Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jun 23, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #1,906 of 12,347
What DAC ar you guys using with the Crack.  I'm thinking about getting a DAC to pair with my Mac Mini.   
was thinking about starting cheap with either the ODAC, Schiit Modi, or HRT MS II.  Also considering using Amarra with this setup.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'll be using my HD600's with it.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #1,907 of 12,347
Quote:
What DAC ar you guys using with the Crack.  I'm thinking about getting a DAC to pair with my Mac Mini.   
was thinking about starting cheap with either the ODAC, Schiit Modi, or HRT MS II.  Also considering using Amarra with this setup.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

I used to use the HRT MS II, and I found the ODAC was very similar to it.  (I imagine the Modi would be as well.)

I'm currently using the HRT MS II+, which is noticeably better than the HRT MS II.  More detailed, better soundstage, etc.

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #1,909 of 12,347
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm using the ODAC with my Crack.  I find it to be a terrific DAC that doesn't feel like a bottleneck in the slightest.  In fact, I prefer to use the ODAC over the Violectric V800 with the BH Crack (why?  I'm not entirely sure.. I just like the synergy more for some reason).  I'm tempted to upgrade but it's really difficult to make the move cause the ODAC isn't giving me a reason to buy something else.  It's exceptionally clean, compact, and transparent.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,910 of 12,347
I went ahead and ordered the Schiit Modi.  It should be here by Friday. I've heard many good things about it, and at $99 it will be my entry into the DAC world.  A no brainer I think.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #1,911 of 12,347
Just a friendly reminder if you guys decide to buy a 6SN7 to 12AU7 adapter (8 pin to 9 pin) from e-bay.  Do not buy it from Lowther Club.  I got one that was crooked and had a glob of solder on one of the pins.  Perhaps mine was a fluke but apparently it's not because he thought it was just fine

After sending him pictures which he asked for his reply was.  It's hand made it's not going to be perfect and to just scrape the solder off or cycle the tube in and out of the socket with the solde glob on there
blink.gif
.  I wasn't looking for perfection, I just wanted it to be straight.  I had to open a case with e-bay and the guy has been antagonistic towards me and he is the seller.  After I told him to stop e-mailing me he continues to do so.  Do not buy from this guy.  Bad dude!  

To be fair i did call him a moron and an idiot
biggrin.gif
 (dude was relentless).   I did so after he accused me of saying that I expected a full refund and that I was not going to send it back, which I did not.  Anyway e-bay is well aware of what is going on, but I thought I should warn you guys.

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #1,912 of 12,347
Quote:
I went ahead and ordered the Schiit Modi.  It should be here by Friday. I've heard many good things about it, and at $99 it will be my entry into the DAC world.  A no brainer I think.
bigsmile_face.gif

It's definetly a no brainer
I just got delivery ,yesterday of the Magni,I was totally amazed at the SQ.
I'm using it with the Uber Bifrost & the HD800's
I've had a few Schiit amps ,Lyr,Mjolnir,now this..it even drives my Maddogs,perfectly.

Going to order the M&M combo ,for my daughter ,whose in college-it will be perfect for her dorm audio setup.

Good luck Dark Helmet,with the new toy

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #1,913 of 12,347
I am running a G.E. JAN 5998A Sylvania JAN 6080WC (black plate) power tube right now.  Rolled in an Amperex 12AU7 as the driver tube.  Result was a very solid state sounding amp.  My Crack has the Speedball upgrade and 100uF metallized polypropylene output capacitors.

I then switched to a G.E. E80CC driver and it resulted in a very different sounding amp to me.  More tubey, better sound stage, just more fun to listen to.

EDIT - I should have put my glasses on, the actual power tube I am running is a Sylvania JAN 6080WC (black plate)

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #1,914 of 12,347
It's definetly a no brainer
I just got delivery ,yesterday of the Magni,I was totally amazed at the SQ.
I'm using it with the Uber Bifrost & the HD800's
I've had a few Schiit amps ,Lyr,Mjolnir,now this..it even drives my Maddogs,perfectly.

Going to order the M&M combo ,for my daughter ,whose in college-it will be perfect for her dorm audio setup.

Good luck Dark Helmet,with the new toy

Mike,

Is there a slight imperfection, a spot that looks irregular about 3/4 of an inch from the left curve cutout on the Magni?

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #1,915 of 12,347
I am running a G.E. JAN 5998A power tube right now.  Rolled in an Amperex 12AU7 as the driver tube.  Result was a very solid state sounding amp.  My Crack has the Speedball upgrade and 100uF metallized polypropylene output capacitors.

I then switched to a G.E. E80CC driver and it resulted in a very different sounding amp to me.  More tubey, better sound stage, just more fun to listen to.

The E80CC will be the next tube I try. I've tried the BH7 and I liked but it subdued the output and the soundstage a bit. I'm currently using an RCA clear top 12AU7 with an RCA 6AS7G.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #1,916 of 12,347
Quote:
Mike,

Is there a slight imperfection, a spot that looks irregular about 3/4 of an inch from the left curve cutout on the Magni?

Nope

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #1,918 of 12,347
My irregularity looks  pretty regular to me???

Are you referring to the curve in the metal  base??

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #1,920 of 12,347
Quote:
No, just to the right of the left cutout about 3/4 of an inch away on the straight edge, there is a spot that sticks down a bit.

I can see what you mean, but..........

Seriously? I mean that actually bothers you? ~10,000 children die of starvation every day, and that tiny little imperfection on a $99 product is what occupies your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back