Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Sep 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2,746 of 12,347
Sep 24, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2,747 of 12,347
Yeah, thanks for sharing that.  I've been looking for something like that.  I think the learning process is what makes the DYI route fun.

Also, does anyone know if the Crack shipment went out last Friday?  Doc B. mentioned it in the forum, but I didn't get any emails from Bottlehead.  And queen doesn't seem to be replying.  I'm wondering if mentioning "Crack" in my emails is causing them to go to her spam.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #2,748 of 12,347
  Yeah, thanks for sharing that.  I've been looking for something like that.  I think the learning process is what makes the DYI route fun.

Also, does anyone know if the Crack shipment went out last Friday?  Doc B. mentioned it in the forum, but I didn't get any emails from Bottlehead.  And queen doesn't seem to be replying.  I'm wondering if mentioning "Crack" in my emails is causing them to go to her spam.

You will receive an automatic message of your tracking number when they print out your label.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #2,749 of 12,347
Wow, this thread got kinda busy yesterday. Let me try to address some of the comments.

Re: hum from the SEX amp - use a lower impedance tap. Sensitive headphones can pick up some hum at the 32 ohm tap. That hum will be reduced greatly at the 8 ohm tap, and you will still have more than enough power. 

Re: separate threads - Probably a good idea as this thread is already over 2700 posts. If started, someone please hip me to it so I can subscribe and be ready to answer questions.

Re: Mainline sample - I will read the reviews and certainly give it consideration. There is one thing that is terribly important about a review of one of our products -  the review must be of a stock kit with no mods. It is pointless to review something other than the exact kit we send out. That of course doesn't include cosmetics. But no $50 caps, no $250 attenuators, etc.  If there is to be a comparison of all three kits, this of course would hold true for all three kits.

Re shipping: We get a large number of orders for Crack kits and because of this we typically run about 4-5 weeks delivery. I have attempted to put that in obvious places on our web site. We got a particularly large number of orders last month due to a sale and because of this delivery might run a bit more than 4-5 weeks. We did ship a lot of kits last week, and we will be shipping more later this week. We have a large order of wood bases that will not arrive until Oct. 1st, and that will influence the timing of shipment of quite a few of the more recent orders. I'm sorry that I don't know specifics of individual orders, that is not my bailiwick. I can say that Crack kits are worked on every day here, just to keep up the flow. 

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #2,750 of 12,347
  Re: hum from the SEX amp - use a lower impedance tap. Sensitive headphones can pick up some hum at the 32 ohm tap. That hum will be reduced greatly at the 8 ohm tap, and you will still have more than enough power. 

Re: separate threads - Probably a good idea as this thread is already over 2700 posts. If started, someone please hip me to it so I can subscribe and be ready to answer questions.

Re: Mainline sample - I will read the reviews and certainly give it consideration. There is one thing that is terribly important about a review of one of our products -  the review must be of a stock kit with no mods. It is pointless to review something other than the exact kit we send out. That of course doesn't include cosmetics. But no $50 caps, no $250 attenuators, etc.  If there is to be a comparison of all three kits, this of course would hold true for all three kits.

Doc I am using LCD 2 and 3 would turning the impedence switches down work for those as well?

Ya the SEX that I have is modded way too much than.  

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,751 of 12,347
Setting your SEX for a lower output impedance will work fine with the LCD 2 and 3. The higher output impedance settings just increase the power available when using high impedance headphones. If you can get loud enough at a lower impedance setting, even when using your HD600s, then just leave the amp on the lower setting. I forget the exact number, but I think the LCD-2s are 32 Ohm, so I would certainly try one of the lower impedance settings with those...

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #2,753 of 12,347
Here it is: http://www.hificollective.co.uk/pdf/otl_head.pdf

Great article. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the article Adam. I'll have a read on the train today.

Also, to clarify, I wasn't suggesting Crack is what it is just to be cheap. My point was basically what you said only not as well expressed. I was guessing that both price and performance were involved and that the Crack represents a great option for high impedance cans at a low pricepoint. At the same time, the need for output transformers with lower impedance loads means a higher starting price for a good sound with a wider range of loads. You said it beautifully.

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #2,755 of 12,347
Wow, this thread got kinda busy yesterday. Let me try to address some of the comments.

I'm very happy to start a new Bottlehead thread this weekend, beginning with reviews of the Crack and SEX. I'll post a link here as soon as it's done.

Doc, I currently have both of the above kits in 100% stock configuration and began without Speedball or C4S before adding the Speedball (C4S to come). As per my email I'd be honoured if we could come to an arrangement regarding the Mainline.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #2,758 of 12,347
I have heard it said that the Bottlehead Crack is the best amp you can get for the HD600/650 (or at least one of the best) As I already have both of those phones and am planning to upgrade, would the same also be true of the HD700 and 800, or is there something about those that causes the Crack amp some problems? I was going to get a Lyr but the more I think about it, the more I think it would be fun just to build my own, plus Bottlehead is just across the water from me so I can go yell at em if it doesn't work out :)

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #2,759 of 12,347
  I have heard it said that the Bottlehead Crack is the best amp you can get for the HD600/650 (or at least one of the best) As I already have both of those phones and am planning to upgrade, would the same also be true of the HD700 and 800, or is there something about those that causes the Crack amp some problems? I was going to get a Lyr but the more I think about it, the more I think it would be fun just to build my own, plus Bottlehead is just across the water from me so I can go yell at em if it doesn't work out :)

I have briefly tried the HD800 with the Crack and it sounds great (and that was pre-Speedball and pre-GEC brown base tube). From all reports, it's a great option for the price and up to about $1000. I know a fellow Head-Fier that owns and prefers the Woo Fireflies over the Crack (setup as described above), but to me it was more a personal taste thing and the Fireflies cost <$1000. I believe the additional performance brought by the Speedball and right choice of tubes would make it neck-and-neck or even go in the Crack's favour.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #2,760 of 12,347
If you search this thread, you will find my thoughts on this subject (repeated more often than many people would like). I find the Crack to be the best amp I've tried with my HD800s, and that includes amps that cost up to about $2,500 with tubes. Have I tried all amps below $2,500? No, but I have tried a fair number of amps in the $1,000-2,000 range and I still like the Crack the best. Some of those $1,000-2,000 amps I still own, because they are very good with other headphones, but aren't ideal with the Sennheiser HD600/650/800 or high impedance Beyers and AKGs, where the Crack really excels. And with all of my gear (check my profile), I do 95% of my listening with my HD800s and the Crack.

The one thing I would note is that the HD700s are 150 Ohm, which is really on the border of Bottlehead's recommendations (I think the Crack is recommended for cans over 120 Ohms). In any case, I would recommend either the HD600s or the HD800s over the HD700s. The HD700s were the most comfortable cans I've ever tried, but the HD800s over significantly better performance, while the HD600s offer comparable (I actually preferred the HD600s) performance at a much lower cost.

Best regards,
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back