Cozoy Aegis - 192kHz 24bit DAC/amp - Compatible with Android and iOS!
Aug 12, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #121 of 789
you sh
you should because the original app sound real bad....

What are you talking about?  If you mean the default app in the iPhone, how can it sound "bad" - when I'm using the Aegis as the DAC?

And honestly - even without the Aegis the iPhone 5S sounds good - no it sounds great.  Ever done a blind, level matched comparison? 

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #122 of 789
But other than being crippled and limited from using efficient or sensitive headphones, it should work OK with high impedance and low sensitive or "demanding" planar magnetic cans?  If that is a case, sounds like Cozoy/Shozy is following a model of GeekOut amps with GO100..450..720..1000 with individual products corresponding to max power intended for different applications.  GO100 is like Astrapi while GO1000 is like Aegis :)

They should have implemented a gain switch with Aegis :frowning2:  Again, I'm drawing my conclusion based on what I'm reading in this thread, while still waiting to receive my review sample...

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #123 of 789
But other than being crippled and limited from using efficient or sensitive headphones, it should work OK with high impedance and low sensitive or "demanding" planar magnetic cans?  If that is a case, sounds like Cozoy/Shozy is following a model of GeekOut amps with GO100..450..720..1000 with individual products corresponding to max power intended for different applications.  GO100 is like Astrapi while GO1000 is like Aegis :)

They should have implemented a gain switch with Aegis :frowning2:  Again, I'm drawing my conclusion based on what I'm reading in this thread, while still waiting to receive my review sample...

My understanding was that Aegis would work well out of my iPhone with IEM and planars. With limited volume control and no gain setting, this is proving quite difficult.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #124 of 789
on iphone you could use the slider (drag up menu) and that would be easier (applying to all streaming apps....)

I'll try that, however using the slider in the music app doesn't apply a smooth, linear volume increase. Instead, as you drag your finger along you have sections of the slider where the volume remains the same and then all of a sudden it jumps up several dB. Basically, it's just like using the volume buttons...

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #125 of 789
Can anyone share their experiences with the battery drain while using Aegis vs not using one?

like for example:
Phone only- Music only, screen off: x minutes
With Aegis- Music only, screen off: x minutes

Phone only- Music on & browsing internet: x minutes
With Aegis- Music on & browsing internet: x minutes

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #126 of 789
What are you talking about?  If you mean the default app in the iPhone, how can it sound "bad" - when I'm using the Aegis as the DAC?

And honestly - even without the Aegis the iPhone 5S sounds good - no it sounds great.  Ever done a blind, level matched comparison? 

just try kaisertone / neplayer, no bs
programming and the app's internal processing (on the original app, anything) does matter

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #127 of 789
just try kaisertone / neplayer, no bs
programming and the app's internal processing (on the original app, anything) does matter

Again - before I shell out money on an app I don't need  - already have Equaliser, Equ and Accudio Pro - have you ever done a proper volume matched (spl meter - not "by ear") blind comparison? Because if you haven't - and if it's not a blatantly obvious difference - then I really can't see the point.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #128 of 789

Again - before I shell out money on an app I don't need  - already have Equaliser, Equ and Accudio Pro - have you ever done a proper volume matched (spl meter - not "by ear") blind comparison? Because if you haven't - and if it's not a blatantly obvious difference - then I really can't see the point.

I have a theory that in Windows, on Foobar2000 you can adjust the slider volume without it being matched to the system volume - sort of like youtube's volume bar on videos. Perhaps you could try youtube's slider bar and see if it makes a difference - for the sake of science of course 
biggrin.gif
 It is a real pain though to get apps that adjust volume not relative to the system volume. I know they ad a huge hit with the Alien, despite its drawbacks, but the Alien was somewhat usable with IEM's, lol.

Geek Out 1000 comparisons are as such - it's hard for me to do them, because it's so hard to find the perfect volume with the Aegis, but here goes:

The GO is more detailed, and has a more refined soundstage - almost rigid-like, which something I wasn't a fan of. The Aegis is "sweeter" and more inviting, however it does lose out on details. You can tell by the sound sig that the Aegis's sound is meant for IEM's. It still sounds nice with the HE400S though.

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #129 of 789
  I have a theory that in Windows, on Foobar2000 you can adjust the slider volume without it being matched to the system volume - sort of like youtube's volume bar on videos. Perhaps you could try youtube's slider bar and see if it makes a difference - for the sake of science of course 
biggrin.gif
 It is a real pain though to get apps that adjust volume not relative to the system volume. I know they ad a huge hit with the Alien, despite its drawbacks, but the Alien was somewhat usable with IEM's, lol.

Yep - it's the difference between volume controls linked to hardware vs software.

In Accudio its linked to the hardware, so that app doesn't help.  Equaliser comes with a software preamp slider, so that gives me minute adjustment, and works really well. @NLNH is right that both the apps he's recommending will allow a software volume control. That they sound better is debatable.  I've found that most apps seem to give better EQ options, library management, or other features - but in my experience (unless they are deliberately colouring the sound & you prefer that colouration), the default app is sonically just as good.

My point was though - as long as you don't have some sort of DSP happening in your app of choice, all they are doing is sending the digital signal to the Aegis DAC.  So sans EQ/colouration, they should all sound the same.

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #132 of 789
Very positive impressions here via windows and note 4 using usb music player pro.
Volume is touchy but assisted by enabling eq and setting gain to minimum.

Enjoying it greatly with my asg2.5

Will post aome thoughts after some time with it tomorrow

Yeah right, I see what you're doing there with UAPP.

What about when you just use the hardware volume sliders like I showed above? (no EQ / gain)

Does the volume run smoothly from very low - to high? Or is it jumpy in stages still?

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #134 of 789
Hardware volume controls dont work for me, only software

Yes, I've made a mistake (got hardware and software mixed up).

When using just the software volume slider in UAPP, gain off, EQ off, (is it smooth?)

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #135 of 789
Yeah right, I see what you're doing there with UAPP.

What about when you just use the hardware volume sliders like I showed above? (no EQ / gain)

Does the volume run smoothly from very low - to high? Or is it jumpy in stages still?

Haha well if i am honest i didnt check your picture as i was doing a quick sneaky reply while wifey was out of the room lol.
i think it was smoother. However i bound it to the hardware buttons on the phone which then in turn made it jumpy again lol.
i am just about to put my young fella to bed then i will have another listen while the wife is dancing.
will report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back