Cozoy Aegis - 192kHz 24bit DAC/amp - Compatible with Android and iOS!
Aug 12, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #106 of 789
Playing a little more with the Aegis tonight.

First connected it to a Linux box - actually a netbook running a Debian stable derivative.  Recognised as soon as plugged.  Switched ALSA output to the Aegis.  Fired up Clementine - music playing - no fuss, no issues - really nice.  Plugged T1's in for a laugh, and it's actually driving them pretty well.  Volume on the mixer is around 75%, and around 85% within Clementine. Very clean sounding.  I really like it.

BUT - this time it is a bit warmer to touch (not a biggie), and the volume control issues continue.  Mixer - when I move the sliders - moves up in set increments (and the intervals are big jumps).  When I use Clementine's software control though, the increments are nice and smooth.  So it appears whenever Aegis interacts with the host controller, it jumps the volume in direct intervals, it's not smooth, and it's not exactly friendly unless you have software controls.

I'd imagine that this one issue could be a deal breaker to many.  Which is a pity - because it genuinely sounds fantastic otherwise.

Going to try Windows drivers next.

Our experience is lining up perfectly. With UNIX, Aegis works with built in drivers.

System volume control has discrete steps in volume that are quite far apart.

This is easily handled by setting System Volume to a medium-low setting and controlling the volume in your media player. This results in smooth volume control.

Seriously wish there was fine-grained volume control with iOS devices, as that's really where I see the Aegis being most useful.

would you drop some words on Aegis vs PaT in sound signature terms?

Will do when I get the time. I'm heading into intermittent internet connectivity for about a week, though...

I'll be running Aegis with Android devices mainly. With the help of UAPP  (USB Audio Player Pro) I may be able to control the volume using hardware volume controls.

Was a similar situation with Astrapi, not so much being too loud, though limited to only 16 steps I believe.

Once using UAPP I had full control of the volume (at least for an Android device)

Aegis seems to have even fewer steps. I've just used IEM, so I don't want to fully crank it up and blow my hearing out like avitron142 got :eek:

Maybe Brooko can tell us how many steps there are with Aegis on his iPhone with high-impedance cans. I'm estimating its just 8-10 steps.

Cozoy did suggest trying alternate iOS music apps like Kaisertone or neplayer, however those are $10 and $15 apps and I'm not convinced they'll solve the issue. If only I could try them without buying...

Plus, these won't help people who want to use Aegis with streaming services!

If anyone knows of an iOS app that works to provide fine volume control with Astrapi, let me know. I'd much rather Cozoy engineer a device that meets user expectations for how volume control works, but I'd still like to give Aegis a fair shake as a mobile device...

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #107 of 789
Our experience is lining up perfectly. With UNIX, Aegis works with built in drivers.

System volume control has discrete steps in volume that are quite far apart.

This is easily handled by setting System Volume to a medium-low setting and controlling the volume in your media player. This results in smooth volume control.

Seriously wish there was fine-grained volume control with iOS devices, as that's really where I see the Aegis being most useful.
Will do when I get the time. I'm heading into intermittent internet connectivity for about a week, though...
Aegis seems to have even fewer steps. I've just used IEM, so I don't want to fully crank it up and blow my hearing out like @avitron142 got
eek.gif

Maybe @Brooko can tell us how many steps there are with Aegis on his iPhone with high-impedance cans. I'm estimating its just 8-10 steps.

Cozoy did suggest trying alternate iOS music apps like Kaisertone or neplayer, however those are $10 and $15 apps and I'm not convinced they'll solve the issue. If only I could try them without buying...

Plus, these won't help people who want to use Aegis with streaming services!

If anyone knows of an iOS app that works to provide fine volume control with Astrapi, let me know. I'd much rather Cozoy engineer a device that meets user expectations for how volume control works, but I'd still like to give Aegis a fair shake as a mobile device...

There is a phenomenon called root/jailbreaking 
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #108 of 789
There is a phenomenon called root/jailbreaking :D

I'm totally down with jailbreaking and have done that in the past until my workplace clamped down on jailbreaking. Don't work there anymore and would be up for jailbreaking but am on iOS 9 beta right now. Not sure if there're jailbreaks for iOS 9 betas yet.

Anyhow, let me know what jailbreak tweak(s) would help, and I'll look into it.

However, this isn't a real-world solution for most consumers - especially for an MFI-certified product.

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #109 of 789
I'm totally down with jailbreaking and have done that in the past until my workplace clamped down on jailbreaking. Don't work there anymore and would be up for jailbreaking but am on iOS 9 beta right now. Not sure if there're jailbreaks for iOS 9 betas yet.

Anyhow, let me know what jailbreak tweak(s) would help, and I'll look into it.

However, this isn't a real-world solution for most consumers - especially for an MFI-certified product.

Absolutely - reviews that recommend jailbreaking are cringe-worthy. I only root, and have only done so a few times, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Anyway, Cozoy is very persistent on bringing everything to the sound instead of dedicating themselves to being user-friendly. I just hope people will be okay with the volume skips and all that, for me it pretty much ruined it.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #110 of 789
Absolutely - reviews that recommend jailbreaking are cringe-worthy. I only root, and have only done so a few times, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Anyway, Cozoy is very persistent on bringing everything to the sound instead of dedicating themselves to being user-friendly. I just hope people will be okay with the volume skips and all that, for me it pretty much ruined it.

It certainly makes it more difficult (but not impossible) to enjoy on a mobile platform...

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #112 of 789
on iphone you could use the slider (drag up menu) and that would be easier (applying to all streaming apps....)

Nope - volume still does same - moves in steps.
Maybe @Brooko can tell us how many steps there are with Aegis on his iPhone with high-impedance cans. I'm estimating its just 8-10 steps.

Problem is getting it done without blowing your eardrums out .....

Solution - use the E17K as well - so I can lower the volume 
wink.gif
.  OK - 

From mute - 1 click to lowest level
2nd click goes up another level
3rd click does nothing
4th click goes up a level
5th click does nothing
6th click goes up a level
7th click does nothing
8th click goes up a level
9th click does nothing
10th click does nothing
11th click goes up a level
12th click does nothing
13th click goes up a level
14th click does nothing
15th click goes up a level
16th click does nothing

7 levels - not user friendly with this i-device.

Again - pity - love the sound and the form factor.  It is a shame this has crippled it.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #113 of 789
And to anyone who maybe thinks I'm being extreme with this comment

Again - pity - love the sound and the form factor.  It is a shame this has crippled it.

I can't currently use iPhone 5S > Aegis > DN2000J with native player in iPhone - lowest level is too loud.

I shouldn't need to have to use a third party app.

Crippled.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #114 of 789
Nope - volume still does same - moves in steps.

Problem is getting it done without blowing your eardrums out .....

Solution - use the E17K as well - so I can lower the volume :wink: .  OK - 

From mute - 1 click to lowest level
2nd click goes up another level
3rd click does nothing
4th click goes up a level
5th click does nothing
6th click goes up a level
7th click does nothing
8th click goes up a level
9th click does nothing
10th click does nothing
11th click goes up a level
12th click does nothing
13th click goes up a level
14th click does nothing
15th click goes up a level
16th click does nothing

Even worse than I thought...

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #115 of 789
I measured the temperature of my Aegis after 30 minutes of use 100.5 degrees F. which Cozoy said was normal. I am no longer concerned about the temp and am using it as my desktop DAC which is working out well. I am running a Linux OS with VLC Media player and experience smooth volume control with no jumps or spikes of volume.

I really wanted to use it with my phone for streaming music, but due to the high current draw, that is not feasible. Astrapi is working just fine with my phone and is very easy on power.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #116 of 789
I guess you could use an inline volume control from the headphone out of Aegis and between your headphones, though this isn't really an ideal solution.

It would prevent you guys blowing your ears out though.

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #118 of 789
Yeah, shouldn't really have to do that though…

Anyway, I'll see how it goes with Android which has this sofware volume slider  control. (UAPP)

And for anyone who does want an inline control you can find one here for $1.00.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171103151414?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm not saying this is the savour of Aegis, just helping you guys prevent being blasted.

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #119 of 789
  I guess you could use an inline volume control from the headphone out of Aegis and between your headphones, though this isn't really an ideal solution.

It would prevent you guys blowing your ears out though.

I have a Shure attenuator / volume control - so I guess that's an option.  Just more daisy-chaining though 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back