Cozoy Aegis - 192kHz 24bit DAC/amp - Compatible with Android and iOS!
Aug 13, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #136 of 789
I am going to give this little guy some time and if i am still happy will move my x3ii.
i am holding off not because of the sound, just because the note 4 is a big phone on its own and i nearly had a break down last time i tried to use it with a dac. That being said the aegis is tiny. Much smaller than I was expecting.

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #137 of 789
I am going to give this little guy some time and if i am still happy will move my x3ii.
i am holding off not because of the sound, just because the note 4 is a big phone on its own and i nearly had a break down last time i tried to use it with a dac. That being said the aegis is tiny. Much smaller than I was expecting.

That's how I felt with Astrapi when used with my ER4S.

It was like: "Watchu doin iBasso DX50, you're not exactly blowing Astrapi away here"

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #138 of 789

Yep - it's the difference between volume controls linked to hardware vs software.

In Accudio its linked to the hardware, so that app doesn't help.  Equaliser comes with a software preamp slider, so that gives me minute adjustment, and works really well. @NLNH is right that both the apps he's recommending will allow a software volume control. That they sound better is debatable.  I've found that most apps seem to give better EQ options, library management, or other features - but in my experience (unless they are deliberately colouring the sound & you prefer that colouration), the default app is sonically just as good.

My point was though - as long as you don't have some sort of DSP happening in your app of choice, all they are doing is sending the digital signal to the Aegis DAC.  So sans EQ/colouration, they should all sound the same.

These apps are definitely not sounding the same, try it yourself seriously, just 10 bucks, don't debate, try 
wink.gif

no matter what causes the different, there is some very audible difference

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #139 of 789
Sorry won't get a chance for another test tonight but will do so tomorrow.
I am on android so a little different but my pick for listening is:
Neutron for headphone out
Usb audio player pro for external dac.

With the aegis uap definitely sounds best. After it google play music, stock player, power amp all sound sketchy.
Neutron less so but uap still has it beat by quite a margin.

That being said on my note 4 i found the volume easier to manage on the lesser sounding apps than uap.

Oh well lol. Low gain in uap helps to manage that.

Re: battery drain, i thought it was very reasonable dropping 22% in 1h45m while browsing screen on in low reception area on the train.

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #140 of 789

These apps are definitely not sounding the same, try it yourself seriously, just 10 bucks, don't debate, try 
wink.gif

no matter what causes the different, there is some very audible difference

For your experience which one is sounding the best?

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #142 of 789

Kaisertone / Neplayer

But whether it matches your liking really depends....
Kaisertone is a bit clearer imo (just a tiny bit more transparency)

Thanks for the reply @NLNH  
beerchug.gif

I believe it also depends on the platform which you're using (too).

You're an ios user , correct? Because no Kaisertone player on the Google PlayStore. And Neplayer's ratings are not so high at the PlayStore (one needs to check directly in order to be sure).

I have been using UAPP (paid version) and tried many of them... For my needs UAPP was the answer. But I remember that I love the sound from Rocket player and Denon player too.

EDIT: I have checked and see that Neplayer supports up to 24/192. Suitble for Cozoy.
But anyone who needs DSD is going to need the UAPP. Recent UAPP supports up to DSD (I have checked this with a GO720 sometime ago and yes it was working).

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #143 of 789

beerchug.gif

You're an ios user , correct? Because no Kaisertone player on the Google PlayStore. And Neplayer's ratings are not so high at the PlayStore (one needs to check directly in order to be sure).

I have been using UAPP (paid version) and tried many of them... For my needs UAPP was the answer. But I remember that I love the sound from Rocket player and Denon player too.

yah i have tried all 
beerchug.gif

just test them out, using different apps definitely makes a difference

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #144 of 789
  I have a theory that in Windows, on Foobar2000 you can adjust the slider volume without it being matched to the system volume - sort of like youtube's volume bar on videos. Perhaps you could try youtube's slider bar and see if it makes a difference - for the sake of science of course 
biggrin.gif
 It is a real pain though to get apps that adjust volume not relative to the system volume. I know they ad a huge hit with the Alien, despite its drawbacks, but the Alien was somewhat usable with IEM's, lol.

Geek Out 1000 comparisons are as such - it's hard for me to do them, because it's so hard to find the perfect volume with the Aegis, but here goes:

The GO is more detailed, and has a more refined soundstage - almost rigid-like, which something I wasn't a fan of. The Aegis is "sweeter" and more inviting, however it does lose out on details. You can tell by the sound sig that the Aegis's sound is meant for IEM's. It still sounds nice with the HE400S though.

Thanks,

that actually brought my attention more to GO, bcs I plan to use DAC/AMP with R2A which are already sweet, smooth, laid-back sounding. Pairing with more detailed GO would be suitable IMHO.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #145 of 789

beerchug.gif

EDIT: I have checked and see that Neplayer supports up to 24/192. Suitble for Cozoy.
But anyone who needs DSD is going to need the UAPP. Recent UAPP supports up to DSD (I have checked this with a GO720 sometime ago and yes it was working).

Also there is the Onkyo HF player. The version that supports 16/44.1 is free, the version that supports 24/192 and DSD is paid thought. But you can have an idea on hoe it sounds using the free version. It's so much better than the stock player, better than the Poweramp and on par with Neutron IMHO.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #146 of 789
Also there is the Onkyo HF player. The version that supports 16/44.1 is free, the version that supports 24/192 and DSD is paid thought. But you can have an idea on hoe it sounds using the free version. It's so much better than the stock player, better than the Poweramp and on par with Neutron IMHO.

Is the Onkyo HF Player able to be used with streaming music or only saved files? I haven't yet found any apps that can be used with streaming music.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #149 of 789
Few thoughts on the Aegis:

Pros:
  1. Really great sounding little thing
  2. Compact and tiny
  3. Good amount of power for such a small thing
  4. Fairly easy to use
Cons:
  1. Incredibly buggy with UACC (frequent crashes)
  2. Volume is tricky to use
  3. A lot of hiss with sensitive IEMs (e.g.) FAD Heaven VI
  4. Massive power draw

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #150 of 789
Few thoughts on the Aegis:
Pros:
  • Really great sounding little thing
  • Compact and tiny
  • Good amount of power for such a small thing
  • Fairly easy to use
Cons:
  • Incredibly buggy with UACC (frequent crashes)
  • Volume is tricky to use
  • A lot of hiss with sensitive IEMs (e.g.) FAD Heaven VI

AGREE with the exception of UACC (or whatever) because I'm an iOS user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back