Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Apr 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #4,608 of 12,347
what do you guys think of crack vs project ember ? which is better? I can't find very much reviews on it.. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #4,609 of 12,347
  what do you guys think of crack vs project ember ? which is better? I can't find very much reviews on it.. 

They are completely different amps so there isn't much you can compare.  It honestly depends on what you are going to be powering.  

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #4,610 of 12,347
@ridethespiral, get at least a 40W iron. A 15W iron will only frustrate you. The terminals and components you deal with in these kits have much more mass and take a lot more energy to heat.

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #4,611 of 12,347
UPDATED 10/12/14

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share my Crack build for those of you thinking about building or upgrading one... I myself was inspired by deltaunit (from the Bottlehead forum), HiGHFLYiN9 (from Head-Fi), and the design of the Decware CSP2 -- so my sincere thanks goes to all of them.

Here is my humble set-up: M-Audio 2496 -> GlowPower Zilence ICs -> Bottlehead Crack -> AKG K612

I

The sound: First of all, I'm in love with the AKG house sound: that open clarity in the mids and the spaciousness overall are traits I will never compromise. So, I wanted a tube amp to help with the K601's and K612's shortcomings: the modest bass and lack of weight. The Crack with my tweaks listed below really has kicked down the door between my music and my emotions, to the point where I really don't feel a need to upgrade anymore. The AKGs themselves are a bit cold and thin, but with my upgraded Crack, the sound transforms to a weighty, smooth, powerful, life-injecting experience. When listening to ( ) by Sigur Ros, the richness of tone and fluidity are hypnotic and seductive; the weight and air churn and tighten my insides so as to command me to take a deep breath. Without the amp, the sound is just sounds (incohesive and analytical) and doesn't feel like music is supposed to. My favorite piece is Nirvana's Unplugged in New York performance. It's raw, haunting, emotional, sincere and beautiful. Even at low volumes, Kurt Cobain's voice reaches deep into my soul, clenching it with an ironclad fist; during 'All Apologies', his vocals tear through the air unrestrainedly like a wolf howling in silhouette before a full moon as the cello, bass guitar, and drums act as the clouds, wind and shadows to round out this heavy yet enlightening atmosphere around my head. Notice my sentimentality and over-the-top descriptions? That's what it's all about. Before this, I just didn't feel the music. Point is: I hope you find or have a set-up that let's you gush like this too :wink:

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #4,612 of 12,347
The TS 7236 is my favourite power cap for the Crack. Clarity and tight, fast bass in spades.

Brilliant work and great impressions for those looking to upgrade.

If you like the 7236, you will love what Speedball does.

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #4,613 of 12,347
AH! I can't imagine the sound getting much better ...so I really am curious about the Speedball now. If and when I do get it, I'll be sure to update my post with my impressions. Thank you for the kind words. Take care and enjoy the music.

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #4,614 of 12,347
  Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share my Crack build for those of you thinking about building or upgrading one... I myself was inspired by deltaunit (from the Bottlehead forum), HiGHFLYiN9 (from Head-Fi), and the design of the Decware CSP2 -- so my sincere thanks goes to all of them.

I

larcenasb

Congrats a nice build and I like the white top it gives it a nice clean n fresh look and can clearly see the heritage from your inspiration coming through.

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #4,615 of 12,347
  They are completely different amps so there isn't much you can compare.  It honestly depends on what you are going to be powering.  

HD650 I also have an IEM gr07BE but I guess I will have to pass on that since it won't work with low impedance HP's (42ohm)

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #4,616 of 12,347
Thanks JamieMcC,

I just looked through your gallery of recent Crack pics... That all black/carbon fiber look is sleeeeek, especially with those dark glass tubes. What kind of tubes are those? If it's not too much trouble, could you state your favorite 12AU7s for the Crack? Have you tried the Mullard square getter (date code: k61)?

Happy listening,

larcenasb

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #4,619 of 12,347
Thanks JamieMcC,

I just looked through your gallery of recent Crack pics... That all black/carbon fiber look is sleeeeek, especially with those dark glass tubes. What kind of tubes are those? If it's not too much trouble, could you state your favorite 12AU7s for the Crack? Have you tried the Mullard square getter (date code: k61)?

Happy listening,

larcenasb

Hi thanks for the kind comments details on the Crack Noir tubes here

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,6010.0.html

My build log

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=5284.msg50967#msg50967

My favourite 12au7's are the Mullards the standard ecc82 and the 4003 box-plates closely followed by the Tung-sol 12au7 black glass and the 1950's Tung sol 12au7 jtl. The E80cc is also a nice tube very much on par with the best of the 12au7/eec82 I have tried and a option if you have a speedball fitted.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #4,620 of 12,347
My postman dropped off a little brown package this morning inside a Tung-sol/Bendix 6080wb
atsmile.gif
 I had been curious to try a graphite tube for a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back