Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 15, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #11,401 of 12,347
Listening to BS650 + Crack OTL and its hypnotizing. On Crack OTL I feel like i can hear all these details i didnt hear before. Subtle nuances. It is weird I don't understand why. Is it because the song is relaxed and allowing me to notice things that are more subtle since foreground detail is not jumping out into my face ?

I love this amp so much I can't describe it even. And its surrounded by amps that cost thousands more but I think i prefer Crack over everything i have.

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #11,403 of 12,347
This Audio Note pot is a good one. I use it in a S.E.X amp and it is very smooth, has more turning resistance than the Alps that is in my Crack/SB. It is balanced very nicely all the way through. I like it much better than the Alps although both are very good performers.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/ANVPOT-81914.html

I used the audio note pot on my Bottlehead crack build as well. Very happy with it. I love that chicken head volume knob and plate. If you don't mind me asking where did you find the dial plate?

Mar 15, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #11,404 of 12,347
Mar 15, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #11,405 of 12,347
Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #11,406 of 12,347
I’ve used both audio note and blue velvet pots and slightly preferred the audio note, but it really didn’t matter.

Also, I have a crackatwoa. It was a much harder build, but it is an excellent amp and pairs very naturally with the same headphones the crack does. If you want to jump right into a direct sonic upgrade this is it.

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #11,407 of 12,347
If I was buying new, I would definitely go straight to the Crackatwoa. I built my Crack/SB in 2014. Paid $325 back then and did about$100 in upgrades. I am really happy with the performance. So much so that a Crackatwoa will never make financial sense. I did build an S.3.X. recently and it is excellent. More refined than Crack/SB and a better overall amp IMO, but I enjoy both equally. And, I've enjoyed them more than any SS headphone amp I've used.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #11,408 of 12,347
Anyone put the tkd pot in ? I have it in my elekit and its really nice. But I think im gonna try the audio note one.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/TKD-64187.html
Yeah very very smooth. It glides and (seems to me) to be equalized L&R all the way up to FKN LOUD. lol
I ground the pin guide, next to the pole, off mine as it is in a different direction to the stock plate and tightened it on as hard as possible plus I had to take the pole down about half way to get my knob sitting a paper width off the plate surface.

IMG_0002.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #11,409 of 12,347
I compared my Crack OTL to my ARC Ref5se into pass x350.8 and although the stack might be slightly more transparent and detailed I prefer the crack OTL. It has a richer smoother tone, full more seductive midrange and nearly matches the air and imaging of the FAR MORE expensive stack. I am utterly blown away by Crack OTL (this is with BS650).

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #11,410 of 12,347
Some of my comments from our discord:

its so incredibly seductive
the emotion in the sound is overwhelming
it connects me to the music in a different way
and i honestly dont find it muddly or lacking of clarity
i simply hear it as extremely pure and natural
arc/pass might have a hair more micro and a bit more transparency
but it loses some of that beautiful tone and full mid range
they def named this amp right
its addictive

Mar 17, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #11,411 of 12,347
Some of my comments from our discord:

its so incredibly seductive
the emotion in the sound is overwhelming
it connects me to the music in a different way
and i honestly dont find it muddly or lacking of clarity
i simply hear it as extremely pure and natural
arc/pass might have a hair more micro and a bit more transparency
but it loses some of that beautiful tone and full mid range
they def named this amp right
its addictive
You nailed it with ‘tone.’ I’ve learned about myself that however much I think I desire transparency, tone means more to me. I gave up my 007 for my auteur, for example.

And what discord? Is there a headfi discord?

Mar 17, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #11,412 of 12,347
You nailed it with ‘tone.’ I’ve learned about myself that however much I think I desire transparency, tone means more to me. I gave up my 007 for my auteur, for example.

And what discord? Is there a headfi discord?

No our audio discord, sonic visions. Its in my signature feel free to stop by. :)

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #11,413 of 12,347
Ok so as you guys know I am loving the non-speedball OTL Crack amp (with BS650, HD800S and ZMF Atticus). I am thinking of where to go from here. I know some may say 'if you love it stop'. But I feel there is yet more out there to explore... and since this is my first taste of a warm, spacious holographic sound I want to sample more. This is my thought process.

Cayin HA 300 -> Seems to be plagued with issues although proponents of it seem to really like it (@jambaj0e liked it even more than DNA stellaris for its warm euphonic sound).

A+S Kenzie / mogwai -> Again seems to have lot of noise issues from my reading and ive read some impressions that mids are actually fairly flat / recessed? But this seems to be a common rec for a euphonic tube sound.

Crackatoa -> Seems like a logical next step, still OTL, speedball integrated so maybe not as euphonic? Also will the step up in sonics be worth it over crack otl?

DNA Stratus / stellaris -> Seems to be universally praised as a warm but detailed amp... my concern is that it may not be warm enough for me (at least 3 people ive talked to called stellaris neutral and ha300 and wa33 elite warmer and more euphonic).

Custom? Aric audio, radu tarta etc -> Fairly pricey and risky (poor resell most likely) if it doesn't turn out well.

I know at some point I have to just get things and try them (for context again the amps I've heard, audio gd he9, elekit tu8600 with mullard and WE clone tubes, ARC ref5se + pass x350.8 and before all that HDV820 and burson conductor SL so I have some level of minimal experience). But it would be nice if there was a clear path just based on recommendations for a warm euphonic but good quality amp. Seems its going to be very hard to find.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #11,414 of 12,347
My next step up from the BHC was the Elekit TU-8200 DX from diyaudio. Was a fun SET kit and the tolerances were spot on in the build. Japanese parts and very high quality.
It is my favorite amp now and possibly my end game.

Mar 20, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #11,415 of 12,347
My next step up from the BHC was the Elekit TU-8200 DX from diyaudio. Was a fun SET kit and the tolerances were spot on in the build. Japanese parts and very high quality.
It is my favorite amp now and possibly my end game.

So I have arguably a step above that in the TU8600 prettty much with full upgrades and I prefer the crack otl. That is what makes things tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back