Cozoy Aegis - 192kHz 24bit DAC/amp - Compatible with Android and iOS!
Dec 28, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #739 of 789
50 euro for volume app

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #740 of 789
Dec 29, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #743 of 789
I tested and picked up one of these guys while I was in HK this past week. I had a couple questions - has anyone gotten the firmware update/software to work? I downloaded and installed (via setup.exe and setup1.exe) on my Windows 10 system. I get two apps, CozoyAegis (BRAVO-HD Audio Control Panel), which shows up blank, and COZOY-UAC Audio CPL (COZOY-UAC Audio Control Panel) which has stuff for me to select (bit-rate, frequency-rate, and buffer size) but shows the ASIO Device as "Not Available" and State as "UNLOAD." I'm less interested in high bit-rate for desktop usage (I have a good desktop dac/amp already), just being able to see and upgrade the firmware.  Am I misunderstanding what they mean by firmware (ie, do they just mean Windows drivers, and not device firmware)?

The second thing I noticed (it was not a problem with the RHA T10i's I've been traveling/tested with when I bought the Aegis), is that my Aegis seems to not play nice with some IEMs - Noble K10s, Campfire Jupiter seem to have a soft high pitched (like a soft 10KHz) tone when plugged into the Aegis. Others, like the Savant, Oriolus, FitEar 334s seemed fine. Is this normal? I dropped Cozoy a line, and they didn't seem to really clear it up (they told me to "trust my ears," not sure they'd like the answer there), so just wondering if anyone else has encountered this? Maybe I just have a bum unit? Has anyone else auditioned a bunch of IEMs with this?

(Besides the known issues (runs down my 6S battery very quickly, volume adjustment), I do like the sound - noticeably better extension, instrument separation, very clean, and it fixes the 6S's noise chatter issues w/ the super low impedance IEMs I tested.)

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #745 of 789
  I tested and picked up one of these guys while I was in HK this past week. I had a couple questions - has anyone gotten the firmware update/software to work? I downloaded and installed (via setup.exe and setup1.exe) on my Windows 10 system. I get two apps, CozoyAegis (BRAVO-HD Audio Control Panel), which shows up blank, and COZOY-UAC Audio CPL (COZOY-UAC Audio Control Panel) which has stuff for me to select (bit-rate, frequency-rate, and buffer size) but shows the ASIO Device as "Not Available" and State as "UNLOAD." I'm less interested in high bit-rate for desktop usage (I have a good desktop dac/amp already), just being able to see and upgrade the firmware.  Am I misunderstanding what they mean by firmware (ie, do they just mean Windows drivers, and not device firmware)?

That's correct.

The second thing I noticed (it was not a problem with the RHA T10i's I've been traveling/tested with when I bought the Aegis), is that my Aegis seems to not play nice with some IEMs - Noble K10s, Campfire Jupiter seem to have a soft high pitched (like a soft 10KHz) tone when plugged into the Aegis. Others, like the Savant, Oriolus, FitEar 334s seemed fine. Is this normal? I dropped Cozoy a line, and they didn't seem to really clear it up (they told me to "trust my ears," not sure they'd like the answer there), so just wondering if anyone else has encountered this? Maybe I just have a bum unit? Has anyone else auditioned a bunch of IEMs with this?

That should be normal. Some IEM are hiss prone, especially CIEM, and it makes worst by a high gain device such as Aegis.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #746 of 789
Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess worth keeping in mind to audition the Aegis w/ the cans you want to plug in them before ordering!

Luckily, of all the IEMs I auditioned, I liked the FitEar TG334's the best (the K10s were better put together, but the 334's lush mids and imaging really blew me back), which seems to pair pretty well. I'll be spending some time in Japan so will be trying to snag an order there (ALO in the US prices the 334's at $1399, was 8900HKD ($1148) in HK, but sadly I wouldn't be around to take delivery, and it's ¥111,000 ($921) in Japan (requires a JP id/alien registration card to order, and 1mo delivery)).

@nmatheis sadly, I think I've been to too many live shows to have much super high-end hearing left, but I *did* just get a good ear cleaning earlier in the week. :)

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #747 of 789
is there a right angle cable for it? or where do you buy a replacement cable for iphone?

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #748 of 789
Honestly, after all the recent conversation I pulled out my Aegis this evening attached to a Note 3. With ClieOS' output impedance measurement in mind I confidently plugged in my 11ohm Fidue A83. Apart from some minor background noise this little Aegis can put on a fine show, right up there In sound quality terms.

So, @H20Fidelity, as a current Windows Phone user, the Aegis has been strictly on laptop duty for me (and I love it!), but I will be returning to Android in the next 4-5 months. How would you compare the sound from the Android + Aegis combo to the sound from the Pono?

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #749 of 789

So, @H20Fidelity, as a current Windows Phone user, the Aegis has been strictly on laptop duty for me (and I love it!), but I will be returning to Android in the next 4-5 months. How would you compare the sound from the Android + Aegis combo to the sound from the Pono?

I find Pono a little more polished around the edges, perhaps in areas like refinement and the overall presentation, its ability to create layering on the left/right channels. Areas such as soundstage width and bass texture are more mature. Pono does a good job at keeping detail levels around DX90 levels but whatever Ayre did with the tuning and hardware makes it a not fatiguing sound at the same time. I also feel (personally) with the correct pairing Pono is more detailed than Cayin N6, at least its retrieval with vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back