Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Sep 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2,568 of 12,347
  If drizek plans to upgrade to HD800 then I would suggest getting the next step up for a DAC to keep the price ratio closer.  Maybe a Schiit Bifrost?
Or wait to see how much you'll like to build the Crack and get the Bottlehead DAC once they release it? :wink:

I have the crack and a Nuforce HDP as a DAC I also plan on getting the 800s in the future and the only reason I have not bought a new DSD approved DAC yet is because I'm sure the bottlehead DAC will be a killer deal!  Using HD 600s for your perspective

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2,569 of 12,347
  Hey guys, how would the Crack compare with the Little Dot Mk III in order to drive the HD 600/HD 650?

MILES ahead. I found the Little Dot to be lacking in warmth and it sounded a little bland when I owned it. The Crack is one of the best amps I've heard with the HD600/650.

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #2,570 of 12,347
Check my profile for an (incomplete) list of amps I have owned. The Crack is the best amp I have found for the HD800s, HD650s and HD600s bar none, even at (literally!) 10x the price. Yes, it is that good.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #2,571 of 12,347
Check my profile for an (incomplete) list of amps I have owned. The Crack is the best amp I have found for the HD800s, HD650s and HD600s bar none, even at (literally!) 10x the price. Yes, it is that good.
May I know what is the amp the Crack beats at 10 times it's price?

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #2,572 of 12,347
May I know what is the amp the Crack beats at 10 times it's price?

+1 - not because I doubt it, but because I love knowing how good this beast of an amp is!!

I just finished installing the Speedball in my pre-existing Crack. I wish I could A/B it with the non-Speedball version because the sound was so good before (with GEC 6AS7G straight brown base + RCA Cleartop 12AU7) that I can't tell how much better it is 
blink.gif

I know it sounds ridiculously good now through the Beyer T1s, but I have no real direct comparison to be amazed by. It does seem more articulate and transparent now, but it's hard to now how much of that is in my head due to my expectations...

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #2,573 of 12,347
Woo Audio WA22 ($2,000) with Tung-Sol 7236 upgrade tubes ($160) + Sylvania 6SN7GT upgrade tubes ($330) + Sophia Princess 274B upgrade ($160).

But for what it's worth, with the HD800s I also preferred the Crack over the following:

- ECP Audio DSHA-1
- HiFiMAN EF-6
- Schiit Mjolnir
- Violectric V181
- Fully top-of-the-line AMB Beta 22 that I sold for over $2k
- Little Dot Mk VI+ with about $600 of upgrade tubes
- etc., etc.

To be clear, I would take a stock Crack over any of the above.

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #2,578 of 12,347

Haha. I take it that's a good reaction?

I was wondering the same thing.  Is that good or bad???? Or both? 
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #2,579 of 12,347

I was wondering the same thing.  Is that good or bad???? Or both? 
evil_smiley.gif

Haha. I take it that's a good reaction?

INDEED!

A few tube enthusiasts have opined to me that they found the Ken Rad 6C8G (RPs) to sound fairly similar to the (famed) Ken Rad 6SN7 (RPs).  Now, I've haven't had a chance to actually hear the highly regarded 6SN7 version.. but if the sound of the 6F8G variant is any indication, the 6SN7 version must certainly be something special.  The 6F8G's bass is definitely punchy and impactful.. w/ the focus being on the sub bass rather than the midbass.  The treble has a smooth, balanced (in reference to the midrange) presence and good depth  Treble is crisp & complimentary to the addictive bass and deep, engaging midrange.  It's certainly in the top two or three favorite tubes I've rolled into the Crack.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #2,580 of 12,347
i took a chance on a crack + speedball that was modified by the user with caps, bypass, etc on ebay as i've wanted to try one for awhile and it's quite difficult to find a prebuilt one. i hope it works out.
could someone perhaps give me a beginner's breakdown on tube rolling? this is my first tube amp and i want to try out different tubes here and there, is it as simple as finding out the compatible tubes and purchasing it and then plugging it in? that's it?
does there need to be any synergy between the 2 tubes at all?

also what's a good dac to go with it to bring out the "tubey" sound in the $200-250 USED range, i'm currently using an odac but would that be too neutral/analytical? i was thinking maybe a music streamer ii+ or a dacport lx, they're both highly recommended on headphonia.

i'm using an hd600 currently but i plan to try to get a hd650 used in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back