchase.  I see a few postings saying it's better.  I'm very curious.

Thank you.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #38 of 57
What ever happened to this thread!? I wanted to read the review comparison of the Lyr Crack and Soloist.

They could post that but in my opinion it is a hard thing to do due to the Soloist being solid state and the others being tube or tube hybrids. I'll say right up front I prefer tube amps and the Crack/Speed sounds a lot better to me than the Lyr or Soloist. I will say though the Soloist sounds real good for a solid state amp, the best I have ever heard in fact. It also costs twice as much as those other amps so it probably should sound better. It certainly sounds better than my old Headroom amp by a long way. All that being said if I had $1k to spend, I'd probably get a Bottlehead Mainline amp instead of a soloist but that is just me. You don't have to build the Soloist so that is a big plus  and could be a major deciding factor if you don't have the skill and knowledge to build an amp kit.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #39 of 57

They could post that but in my opinion it is a hard thing to do due to the Soloist being solid state and the others being tube or tube hybrids. I'll say right up front I prefer tube amps and the Crack/Speed sounds a lot better to me than the Lyr or Soloist. I will say though the Soloist sounds real good for a solid state amp, the best I have ever heard in fact. It also costs twice as much as those other amps so it probably should sound better. It certainly sounds better than my old Headroom amp by a long way. All that being said if I had $1k to spend, I'd probably get a Bottlehead Mainline amp instead of a soloist but that is just me. You don't have to build the Soloist so that is a big plus  and could be a major deciding factor if you don't have the skill and knowledge to build an amp kit.

Gotcha, and that makes sense. I guess what I was more wondering was the comparison between the Lry and the Crack w/ Speedball. I have a Crack w/ Speedball now with a Tungsol 5998, Obligatto film caps and an Alps Blue Velvet pot, but since I am considering getting an UberFrost I have been also wondering how the Lyr compares since those two stack oh so nicely.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #40 of 57

Gotcha, and that makes sense. I guess what I was more wondering was the comparison between the Lry and the Crack w/ Speedball. I have a Crack w/ Speedball now with a Tungsol 5998, Obligatto film caps and an Alps Blue Velvet pot, but since I am considering getting an UberFrost I have been also wondering how the Lyr compares since those two stack oh so nicely.

Sure I think you are on the right track with the Bifrost Uber, you are going to end up with a really fine system in the end.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #41 of 57
I'm really debating with the Lyr and the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball (prebuilt). Like others, I've heard so much good reviews with the Crack and HD650, but I plan to also use planar magnetic headphones (like the HE-400 or HE-500) in the future and heard Lyr was a better fit for those. I do plan to eventually get the Bifrost Uber too.

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #42 of 57
  I'm really debating with the Lyr and the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball (prebuilt). Like others, I've heard so much good reviews with the Crack and HD650, but I plan to also use planar magnetic headphones (like the HE-400 or HE-500) in the future and heard Lyr was a better fit for those. I do plan to eventually get the Bifrost Uber too.

I'm enjoying my HE400s on both Darkvoice336SE and on Crack/Speedball ,I'm not sure about HE500 tho 

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #45 of 57

Is Alps Blue Velvet pot really good, compared to a stepped attenuator? Also how is it against the stock pot? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back