Crack + Speedball vs. Lyr
Feb 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #16 of 57
Hmm...
size]

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #17 of 57
Quote:

Don't hate me if I jump the Schiit ship Matt...
biggrin.gif

Although I gotta tell you, I picked up a matched pair of 1966 Bugle Boys from mercedesman a couple of weeks ago and damn, they sound superb in the Lyr. Even better than my A frame Amperex set. The Crack is going to have to work really hard to impress me.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

I ordered mine on the 25th of Jan still waiting for it to be dispatched (Cant wait!!), I think they are doing a crack shipment this week! I decided to go for the Crack against the Lyr based on the fantastic reviews received about the synergy with the HD650. Let me know your opinions on the lyr vs crack.

It'll probably be at least a week before I post any impressions, but I will post.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #19 of 57
Probably goes without saying...but please post which tubes you're rolling and if your crack is speedballed! 

In my case: No Speedball, RCA 6AS7G, Sylvania 12AU7....and no Lyr to compare to
rolleyes.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #22 of 57
Quote:
Yes, tubes will be posted for sure. The Crack showed up this afternoon and let me just say this so far - holy ****.

If it's giving you that impression coming from a Lyr imagine what sort of reaction I'm going to give coming from a Fiio E09 :) Cant wait.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #23 of 57
Quote:
If it's giving you that impression coming from a Lyr imagine what sort of reaction I'm going to give coming from a Fiio E09 :) Cant wait.

Keep in mind that first impressions can sometimes be analogous to a honeymoon. Everything is fresh and new and great. The deeper understanding that comes from familiarity is usually revealed only after being married for a while.
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I've only had the Crack since yesterday afternoon and have been listening to it exclusively since then without doing any direct comparisons with the Lyr or the Soloist. That being said it still sounds very, very impressive with the HD-650. Simply wonderful. I have no doubt that it will be a huge improvement over your E09.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #24 of 57
Yes agreed. Can't wait for your comparison with the Lyr. I understand both are fantastic pairings with the HD650, I would imagine the final conclusion would come down to preference with neither being superior to the other.

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:
HD650, and I already own the Lyr, which IMO has very, very good synergy with the Senns, particularly with some good NOS tubes. However, I've read so many good things about the Crack + Speedball with this headphone that I'm considering jumping the Schiit ship. The purpose of my post was to elicit opinions from people who have heard both amps. Oh, and I'd be buying a pre-built Crack, not doing it myself.

Oooh, I had the privilege of hearing the Speedball Crack/HD650 combo yesterday. It was absolutely incredible, nearly perfect pairing. Didn't have a chance to listen to the Lyr though.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:
I see the lyr is up in the FS forum. So that is the full verdict, then? 
rolleyes.gif

Indeed. I'll be posting my impressions in the next couple of days. The Lyr is absolutely great with the HD 650, but the Crack + Speedball drips with honey.
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Indeed. I'll be posting my impressions in the next couple of days. The Lyr is absolutely great with the HD 650, but the Crack + Speedball drips with honey.
tongue.gif

Awesome! Can't wait to hear that myself. I have asked j123my to build a crack + speedball for me and it should ship sometime next week - thanks for letting me know. The build in his pictures looks really gorgeous. Doesn't really matter, I just hope he builds and ships faaaasssttttt...! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back