COWON Z2 - The complete Review (from Izzi going)
Jun 26, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #302 of 542
hello everyone.. :D i already have my z2 for a couple week, and everyhting was good.. but i have a problem when i try to do data transfer via bluetooth from my notebook, my z2 sometimes restarting itself..anyone have the same problem with me? whereas i have upgrading mw z2 firmware to the last update (4.33).

and, sorry for my bad grammar..
confused_face.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #303 of 542
Would  it be worth it to get a fiio e17 to use with the cowon z2? With the jet effect 5 I'd assume you wouldn't want a portable dac with it, and the e17 wouldn't act as a dac. Would it be worth it to get it as an amp to use with the z2?
And with the z2 could you still use the bass and treble on the 17? 

Sorry if i've got dac muddled up/don't make sense I don't completely understand it. 

I'll try and rephrase it:

Should I get the Fiio E17 to use with the cowon z2?
What features of the E17 can I not use when using it with the z2? (Since its not a dac when connected to the z2 does that mean I can't use certain features or will i be able to use all the features?)

I'm planning on using ATH-M50's with them.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #304 of 542
Quote:
Would  it be worth it to get a fiio e17 to use with the cowon z2? With the jet effect 5 I'd assume you wouldn't want a portable dac with it, and the e17 wouldn't act as a dac. Would it be worth it to get it as an amp to use with the z2?
And with the z2 could you still use the bass and treble on the 17? 

Sorry if i've got dac muddled up/don't make sense I don't completely understand it. 

I'll try and rephrase it:

Should I get the Fiio E17 to use with the cowon z2?
What features of the E17 can I not use when using it with the z2? (Since its not a dac when connected to the z2 does that mean I can't use certain features or will i be able to use all the features?)

I'm planning on using ATH-M50's with them.

You will be double amping, not sure if it would be your cup of tea, why not get an audition for it?
Jet effect is good in the sense of it's BBE settings etc, but if u don't use enhancements, jet effect is just a normal music player. I personally use all sorts of EQ and enhancements to make up for my iem's shortcomings but i always find enhancements sounding artificial.

On my Z2, i'm using neutron music player with it and have never looked back since.

Just for myself, i've never found fiio to be helpful in the high end audio, they're the most value-for-money amps out there but they pales in comparisons to ibasso and higher offerings.

A suggestion, go try out neutron and decide on the amp again.

Jun 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #306 of 542
I'm only a few days away from the Z2 arriving at my store here in Canada. I'm actually really excited, reading the reviews, seeing the pictures and stuff!

But... I'm not sure if I want to pay a retailer's price. And Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada. Amazon.ca doesn't even have the item(s).

Reading through some of the posts, I'm really deciding between a J3 and a Z2...

Jun 30, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #308 of 542
Gapless playback is if in a album there is song 1 and song 2.
song 2 is meant to play right after song 1 with no gap

with gapless playback there will be no gap
without there will be a gap or a click or something

web definition: Gapless playback is the uninterrupted playback of consecutive audio tracks, such that relative time distances in the original audio source are preserved over track boundaries on playback.

@muscular I've tried researching amps for M50 and amps in general but always end up looking at Fiio amps. Could you give me some suggestions on amps to look up to buy with M50's. Also what did you mean the E17 might not suit me?

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #309 of 542
Quote:
Gapless playback is if in a album there is song 1 and song 2.
song 2 is meant to play right after song 1 with no gap

with gapless playback there will be no gap
without there will be a gap or a click or something

web definition: Gapless playback is the uninterrupted playback of consecutive audio tracks, such that relative time distances in the original audio source are preserved over track boundaries on playback.

@muscular I've tried researching amps for M50 and amps in general but always end up looking at Fiio amps. Could you give me some suggestions on amps to look up to buy with M50's. Also what did you mean the E17 might not suit me?

Are u looking at increasing ur setup's sound quality?

I've tried some amps and most of them don't do too great a difference to justify a purchase, they include the ibasso PB2 as well as the pico range.
But i have make some good results through certain iem and headphones.

That said, pairing am amp with z2, u might not get much SQ improvement but rather, just volume increase.

Do go and try out neutron, it was what made me settle for an ampless setup, the default jetaudio seems to have a deficiency in the higher frequencies, which was present on my previously owned J3 as well.

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #310 of 542
Quote:
Are u looking at increasing ur setup's sound quality?

I've tried some amps and most of them don't do too great a difference to justify a purchase, they include the ibasso PB2 as well as the pico range.
But i have make some good results through certain iem and headphones.

That said, pairing am amp with z2, u might not get much SQ improvement but rather, just volume increase.

Do go and try out neutron, it was what made me settle for an ampless setup, the default jetaudio seems to have a deficiency in the higher frequencies, which was present on my previously owned J3 as well.

I will need a portable amp and I was hoping to try and improve the mids from being so recessed and thought the amp would also be useful if I decided to turn into a basshead. Also turning up the volume is important as I want to be able to listen to music loud but the mids are the priority I guess. With the amp I thought the M50's would be even better headphones under £200 and comparable to £300-400 headphones. If it helps the M50's are likely to be used for a long time, I'm not going to change headphones for a while however I'm looking for a permanent amp that'll I'll most likely not replace.
I will try neutron but like an idiot the idea of an amp is stuck in my head and I feel like I have to get an amp now.

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #312 of 542
Hi,
I also have this problem. It's driving me nuts! The Z2 doesn't recognise Artists or artwork on some of my music. I don't have an SD card in so it's all on the internal memory. Have you found a solution to this? I'd love to know.

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #313 of 542
This is a confusing device for me. It's my first Android device.

I'm trying to update the firmware which tells me to put it in the ROOT directory.

Where is the "root" directory? Apparently putting the update (which is in a zip file which I extracted the files out of) in the main Z2 folder does not work. I have plugged in my USB Wall adapter and I have gone to the "about Z2" section to attempt to update the firmware but it says "no update files in internal memory".

Please help!!

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #314 of 542
The root directory is the main folder of the internal memory, and the update.zip needs to be copied in its entirety in order to update.  Technically, it shouldn't matter what directory you place the update.zip in as long as the zip file is intact (can't remember at the moment whether cowon puts a restriction on this, as it won't even update without AC power).  Anyways, keep the zip file intact and it should flash fine.

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #315 of 542
^ Thanks for the info.

I managed to figure out using the CowonAmerica website which showed the step-by-step guide to it with some pictures. I guess I wasn't smart enough for the main Cowon website's instructions haha!

Now I need to start installing Neutron or what's it called - am I right?

Also how the hell do I get rid of these sound effect soundbits from my music folder? I get interrupted once in a while with device sound effects that shouldn't be there at all.

How do you use the Z2 as an internet phone? What do I put under "server"? I'm confused..

Many thanks for the answers/replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back