COWON Z2 - The complete Review (from Izzi going)
Jul 15, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #541 of 542
Discussion died for some reason?  I don't feel like going through many pages of reading, sorry.

A quick search showed no info on the battery so I'll add it: it is a 51x51x6mm 3.7V 1950mAH battery.  Almost no room for something that's even 52x52mm.  Looks like a bigger version of what my J3 has.  So anyone wanting to replace the battery himself later should take these numbers into account.  Replacing the battery will require removing three 1.27mm hex screws: one by the USB socket and two covered by plastic squares at the top (remove these squares with a safety pin), the factory leaves the screws on very tight.  The screen together with the motherboard and battery and all must be carefully wedged out then, make sure to remove your SD card prior to trying to wedge it out to avoid the risk of damaging, along with the device being off, of course.

The battery's leads (one white, one brown) are terminated to a tiny Molex-like connector; you'll probably want to snip it off and carefully reterminate a new battery with it so the battery can be plugged into the male socket on the motherboard.  Heatshrink/liquid electrical tape will be needed to shield the joints from each other and Z2's internals.  I forgot to check the polarity of the leads.

Also, I can't download applications at all from the Play Market without the Market instantly crashing if I try.

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #542 of 542
Discussion died for some reason? I don't feel like going through many pages of reading, sorry.

A quick search showed no info on the battery so I'll add it: it is a 51x51x6mm 3.7V 1950mAH battery. Almost no room for something that's even 52x52mm. Looks like a bigger version of what my J3 has. So anyone wanting to replace the battery himself later should take these numbers into account. Replacing the battery will require removing three 1.27mm hex screws: one by the USB socket and two covered by plastic squares at the top (remove these squares with a safety pin), the factory leaves the screws on very tight. The screen together with the motherboard and battery and all must be carefully wedged out then, make sure to remove your SD card prior to trying to wedge it out to avoid the risk of damaging, along with the device being off, of course.

The battery's leads (one white, one brown) are terminated to a tiny Molex-like connector; you'll probably want to snip it off and carefully reterminate a new battery with it so the battery can be plugged into the male socket on the motherboard. Heatshrink/liquid electrical tape will be needed to shield the joints from each other and Z2's internals. I forgot to check the polarity of the leads.

Also, I can't download applications at all from the Play Market without the Market instantly crashing if I try.
My Z2 battery finally died on me after all these years! Used quite regularly too. Sad, but I have the P1 so I am covered. However I have a warning for all who try to get a replacement battery for the Z2. As Mad Max states the battery space is tight and there simply is nothing out there that fits.

I tried AliExpress and got ripped off by a chap called Shop3566010 Store. I will try and attach photos. When I initiated a dispute, AliExpress claimed they can't see any difference in the batteries and refused to refund my money. I couldn't believe it, but I guess they know there's nothing you can do to them. You can't travel from Europe to China over this, and that is how they get you everytime.

In the attached pictures, the original is the smaller battery. You can see from the second picture that it just doesn't fit into the battery compartment. AliExpress says that is besides the point! It appears they are no different from the other scam shops in China.

Attachments

• IMG_20210722_070745_143.jpg
    IMG_20210722_070745_143.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210722_070431_503.jpg
    IMG_20210722_070431_503.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back