Cowon Plenue P1
Nov 17, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #2,416 of 2,974
Can anyone tell me if it's worth adding a good DAC/headphone amp to the P1? I have a Cayin amp but looking to upgrade 
specifically to the Oppo HA-2. Would that work even though it doubles as a DAC I believe?

I think the P1 is excellent on its own. Has plenty of power and the SQ is top notch. I absolutely love this player. I've added external amps and also tried the Mojo with it, and the difference is negligible.

The one time I heard an improvement was stacking the Mojo and my Valhalla 2 paired with my HD 650s.

I also have a Cayin C5, but it doesn't add anything except bass boost.

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #2,417 of 2,974
I would second warrior1975. Considering the technology build into something like the oppo-ha-2 and comparing that with the P1s build in amp, i don't see how you can "add" value to the P1 with something like that. To surpass the build in Amp, you would need to invest considerable more than this, imho.

Frank

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #2,418 of 2,974
Fair enough. However I do feel the Cayin adds a little something...a bit more depth perhaps. But sure...nothing to write home about.

Been told by some reputable members that the Headstage Arrow does add something worthwhile. But it's all opinion and ymmv etc etc

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #2,419 of 2,974
Fair enough. However I do feel the Cayin adds a little something...a bit more depth perhaps. But sure...nothing to write home about.

Been told by some reputable members that the Headstage Arrow does add something worthwhile. But it's all opinion and ymmv etc etc

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #2,420 of 2,974
I am sure other headphone amps all add something or the other, if it's objectively better or not, does not really matter that much. From the pure practicability standpoint though, I see the portable DAC/Headphone camp in divided in roughly 3 consumer groups:

- the guys who want a tad more of their iPhones, so they get a portable amp 
- the guys who have a reasonable DAC and want some more of it, they get a portable amp
- the "high end" guys, who spend some serious money (> 800$) on a DAC with a build in amp.

I feel, personally, that the P1 falls into the last group. If adding a sub that price range AMP would seriously improve the sound, then either the P1 is not as good as it's supposed to be, or I just love to carry multiple devices tied with rubber band, because it draws the ladies.....

As you said, YMMV, but me personally, if i am not satisfied with the P1 as it is, i would probably upgrade to a better one piece unit. From all the portable amps i have around here (granted, only 4 right now), none are as good as the build in P1, to get something that is clearly better, i have to go to my main HiFi and plug the headphones in there (but i wouldn't - my speakers are too good :)). 

Frank

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #2,421 of 2,974
I think you're right. There's no need for the Cayin I've found.
You must have 4 redundant amps? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Not sure I agree with the ladies flocking to men with strap-ons mind. Though, saying that...:grimacing::scream:

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #2,422 of 2,974
If anyone is interested, there is an open box gold P1 going for £486.72 on advanced MP3 players:

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Cowon.609/COWONP1/Cowon_Plenue_1__P1__High_Resolution__World_s_Finest_DAC__128GB_Music_Player_Special_Edition.14507.html#pClearance7155

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Nov 20, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #2,424 of 2,974
how does the cowon p1 sound with the roxanne ??

can it drive the roxanne 1 ?? i like ear bursting volume !!

also is there any hissss ??

thanks !
No hiss, drives it easily.

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #2,425 of 2,974
so basically now ive decided that the features i want arent availble as of now . 

I want something that looks exactly like the cowon p1 , am in love with the look and feel ,

in it i want an amazing UI, wifi, bluetooth, double sd slots, an awesome EQ, and no hissssss with the roxanne ., LOL

i guess am basically waiting for the p2 to come out , WITH THE ABOVE FEATURES !!

can some1 get this message to cowon please !!!

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #2,426 of 2,974
Any difference between gold and regular version? I really love this player so much. I wish Cowon would make an update to it, improving on it, somehow. Not the S. More than just balanced. I just don't know what they could do to improve it sonically.

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,427 of 2,974
Any difference between gold and regular version? I really love this player so much. I wish Cowon would make an update to it, improving on it, somehow. Not the S. More than just balanced. I just don't know what they could do to improve it sonically.

All P1 colors are the same. Why they ask 699.00 for black and 1,000.00 for silver is beyond logic.

I think they can make improvements by the following:

1. Letting us modify the locked audio presets or at least see what they are so we can build off of them.
2. It would also be neat if they did away with all the reverb settings and provide something more functional like Dolby or Surround etc.
3. Add more frequencies like a 21 band or let us create a frequency we want instead of only 3 preset ones for each region.

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #2,429 of 2,974
Cowon should make a 3K dap.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,430 of 2,974
If it was an improvement over the P1 I'd buy it. Not just balanced. Real improvements.

I'm having a small issue with my P1. It's happened occasionally in the past but 3 times in last 15-20 minutes. Plays a few songs and shuts down. Reboot it manually, it goes back to the first song I heard originally. Very weird. It's not hot. I just out it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back