COWON Z2 - The complete Review (from Izzi going)
Jul 5, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #316 of 542
Quote:
^ Thanks for the info.

I managed to figure out using the CowonAmerica website which showed the step-by-step guide to it with some pictures. I guess I wasn't smart enough for the main Cowon website's instructions haha!

Now I need to start installing Neutron or what's it called - am I right?

Also how the hell do I get rid of these sound effect soundbits from my music folder? I get interrupted once in a while with device sound effects that shouldn't be there at all.

How do you use the Z2 as an internet phone? What do I put under "server"? I'm confused..

Many thanks for the answers/replies!

In order to get Neutron to ur Z2, you will need to have access to googleplay.

Neutron music player is an android apps, thus u need to access googleplay.

You do not need to root your Z2, but rather download the apk file from anythingbutipod.com forums, just do a simple search or go under cowon Z2 sub forums.

Sound effect soundbits? what's that? When u do start ur Z2, there's quite a few apps that opens automatically, ull have to manually stop them under ur ram.

The Z2 acts as a internet phone through some apps such as korea's preloaded kakaotalk. But u need to link it to your local wi-fi first. Z2 doesn't support a sim card so no way ull get mobile broadband.

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #317 of 542
This is so annoying - how do I get rid of those sound effect files from showing up under "songs"? I don't want to delete them because they might come useful for sound effects on the Cowon... but I am thinking about surgically removing them from the system if I can't have another solution. It is interfering my songs.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #318 of 542
Quote:
This is so annoying - how do I get rid of those sound effect files from showing up under "songs"? I don't want to delete them because they might come useful for sound effects on the Cowon... but I am thinking about surgically removing them from the system if I can't have another solution. It is interfering my songs.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

why not surf your songs under "folders" instead of "songs"?
I'm not longer using the default music player, but I've only chanced upon a iaudiophile song in my library which they apparently had it as a sample music on Z2 itself.

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #319 of 542
^ Thanks again Muscular.

The problem is that if I don't use the default music player, I am afraid that I'm wasting the BBE/user input effects included with the player.

I think Neutron is a trial software but is there another alternative that sounds good? Thanks

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #320 of 542
Quote:
^ Thanks again Muscular.

The problem is that if I don't use the default music player, I am afraid that I'm wasting the BBE/user input effects included with the player.

I think Neutron is a trial software but is there another alternative that sounds good? Thanks

the BBE EQ settings can be applied globally under settings -> sounds

took me a minute to figure this out too but the BBE EQ works this way with all sound output.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #321 of 542
Quote:
^ Thanks again Muscular.

Neutron requires you pay $4.90 USD.

What u have now is a trial version that lasts for 5 days, but seriously, if we afford $250 on the Z2, whats another $4.90 if it has a significant enough difference.

I have to say it took me lots of energy and a week's time to realise the SQ difference between poweramp and neutron. Silly me to diss neutron at first due to the lesser popularity and poorer UI. But having heard neutron, i couldn't go back to poweramp nor the jet audio.

There's a thread around regarding android music amps, u could take a look, but favourable apps includes winamp, poweramp and neutron.

While some people has gotten a Cowon for its BBE, it's really a thing in the past for S9 and J3 users. I've never had a thing or two for BBE, it made bass punchy but a tad painful on my silver recabled IE8.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #322 of 542
Thanks you two for your input on it.

I'm currently having problems using the Play/Pause buttons (tactile buttons) on the side. They seem not to be function even though they had worked before. The volume button works. Is there a setting that I have that prevents that?

Thanks again.

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #323 of 542
I've noticed as well that the play/pause and track buttons can have a bit of a mind of their own, especially after opening up a few third party players.  For whatever reason, some work great with the side buttons, some work part of the time, and some just seem to hijack the process altogether (cowon's own jetaudio app is the worst offender in this regard).  However, most if not all issues with the side buttons can be alleviated by either hitting the free ram button the notification bar or individually closing down programs in the task manager.  Its not an ideal solution by far, but it should help 95% of the way.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #324 of 542
Problem with side buttons is that multiple music apps uses them.

For one, if u no longer use jet audio, u can disable side button for it, so it doesn't conflict with other music app.

Have anyone sound a solution to disabling startup apps? some of the apps are quite persistant in starting up.

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #326 of 542
Quote:
I've noticed as well that the play/pause and track buttons can have a bit of a mind of their own, especially after opening up a few third party players.  For whatever reason, some work great with the side buttons, some work part of the time, and some just seem to hijack the process altogether (cowon's own jetaudio app is the worst offender in this regard).  However, most if not all issues with the side buttons can be alleviated by either hitting the free ram button the notification bar or individually closing down programs in the task manager.  Its not an ideal solution by far, but it should help 95% of the way.

Isn't there also a 7 second timeout after which the playback buttons don't work unless you turn the screen on again? I think I saw this in a Z2 review on iaudiophile forums.

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #328 of 542
@muscular sorry to bring an old conversation but what kind of portable amps should I be looking at? I asked earlier but I assumed you forgot, due to helping everyone else out which is cool. I want a portable amp for volume, occasional bass and helping the mids a bit. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #329 of 542
@muscular sorry to bring an old conversation but what kind of portable amps should I be looking at? I asked earlier but I assumed you forgot, due to helping everyone else out which is cool. I want a portable amp for volume, occasional bass and helping the mids a bit. 

I don't have a vast enough knowledge about amp as I don't extensively use them.
But to the best of my knowledge and testing, it doesn't make much SQ diifference.
U can settle for a decent amp with bass boost such as the digizoid Z02 if ur budge is on the low side.

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #330 of 542
Hi I am new to this site but it seems awesome!

Right i need some advice.... I have been a massive fan of cowon and have owned the s9 for a number of years. I want to upgrade to the z2 but not sure if it is worth the money.

The only thing i really care about is the sound quality - thats why i love the s9.

I have an iphone so not to sure about the whole android thing although im pretty tech savvy to get used to it.

My main question is that - Is the sound better on the z2 to the s9 BBE effects blah blah?

I dont mind installing android apps like neutron or poweramp but are they better than than the default z2 BBE effects (which made the old cowon s9 the best in the market)?

For me it seems weird to shell out £300 pounds on a shell of an mp3 player to have to install android apps. And if there is no improvements in sound why bother...i have an s9 even though its old.

I have a a pretty dam good set of headphones as well to make the most of the quality. (B&W P-5)

Hope somebody gets what i mean???

Nevsie 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back